Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Big 12 love-in continues as they are now going to share 76% of all tv revenue equally, up twenty-some percent from before. This was decided unanimously.

In stranger news, Iowa State is now on TV nationally at least three times. When I think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I think ISU-Oklahoma on FX, being called by Gus Johnson.

Oh, and Jas - Iowa @ Iowa State, 11 AM CT, FSN.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Apparently at least two current Buckeyes are suing Sports Illustrated for defamation because they were "named" as players that have traded items for tats. One player, Storm Klein, doesnt even have a single tattoo.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1076671.html

SI should be ashamed of that article. It's sloppy journalism as is, and putting the name of a guy in there with no tats? Not to mention, the article really didn't have any huge new developments in it, just some quotes from shoddy characters and expansion on the tat stories, some of which may not be true.

A program like Ohio State isn't exactly difficult to get dirt on and run through the mud right now, yet they come up with that article. Brutal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
The Big 12 love-in continues as they are now going to share 76% of all tv revenue equally, up twenty-some percent from before. This was decided unanimously.

In stranger news, Iowa State is now on TV nationally at least three times. When I think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I think ISU-Oklahoma on FX, being called by Gus Johnson.

Oh, and Jas - Iowa @ Iowa State, 11 AM CT, FSN.

That's awesome, so now the UCONN, Iowa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State games are all on national TV. Go Clones.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
Thought this was interesting. This guy worked inside the Arkansas athletic department for 9 years.

link

I've been singing that song for a long time. He put it together with much more detail than I ever could have, but to act as if athletes are being totally used is ridiculous. One thing he didn't mention is that they also have training tables, team meals during the season made specifically for them. That is at home. When on the road, they are taken out to restaurants as a team sometimes and also given a per diem for meals when on the road. Maybe football players don't get it because meals are provided for them, but everytime we had an overnight trip in baseball we got our envelope with cash to spend as we wished. It wasn't a lot, but it could easily cover meals.

I know a lot of schools/campuses/cities are different, but another thing many of the baseball players did is rent a house and 5-6 guys live together. Splitting rent that way gave all of them more than if they got their own apartment.

No one is saying the system is perfect, but it is far from as broken as many want to make us believe.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
No one is saying the system is perfect, but it is far from as broken as many want to make us believe.

"Not being broken in this particular way" doesn't mean that it isn't horribly broken in other ways. The fact that I'm typing right now doesn't mean my knees won't kill me in a second when I stand up to walk to the fridge.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
USC stripped of 2004 Nat'l Championship

LOL at Wikipedia's BCS Champ. game site:

No champion due to NCAA sanctions to USC, by June 6, 2011 decision of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee. 2004 championship will remain permanently vacant. Cough Cough THEY STILL WON Cough Cough

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
LOL at Wikipedia's BCS Champ. game site:

No champion due to NCAA sanctions to USC, by June 6, 2011 decision of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee. 2004 championship will remain permanently vacant. Cough Cough THEY STILL WON Cough Cough

Meh. You really can't name the other team champion because you don't know for a fact they would've beat the team that would've been allowed to play in the game which is why I think they are doing this. I see similar fates to OSU and Auburn in the future.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Meh. You really can't name the other team champion because you don't know for a fact they would've beat the team that would've been allowed to play in the game which is why I think they are doing this. I see similar fates to OSU and Auburn in the future.

And what title would OSU be vacating?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
vs Miami. Guarantee they reopen up the Clarett case. Everyone dismissed him because he seemed crazy back in the day. Bet you they take a look at them again and go deeper.

I can't believe there will be a re-investigation of something a decade ago.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
vs Miami. Guarantee they reopen up the Clarett case. Everyone dismissed him because he seemed crazy back in the day. Bet you they take a look at them again and go deeper.

LOL.

I guess the jail time never convinced you huh. I'll be waiting on pins and needles for your "guarantee" to come true.

Edited by RockRaines

lol, no chance Ohio St loses 2002. They shouldnt either. It's been 10 years. If the NCAA goes that far back to take away a title, just about ever team from the 90s and 80s are in trouble.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
lol, no chance Ohio St loses 2002. They shouldnt either. It's been 10 years. If the NCAA goes that far back to take away a title, just about ever team from the 90s and 80s are in trouble.

I mean you could do it, but you better have something really new and really blatant that comes out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
Tennessee Athletic Director Mike Hamilton to resign.

Not good. I like Mike a lot... I just hope we don't even consider Fulmer. That would be a terrible decision.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

I'd love to know how Ohio State football is not a case of lack of institutional control. For the record, I don't think they'll end up being sanctioned for that. But it wouldn't be hard to argue they should. The policies and procedures seem to have been in place, but it doesn't seem like they were being monitored or enforced.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

I'd love to know how Ohio State football is not a case of lack of institutional control. For the record, I don't think they'll end up being sanctioned for that. But it wouldn't be hard to argue they should. The policies and procedures seem to have been in place, but it doesn't seem like they were being monitored or enforced.

If someone knew about violations, then it will be. Of course using a "source" thats not reliable hasnt been very successful thus far, at least for SI.