Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
Rumor has it Pryor is done at OSU, so probably.

I don't see how he plays again. There also could be more players (quite a few more) suspended next year if we find out all of the names of active players trading memorabilia for tats. I wouldn't be surprised if several players try to get into the supplmental draft that it's been confirmed will happen, and that list starts with Pryor.

In my opinion, Pryor is going to be an absolutely hated man in Columbus from now on. Obviously he was the MVP of two different BCS games and won a ton of games, but the only memories of him will be no national titles, being amazingly stupid, and playing a huge role in getting Tressel run out of town. Even though he's far from the only guy who received things he shouldn't have, Pryor will be looked at as the guy who lead to Tressel's downfall. In fact, that narrative is already playing out in many corners of the media.

Lastly, in regards to Tressel, I really don't think he's scum or a bad guy. No matter how much more we find out, what has happened at Ohio State isn't a lot different than other schools, except they did a terrible job of keeping it quiet. My issue with Tressel is he pretended to be different, and to have moral authority, when really he's no different than every other coach in the sense than he just ignored a lot of things going on behind the scenes.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
I don't see how he plays again. There also could be more players (quite a few more) suspended next year if we find out all of the names of active players trading memorabilia for tats. I wouldn't be surprised if several players try to get into the supplmental draft that it's been confirmed will happen, and that list starts with Pryor.

The 5 players in trouble for tats arent going to get more punishment with the possible exception of Pryor. The Car dealership has signed an affidavit that they didnt give any deals or special privileges to OSU players beyond what the public is offered, so if they bust Pryor, it will have to be some concrete proof of something. Regardless the guy is going to get the s*** booed out of him this season. Most of us are ready to just hand the reigns over to Braxton Miller/ Taylor Graham and close the book finally on the Pryor saga. The kid has been a headache from the start apparently, and frankly there is a clear difference between the way that kid lives and kids like Cam Heyward, Anthony Gonzalez, and even current guys like Tyler Moeller behave and respect their roles as OSU football players. I'd rather just purge the program of all of this bulls*** and focus on getting the right types of kids into the program. Woody would have beat the living s*** out of these kids for feeling so entitled.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Ohio State is going to learn to not do the crime, if they can't do the time.

No they won't. They'll continue to do it, just like every major college program continues to do it. The idea that institutions can be 100% in accordance with the rules is a joke.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
No they won't. They'll continue to do it, just like every major college program continues to do it. The idea that institutions can be 100% in accordance with the rules is a joke.

Not even every major program. My small MAC school had players getting "improper benefits" all over town and within the school. All it takes is one vendor giving you a free meal once and its against the rules. LIke I posted before, how in the hell did every single college basketball player across the country afford a $300 pair of headphones?

I truly think most people would be stunned at how athletes on a college campus behave, and the illegal stuff they get away with. I'm not even talking about improper financial benefits. Academic fraud is even a bigger issue, in my opinion.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I truly think most people would be stunned at how athletes on a college campus behave, and the illegal stuff they get away with. I'm not even talking about improper financial benefits. Academic fraud is even a bigger issue, in my opinion.

For sure. At Miami all of the athletes (mostly football players) got to take all of their classes with the coach's wife. She also administered all tests. My buddy who was a starting CB got to modify his course schedule and sometimes was given tests as take homes when the rest of us had to write in blue books with an hour deadline. It was unreal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)

I've actually, at least so far, been impressed by the efforts that UT puts into making sure their athletes are actually taking the classes and passing them legitimately. Although, I can't say that I'm yet at the top level of teaching where I'm the one entering the grades, so I can't tell you that nothing underhanded ever happens, but I haven't hit it yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)

This is completely true, and kind of sad. Academic fraud is even more widespread than illegal financial benefits in my opinion, yet people seem to find it far worse if a poor kid on scholarship gets some extra money for food than for a kid to cheat in order to pass classes.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
This is completely true, and kind of sad. Academic fraud is even more widespread than illegal financial benefits in my opinion, yet people seem to find it far worse if a poor kid on scholarship gets some extra money for food than for a kid to cheat in order to pass classes.

And we're not just talking about getting extra help from tutors or looking over your neighbor's shoulder for an answer to a test question. I'm talking about having someone else take your exam or literally getting credit for attending a class that you didn't show up to at all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
And we're not just talking about getting extra help from tutors or looking over your neighbor's shoulder for an answer to a test question. I'm talking about having someone else take your exam or literally getting credit for attending a class that you didn't show up to at all.

And then being the #1 pick in the NBA draft...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
And then being the #1 pick in the NBA draft...

Haha this is a CLASSIC example of what I was talking about. Derrick Rose cheated on his SAT, yet nobody says a word. Had he received some cash or a car, the perception of him would be completely different.

Because the NCAA only cares about self interest.

If you give athletes money its harder to control them.

If you keep athletes out of college you cant make money off of them.

In a normal world youd imagine that academic cheating would be worse than illegal benefits, but money is what runs NCAA sports.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Haha this is a CLASSIC example of what I was talking about. Derrick Rose cheated on his SAT, yet nobody says a word. Had he received some cash or a car, the perception of him would be completely different.

I dont think it would to be honest. People would still love him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)

Well Memphis did get hurt, and Caliparo firmly established his reputation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Yay! First time I got called out for a iPhone typo!

Yeah, the iPad seems to be even worse...I end up going back and editing half my posts when I use that thing....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)

In Chicago? I agree. Nationwide? I think he'd be looked at a lot differently.

By the way, everytime Jim Tressel has come up recently, I couldn't help but think of this:

Thought this was interesting. This guy worked inside the Arkansas athletic department for 9 years.

link

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules

May 22, 2011 10:52 pm, UTC

By: Flint Harris

That’s it. I have had it with the inane and redundant talk about NCAA football student-athletes, specifically football players, not being able pay for a tank of gas or afford a combo meal at Subway. Stop it! Enough is enough. These kids are given ample resources to “survive” during their years on a college campus, and I will prove it to you. I will show you not only the value of a scholarship, but the cash and benefits student-athletes can get all within NCAA rules.

If this is your first time to Holy Turf, welcome. Let me give you some quick background information. I spent nine years working inside athletic departments at Arkansas and Baylor as an academic advisor for student-athletes. I have seen the inner workings of two athletic departments in two major conferences. Let’s get back to the task at hand. I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas, the home of the Razorbacks. In this article, I am going to use Arkansas as my example.

Before we get to the value of a scholarship, let’s start off with the amount of money available to football student-athletes within NCAA rules.

Pell Grant

Many football student-athletes qualify for a Pell Grant based on several factors, but most earn a Pell Grant based on a lack of wealth from their parents. According to collegeboard.com, “The U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information you supply when applying for a Pell Grant. This formula produces a number called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which determines if you are eligible. The grant requires that you: 1. Are an undergraduate student who has not earned a bachelor’s degree. 2. Are a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen. 3. Have a high school diploma or a GED, or demonstrate the ability to benefit from the program”

A full Pell Grant is worth $5,500 a year and never has to be repaid because it is a grant, not a loan. Football players get $5,500 each year to do with what they want.

Clothing Money

If a football player qualifies for a Pell Grant, they also get $500 of clothing allowance each year. My memory fails me, but I am almost certain this money is from the conference. Football players can buy whatever clothes they want as long as they bring back $500 worth of receipts to their Compliance department showing the clothes they bought. Now, many football players will spend this money on new Nike’s, hats, jeans or t–shirts. This money could be spent on buying a nice suit, or a few pairs of khaki pants and some button down shirts, but rarely is that the case.

Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund

According to Bylaw 15.01.6.2 in the NCAA Manual, each athletic department can use the student-athlete opportunity fund money for anything but financing salaries, scholarships (though paying for summer school is allowed, but a football player’s scholarship covers summer school), capital improvements, stipends, and outside athletic development. The NCAA gives each school a chunk of money each year…roughly $200,000 to help student-athletes out with whatever needs they may have deemed fit by the senior staff member in the athletic department in charge of the money. This money is not just for football, but the entire athletic department. Regardless, if a football player needs money to pay for gas, more new clothes, or a plane ride home, they can legally get money for that.

Special Assistance Fund

Football players also have access to a special assistance fund too. According to NCAA bylaw 16.12.2, money from the special assistance fund may be requested as additional financial aid (with no obligation to repay such aid) for special financial needs for student-athletes. I know one school used this fund to fly their basketball players home for the Christmas break. Completely within NCAA rules.

Room and Board

Football players typically live on campus with a meal plan at the dining hall during their freshman years. In this case, their scholarship covers all of the cost for their dorm room and meal plan. Most players will live off campus after their freshman year as long as the coach allows it, which is usually determined by how the student-athlete is doing in school. Football players living off campus get a room and board check equal to the amount their university lists in the costs to attend. For Arkansas, it is $4,021 for each fall and spring semester based off of this figure. A total of $8,024 for both semesters. Almost all scholarship football players stay in town for summer school to take care of their academics and workout. Arkansas has 16-week fall and spring semesters. The two summer sessions are a total of 12 weeks. Using that logic, Arkansas football players get 75% (12 weeks instead of 16) of $4,021, which is $3,016.

Here is one non-monetary benefit that may interest readers.

Occasional Meal

NCAA Bylaw 16.11.1.5 allows for a student-athlete or an entire team in a sport to have an occasional meal paid for by a representative of athletics interest, also known as a booster, on infrequent and special occasions. The booster can even provide local transportation as long as the meal is at the booster’s house and not a restaurant. The meal cannot be at a house, but can be catered. The meal can be as lavish as the booster wants to provide. Most schools have a form for boosters to fill out before hosting a student-athlete or team. This is another way to feed student-athletes.

The typical non-freshman Arkansas football player received the cash listed below in 2010-11:

$5,500- Pell Grant

$500- Clothing Fund

$8,024- Fall and Spring Room and Board

$3,016- Summer Room and Board

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college? If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes to make what they get from their football scholarship and other available money sources.

How much does it cost to live in an apartment in Fayetteville? One of, if not, the nicest apartments on the edge of campus costs $480 per person for a two bedroom apartment. Another nice apartment about a mile from campus costs $350 per person for a two bedroom apartment. If we split the difference at $415 per person, our football players have over $1,000 remaining from their monthly income after paying for rent and remember, they have no bills for tuition, books, or fees. Still think these guys cannot afford a tank of gas, a date, or any other reasonable expenditure for a college student?

Football is a ‘head count’ sport according to the NCAA. This means that football student-athletes are either on a full scholarship or not on any athletic scholarship. There is no middle ground. A full scholarship covers tuition, fees, books, room, and board. We covered the money a football player actually receives. Now, we will look at the added value of a scholarship. At Arkansas a student taking 30 credit hours would pay just under $8,000 as an in-state student for tuition, fees, and books. A non-resident would pay $17,162 for the same. Many football players will also take summer school during both summer sessions. The average expense for an in-state student taking nine summer hours is roughly $2,000. For an out of state student, the cost is closer to $4,500.

Scholarships are renewable each year for up to five years while student-athletes can only compete four seasons. Coaches can choose to not award a scholarship to a returning student-athlete at the end of each year for any reason. For our sake, we will assume our football players will be at school for five years because many redshirt or lose a year to a medical redshirt. In-state Arkansas students get $50,000 in value over five years from their scholarship covering tuition, books, and fees to go along with the roughly $17,000 a year we calculated above. In total, a football scholarship is worth $135,000 to football player at Arkansas from the state of Arkansas. Football players from out of state get roughly $108,000 in value over five years from their scholarship covering tuition, books, and fees in addition to the $17,000 a year listed above for a five year value of roughly $193,000.

I am not sure if I changed your mind on whether or not athletes should get paid, but next time you hear a talking head whining about football players not being able to afford money for a tank of gas or to take a lady out on a date you will know the facts. Most football players at BCS schools have a surplus of cash each month to spend however they choose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)

I love his game, but it has forever cemented the reputation with me that my bottle of gatorade has a higher IQ. If you need to have someone else take your SAT for you to get into Memphis? Yeah, that is pretty bad.