Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

Danman,

I dont know what schools are available to the Big 10. I merely stated that if I had a choice, the schools Id look towards are: UNC, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, GTech, etc. Your response was that academics dont matter. I never said what the standards are, I dont think they are objective, I think they are subjective. In my opinion the Big 10 took a weaker academic school in Nebraska, and now needs to balance that with some stronger academic schools. Im not sure where you are going with this.

bmags,

That is great, I hope everyone that goes to undergraduate school loves their school. Im pretty sure the rankings have nothing to do with who learns more, but instead are about the prestige of the school and how the degree looks on the wall.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally would have greatly preferred Mizzou over Nebraska, I think there would have been some absolutely great rivals coming from that, not only with Illinois but also Iowa. They also have a good basketball program, it's no contest compared to Nebraska in that department.

Plus the academics from what I know are better there. I just felt like it was a better fit.

That said, I do wish the B10 held out for schools more like Texas, where it covers all 3: great sports, big money, top academics.

the Ivy League is an abnormal case; they've had a reputation of being the best-of-the-best academically since before there was collegiate sports, and now they're pretty much irrelevant in sports. Comparing them to the SEC or the Big 10 athletics conferences just doesn't make sense imo. I don't think a Northwestern degree would be devalued if the Big 10 took in Phoenix University.

Or, if it really would, that's a good argument for abolishing college athletics.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-s...-the-charts.ece

The Dallas writer who's been most connected to the realignment stuff floating the ND/BYU idea out there. Funny. Here's his big thoughts: "Before anybody nominates me as village idiot, yes I know it's a long shot. But the Big 12 wants to maximize any advantage it might have. Key fact in Big 12's strategy: Notre Dame makes $15M reportedly from NBC. Irish could keep current deal and make additional $20M in Big 12. Big 12 source: on ND “It would definitely be a conversation worth pursuing and having.” Irish would have to join as full members. Regarding BYU, Cougars would be able to keep school network (BYUtv), play in automatic bid league and not worry about indy scheduling. Big 12 thinking: Try to go big and see where that leads with the ability to field a lucrative ($$$$) school network? Why not? Quick responses: Yes, I know about Notre Dame's culture. But Irish losing ground to be Big Ten financially; might have to consider a league. All this from the Big 12 side. They're hoping that Notre Dame and BYU are open to listening, crunching numbers, seeing where it leads."

Personally, I want to tailgate at a BYU/Baylor game.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Nebraska was probably pretty squarely middle of the pack academically in the Big 12. Below UT, TAMU, Baylor, ISU, Mizzou and KU, but, better than Tech. :)

When I was at ISU, the strongest school academically in the Big 8 was Colorado. ISU was close behind, then Mizzou, KU, and KSU/Nebraska/OU/OSU were at the bottom (in terms of rankings in publications and what not). Then the 4 Texas schools came on, UT and Baylor came into the upper echelon academically, the other two not so much. Nebraska was still near the bottom, in terms of rankings and reputation academically.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I'm surprised there is so much thought put into the other schools in the conference academically. I honestly dont think it matters unless its your school. Otherwise maybe the MAC wasnt the place for me...

Exactly... It's all about the money. Nebraska is going to bring a lot of cash to the B1G.

It isnt all about football money. If a community college wanted into the Big 10 and could bring in more revenue than Nebraska, they wouldnt consider it. The reason why, athletic money is chump change to research money.

The Big 10 is far more than just athletics, if anything the CIC and research is a bigger part of the school than athletics. Athletics are on tv so casual observers think that it plays a far bigger role.

Lets look at Wisconsin:

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/art...1cc4c002e0.html

Total Athletic Budget (all sports) $88.368 million

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_co...l-tell-you.html

Total Athletic Revenue (all sports) $93,452,334

http://www.news.wisc.edu/18499

Total research spending : In excess of of $1billion.

Research has 10x more spending, so if you dont think its a big deal who is involved in the CIC and how the Big 10 can get their research funding, you are completely ignoring just how much money these schools put into research/academics.

I feel dirty but here is a Michigan fan's write up on just how much money the Big 10 spends on research:

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/academic-dollar...e-and-b1g-sweep

Im pretty sure that the Big 10 spends more money than Ivy League on research (according to those figures) and if I can still do math, its almost 2x as much.

http://www.cic.net/Home/AboutCIC/CICUniversities.aspx

That is up for debate. Many people believe that the CIC (Big 10 + University of Chicago) get a unequal share of govt research funding do their collaborative nature. Im not 100% sure how it works, but the amount of money the Big 10 gets compared to every other conference does seem to give credence to that argument.

Once again, no school is going to risk billions of dollars for an increase of less than $10mil per year. The only reason Nebraska brought a lot of money was that the Big 10 going to 12 allowed them to add a championship game. The next schools will not bring that.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_...1cc4c002e0.html

Powers, of Penn State, said being in the Big Ten has improved her university's academic reputation. Penn State, she said, also has benefited from collaborative opportunities offered by the CIC.

"Penn State is an international institution and our joining with the Big Ten has helped us become a more prominent player on the international level," she said.

So in my opinion if Wisconsin left the Big 10 it would lose a considerable amount of academic prestige and academic funding.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
But they aren't getting research money for being in the Big 10. If Wisconsin suddenly went independent, they wouldn't stop spending or receiving research dollars.

Yes, they would as long as they left the CIC too, which is the academic side of the Big Ten.

No but in 5 minutes I can type the following sentences:

Wisconsin research spending

Wisconsin athletic spending

Wisconsin athletic revenue

Big 10 academic/research spending (I actually had read the Michigan article a few days ago it had been linked through a WV board)

CIC academic/research spending

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
That does really suck.

WHO-TV is running a poll, currently 300 of 319 respondents hate it, good for 94%. It really might be the worst sports trophy ever.

Heh, latest update:

What do you think of the new Cy-Hawk trophy?

Love it! (27 responses) 3%

Better than old one. (24 responses) 2%

Hate it. (991 responses) 95%

1042 total responses