Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

I honestly thought the offense played a role in Michigan's defensive struggles. They offense was explosive, but the part of the problem with that is when you score quick your defense has to get right back on the field and doesnt get as much rest. Could be just me, I just never thought it was a great fit for Michigan, but should be good for Big 10 overall to have Michigan back to balance out the 2 divisions.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
I honestly thought the offense played a role in Michigan's defensive struggles. They offense was explosive, but the part of the problem with that is when you score quick your defense has to get right back on the field and doesnt get as much rest. Could be just me, I just never thought it was a great fit for Michigan, but should be good for Big 10 overall to have Michigan back to balance out the 2 divisions.

I think there is some validity to that. But many of the missed assignments and missed tackles had nothing to do with that. It was a combination of poor play, less than elite talent, schemes and TOP.

Saw these tweets today. Take them as you may.

Hearing Jim Delany will push to NCAA Ohio St. losing non-conference games as way around TV ban.

No, they won't play them. Cancelled. RT @SpreadHDGFX: @SPORTSbyBROOKS so only their non-conf games will be TV ban?

It's to hit Ohio St. in the wallet, w/out injuring Big 10.RT @SpreadHDGFX: @SPORTSbyBROOKS oh wow

All from Sports by Brooks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Should be a fun year in the Big 10, my only complaint is the selection of Indy for the title game. It should be outdoors because that is what Big 10 football is about.

This again?

BEAR WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!!1!!1111! BIG TEN WEATHER!!!!11!1!!11111!!!1

First off, isn't Indy retractable? So they could leave it open if the weather is not awful.

They do it to give the players the best possible opportunity to play well, and not have the game partially/mainly decided by a s*** show of weather.

There's a reason they put all the important bowl games/nc in good weather.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
Saw these tweets today. Take them as you may.

All from Sports by Brooks.

I take Sports by Brooks with a very small grain of salt. That said, I did hear that the NCAA was going to/would consider a TV ban for Ohio St. No one said it will happen, just that it would be "on the table" in terms of potential punishments. My guess is that it does not happen, but who knows?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
First off, isn't Indy retractable? So they could leave it open if the weather is not awful.

They do it to give the players the best possible opportunity to play well, and not have the game partially/mainly decided by a s*** show of weather.

There's a reason they put all the important bowl games/nc in good weather.

Have you ever seen the roof retract when the Colts play?

The roof is retractable, but I can not recall watching a game with it open, although I dont watch a lot of Colts games. But Im not sure thats part of the argument as one of the reasons it was selected was weather, so that suggests the Big 10 is probably going to want the roof closed.

I also disagree with the 2nd and 3rd statements. The first statement because weather is part of sports and playing in the weather is part of being the best team. I personally dont think weather ruins games, it may change how a game is to be played, but I always feel that the best teams can handle it.

For the 3rd statement bowl games/nc games are held in nicer weather for the fans. You could have a NC game outdoors in Florida or California. Both locations could potentially have rain, isnt rain weather? From most things Ive heard its been for the fans, not for the players. If outdoor football was bad and weather ruined the game, wouldnt they just make it like basketball where all of the stadiums are indoors?

To me football is an outdoor sport, and Im pretty sure that every Big 10 team plays in an outdoor stadium. Yet you are going to decide the championship in an indoor environment? Thats just not consistent. Either weather is a problem and ruins games, thus all should be played indoors, or weather isnt a problem and games can be played outdoors.

First off weather is something that happens, no team plans their strategy/roster around it.

I am not 9 years old, so I get over the "HEY LOOK IT'S SNOWING" thing pretty quickly when a game is on.

I want teams and players to perform at their best, and have the optimal conditions to do so. Who cares if that is indoors? I'd rather watch that than a December championship game with a foot of snow on the ground, neutralizing the teams.

Why do people b**** about the field at Soldier Field? Who cares then? They should just be able to play in a cow pasture, who cares about field quality.

This is my last post on the issue, because its really not worth arguing with someone who doesnt understand that people are entitled to their own opinions. If you like indoor football and championship games being played indoors, that is great. I personally dont, that doesnt mean Im 9, it just means that for many reasons I think that it doesnt make sense to play the entire season 1 way and then the Championship game another.

So Im just going to bow out and admit that all football games should be played indoor like arena league, because that is Illinikrush's opinion and any other opinion is that of a 9 year old.

Was fun to have a good football conversation while it lasted.

This is a message board, yes?

You make it sound like the entire season is played in awful weather games. Mind you the season starts in September. Does it really make a huge difference if there is a roof over the field, thereby making it better conditions = a better played game?

Its my opinion, youre entitled to yours, thats why its a message board.

It looks like Russel Wilson will transfer to Wisconsin, so hopefully the QB situation has resolved itself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/i...s-man-in-wilson

Also Zach Brown transferred from Wisconsin to Pitt, good luck to Zach he was a quality guy and unfortunately just got buried in a very deep Wisconsin backfield.

Just looking at the tv schedule for that opening Thursday on ESPN and it's a total s***fest. Usually there is atleast one game worth watching just because its the opening night but there is not one game on here that is halfway intriguing.

Thu., Sept. 1 Murray State at Louisville 6 p.m. ESPNU

Thu., Sept. 1 North Texas at Florida International 7 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Villanova at Temple 7 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Western Carolina at Georgia Tech 7:30 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 UNLV at Wisconsin 8 p.m. ESPN

Thu., Sept. 1 Wake Forest at Syracuse 8 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky (from Nashville) 9:15 p.m. ESPNU

Fri., Sept. 2 TCU at Baylor 8 p.m. ESPN

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Nice knowing ya Chip Kelly and Oregon....

yahoo link

They're hiring for a job I'll be applying for. Considering that as soon as I arrived at Tennessee, the whole Kiffin thing broke...followed by the Pearl thing, I'm hoping this is a good sign.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
Just looking at the tv schedule for that opening Thursday on ESPN and it's a total s***fest. Usually there is atleast one game worth watching just because its the opening night but there is not one game on here that is halfway intriguing.

Thu., Sept. 1 Murray State at Louisville 6 p.m. ESPNU

Thu., Sept. 1 North Texas at Florida International 7 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Villanova at Temple 7 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Western Carolina at Georgia Tech 7:30 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 UNLV at Wisconsin 8 p.m. ESPN

Thu., Sept. 1 Wake Forest at Syracuse 8 p.m. ESPN3.com

Thu., Sept. 1 Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky (from Nashville) 9:15 p.m. ESPNU

Fri., Sept. 2 TCU at Baylor 8 p.m. ESPN

TCU/Baylor should be at least decent. I guess. Maybe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
They're hiring for a job I'll be applying for. Considering that as soon as I arrived at Tennessee, the whole Kiffin thing broke...followed by the Pearl thing, I'm hoping this is a good sign.

Out of curiousity is your job to take down major programs?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
This is my last post on the issue, because its really not worth arguing with someone who doesnt understand that people are entitled to their own opinions. If you like indoor football and championship games being played indoors, that is great. I personally dont, that doesnt mean Im 9, it just means that for many reasons I think that it doesnt make sense to play the entire season 1 way and then the Championship game another.

So Im just going to bow out and admit that all football games should be played indoor like arena league, because that is Illinikrush's opinion and any other opinion is that of a 9 year old.

Was fun to have a good football conversation while it lasted.

I have a question for you. I agree with Illini but can understand why people like the game outdoors, but say they played the game at Soldier Field, and your team, I'm guessing Wisconsin by your name was playing. Would you rather have it be a 60 degree day with perfect conditions, a 12 degree day with wind and some snow, 45 with rain? The only way to guarantee the weather is to play indoors and I don't think football is really too different of a game indoors than out with the conditions the same. Almost all Big Ten teams play on turf now. All you are eliminating is possible rain or snow, wind and cold. The dimensions and playing surface is the same. I think it helps determine the best team, rather than some fluke.

Of course I've never been big on watching the games in the snow. I did used to love the games that were muddy, but there aren't many of those anymore.