Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

I listened to the interview live yesterday. That is a lot of spin and from my initial take I didn't hear anything too alarming from her conversations. She spoke very generally on ocassions but never said anything too indicative of the program, if at all. Some of those quotes aren't even that legit and are taken a bit out of context from what was said in its entirety.

This is a whole to do about nothing and I actually was pretty impressed with Colt's wife. She was very poised. Not sure why she called but she was good on the show and it was a great listen to.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
This is a whole to do about nothing and I actually was pretty impressed with Colt's wife. She was very poised. Not sure why she called but she was good on the show and it was a great listen to.

I bet the interview would have been even better on TV...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Will the media start digging around in Austin?

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b9N5P

If their coach tries to hide this for months upon months, and then their athletic department puts together a half-assed, short investigation that covers a lot of things up? Then I would say they probably will.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think the whole vacating titles thing is kind of stupid, but I would be extremely amused if they vacated OSU's Sugar Bowl win last year. Tressel saw the writing on the wall so he went with the 5-game suspension for the meaningless 2011 games, so his top players can play in the BCS game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
If their coach tries to hide this for months upon months, and then their athletic department puts together a half-assed, short investigation that covers a lot of things up? Then I would say they probably will.

Ah yes, back to my team of course. Actually OSU's investigation is what turned up the emails that showed Tressel lied to the NCAA. If they did it half assed, they wouldnt have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Ah yes, back to my team of course. Actually OSU's investigation is what turned up the emails that showed Tressel lied to the NCAA. If they did it half assed, they wouldnt have.

Ohio State DIDN'T half ass their investigation? I'm just going to assume you're joking, because such a statement can't be made in any other fashion. The fact that their investigation came up with anything just shows how deep and far all of this went.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
Ohio State DIDN'T half ass their investigation? I'm just going to assume you're joking, because such a statement can't be made in any other fashion. The fact that their investigation came up with anything just shows how deep and far all of this went.

I get the impression you think it's over already, and that's ok if you think that. But it's not true.

Second, who determined Tressel lied?

Who forced Tressel, the second best coach in OSU history out of the door?

Who just advised Pryor that he should leave or he will be kicked out?

It's all part of the original investigation, the difference now is that there are also NCAA folks with them. And I hope they find every last piece of bulls*** and rid it from the program. The media can focus on "ex friends" and lying about players that don't even have Tats and still had all of their memorabilia. The university and the NCAA will find the real s***, and hopefully get all of it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Who forced Tressel, the second best coach in OSU history out of the door?

They did, because it was obvious they needed to do so in hopes of decreasing the penalties from the NCAA. Had they somehow let him stay, it would end up being much worse. They don't really deserve credit for that move...come on.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
They did, because it was obvious they needed to do so in hopes of decreasing the penalties from the NCAA. Had they somehow let him stay, it would end up being much worse. They don't really deserve credit for that move...come on.

Actually they fired him because he violated his contract (the board did this) because of the material found during their investigation including thousands of emails and hundreds of thousands of phone calls analyzed. Obviously they should have fired him soon, but you missed the entire point by splicing out one line of my post. Their internal investigation is the only thing that found his lies. A half-assed one would have missed it, ignored it, or even lied about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Actually they fired him because he violated his contract (the board did this) because of the material found during their investigation including thousands of emails and hundreds of thousands of phone calls analyzed. Obviously they should have fired him soon, but you missed the entire point by splicing out one line of my post. Their internal investigation is the only thing that found his lies. A half-assed one would have missed it, ignored it, or even lied about it.

Until they had to turnover said evidence to the NCAA's eventual investigation, at which time they would have gotten into much, more more trouble, ala USC. This wasn't benevolent OSU, this was covering its ass OSU.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Until they had to turnover said evidence to the NCAA's eventual investigation, at which time they would have gotten into much, more more trouble, ala USC. This wasn't benevolent OSU, this was covering its ass OSU.

Maybe its better I stay out of this thread until August since everything I say is looked at differently than what I actually posted. My point was that they didnt half ass an ONGOING investigation, not that they were benevolent. Maybe my definition of half-assed is different than most people, because I dont think its accurate when people are actually doing work that brings about more things to report to the NCAA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Maybe its better I stay out of this thread until August since everything I say is looked at differently than what I actually posted. My point was that they didnt half ass an ONGOING investigation, not that they were benevolent. Maybe my definition of half-assed is different than most people, because I dont think its accurate when people are actually doing work that brings about more things to report to the NCAA.

Im not an expert at college sports by any means, but you are clearly biased I think is the biggest problem. You are possibly a bigger OSU fan than Wsox fan so while one benefit of that is you seemingly have inside info on the situation, you also clearly show a bias in all your posts regarding OSU.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Im not an expert at college sports by any means, but you are clearly biased I think is the biggest problem. You are possibly a bigger OSU fan than Wsox fan so while one benefit of that is you seemingly have inside info on the situation, you also clearly show a bias in all your posts regarding OSU.

Yes, there is a bias toward OSU with Rock, as there would be with anyone's team. I admittedly was quite biased when everyone started all the rumors about Dickhead Sampson at IU. Granted, I thought there was no way anyone would be that stupid, but that's a whole other discussion.

Aside from Rock's initial reaction to the very beginning of this mess, I feel like he has been more than fair and while biased, he hasn't buried his head in the sand at all. I think Rock knows there is more coming and we haven't heard about everything yet. He has stated that in so many words at least a few times. While I would like to know what he thinks is coming out (you can PM me Rock lol), I respect his decision to simply sit back and wait for that proverbial shoe to drop. I've heard/read all kinds of rumors about impending info coming out of Columbus from more about cars, to drugs to steroids, etc. Who the hell knows what is true and what isn't. I don't know whether OSU investigated the situation half-assed or very well. None of us do. We don't know what information they have that we do not and what the NCAA knows or will find.

Being a Michigan fan, I don't mind seeing OSU knocked off its comfy perch atop the Big Ten, but I would rather that happened because UM got their stuff together and was the one that knocked them off. I don't think scandals are good for college football as a whole, but at the same time, if things need to be cleaned up, scandals may be necessary. I don't agree with the bury your head in the sand approach but I don't wish major sanctions on any program. I guess I fall under the category of do the right things in the first place.

I want to add to my comments in my previous post....

None of what is going on in college sports is new. Cheating has been going on for years. While we blame 18-21 year olds for making bad decisions (and we should) we tend to forget the example being set by the coaches. When coaches make phone calls they shouldn't, they are implicitly stating to the player that the small rules don't matter. I really think this is as big of a problem as anything. College coaches, especially in today's world, go out of their way to stretch the rules as far as they can, even when they aren't breaking them. They are lauded in the media for being smart. There is a reason the NCAA has as many rules as it does. Not because they are stupid, but because kids, parents, coaches and administrators break them or circumvent them for their own gain.

There is no such thing as the spirit of the rule now. Coaches bend the rules as far as they can. Kids are getting the message early that some rules matter and others don't. They are being taught by the example of their mentors that its okay to bend the rules and there are different interpretations of what breaking them is.

Ultimately we, the fans are as much to blame as anyone. We demand wins and championships. When our team wins a National Championship (which is extremely difficult to do in any sport) fans are looking for #2. When it doesn't happen and a team has a tough season, fans are calling for the coaches head. College coaches are paid huge money and must deal with the pressure placed on them by fans and media alike. Fans follow recruiting to the point of practically labeling a kid as a star as early as 14-15 years old (more so in basketball). Everyone tells kids how good they are and the superstar mentality starts well before they arrive in college. All of these ingredients fit into the recipe that we call major college sports today.

All that said, no I am not suggesting we make major college sports Ivy League-like. I love big time college athleticis. There is no way to have a "pure" sport based on all the TV, media and money involved. People are going to cheat. Always have been. Hell, Bear Bryant used to put football players on golf scholarships just so they wouldn't go to another school to compete against him. Wasn't against the rules at the time, but it's things like that that change the way the game is today.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to a new era of Michigan football. UM is quietly putting together one hell of a recruiting class for 2012, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know there will be a transition period, but I am curious to see what they do with Denard Robinson and the offense and how much influence Greg Mattison will have on the D.

Yeah now that Rodriquez is gone, Michigan is once again something to worry about in the Big 10. I know some Michigan fans liked him, but his system just never made sense because Michigan got top of the line talent, so they should just be lining up and mauling teams, not running a spread option.

As for next year, should be a good battle with Wisconsin and OSU for the Leaders division. Wisconsin has a huge question at QB, but otherwise returns most of the team that went to the Rose Bowl. Because Wisconsin's offense is run first, the hope is that the QB doenst have a ton of responsibility, but only has to manage the game and not make mistakes.

Should be a fun year in the Big 10, my only complaint is the selection of Indy for the title game. It should be outdoors because that is what Big 10 football is about.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
Yeah now that Rodriquez is gone, Michigan is once again something to worry about in the Big 10. I know some Michigan fans liked him, but his system just never made sense because Michigan got top of the line talent, so they should just be lining up and mauling teams, not running a spread option.

As for next year, should be a good battle with Wisconsin and OSU for the Leaders division. Wisconsin has a huge question at QB, but otherwise returns most of the team that went to the Rose Bowl. Because Wisconsin's offense is run first, the hope is that the QB doenst have a ton of responsibility, but only has to manage the game and not make mistakes.

Should be a fun year in the Big 10, my only complaint is the selection of Indy for the title game. It should be outdoors because that is what Big 10 football is about.

Run first? Ya think?? Wisconsin threw one pass in the second half against Michigan last year and still ran it down our throats. That one pass was the 2nd or 3rd play of the half and was picked off, I think. Run first is a bit of an understatement. lol

I am looking forward to getting back to a more pro-style offense at Michigan. While Rodriguez' offense wasn't my favorite, it was explosive at times. It was the defense that killed me, never more evident in the last three games of last year. UGLY!