Sox have been trying to extend Danks for 2.5 years

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
You know the remarkable thing? The last time the Sox had a complete rebuilding project to do, they pulled it off in the course of 1 season, with basically no minor leagues to boot.

2 of the 3 keys to the 2008 season were already acquired in at the start of the 2007 season, John Danks and Gavin Floyd, finally living up to their top prospect status. Quentin was acquired that offseason, and had an MVP caliber season for 5 months in 2008. The veterans, Konerko, Thome, and Dye all had bounce back years in 2008 instead of continuing their downward trend. Seems like a year where a lot of things, except Quentin's injury, went right for the Sox, and they still barely won the division. They were also dismissed fairly quickly in the ALDS. I still hope that Floyd can put it all together for a full season, though that may be wishful thinking at this stage of his career. In 2009 they failed to win 80 games because Colon and Contreras were old and washed up. Last season for 3 out of 6 months they had a losing record, they had 2 incredible months in June and July, In September they got their brains beat in until garbage time, So most of the wins there don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Really, they had an mediocre season last year.

I like the Sox chances this season, but remain skeptical until they prove that they can beat the Twins head to head. If the Sox go 8-10 last season against the Twins instead of 5-13, they are tied for the ALC division and go to a game 163. The Twins don't go away ever, so it will be a fight. I think the difference comes down to 2 guys on our team: Is Edwin Jackson really the guy that the Sox had last season? and Is Jake Peavy going to be an effective pitcher this season? If the answer to both of those questions is no, then I think the Sox finish 2nd or 3rd this season. If the answer to one of those questions is yes, then I think they'll have somewhat of a chance to win the division, and if the answer to both of those questions is yes, then They'll have a good chance to win the division if they stay healthy otherwise.

Edited by Elgin Slim

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
2 of the 3 keys to the 2008 season were already acquired in at the start of the 2007 season, John Danks and Gavin Floyd, finally living up to their top prospect status.

For all we know, in 2014, we might look back and say the same thing about the 2011 season and how even though it looked like we were about to have to rebuild, having Morel, Beckham, Alexei, Viciedo, Sale, Mitchell, one of them catchers, and some of the bullpen guys like Santos, Infante, and Carter, and say that "even though the system looked bare, the key guys in our rebuilding were already here"

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
I understand that. So I guess "All-In" means we're completely going for it for 2 seasons, but after that we're going to suck for a while. I hope they spend more on the draft from 2013 onward so they can rebuild more quickly. I guess the rebuild is coming, they're just putting it off for a couple of years. I hope that they get a first round pick when Danks leaves, though, or that he's not in their plans for next season, and they have a viable replacement. Just another reason why Sale should be starting in AAA.

You've said this twice now. While I can see the logic (players leaving via FA, not much help seemingly available in the minors), I don't think you can make this claim quite so confidently. The Sox have never sucked for a while during KW's reign, and a lot can happen in a couple of years, especially if the Sox can sustain a higher payroll to fill the gaps. Two years also provides enough time for prospects in the lower levels of the minors to develop to where they could help the Sox either at the major league level or as trade fodder.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
You've said this twice now. While I can see the logic (players leaving via FA, not much help seemingly available in the minors), I don't think you can make this claim quite so confidently. The Sox have never sucked for a while during KW's reign, and a lot can happen in a couple of years, especially if the Sox can sustain a higher payroll to fill the gaps. Two years also provides enough time for prospects in the lower levels of the minors to develop to where they could help the Sox either at the major league level or as trade fodder.

I see very few players even at the lower levels of the minors that could become even trade bait at this point. I don't know if Mitchell is ever going to develop because of rust and the fact that he was raw when the Sox drafted him. Petricka may become a good prospect one day, but he may flame out just as fast. Reed could become a good prospect as well. He probably has the best chance. I haven't gone through the whole minor league system, but these three guys are about the only major players that I read about as top prospects from the Sox system, and see possibly becoming as much as trade bait. The fact that everyone else is filler means that the Sox need to either spend more on the draft or scouts pronto, or I see a dark, dark future for the franchise after 2012. They are not going to get anybody via trade that doesn't come from players on the major league roster, or they are going to have to start talking Red Sox money to get a team together. Just my $0.02

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
Michael Blanke at least appears to have power at a premium position, so that alone could have a bit of value too if he can show some success at even W-S.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
Andy Wilkins will be your White Sox 2014 opening day 1B.

Thanks for the info guys, you're obviously spending more time than me reading about the Sox minors. Besides the guys I named, and these two, are there any other low level(rookie, A-, A+) players who can develop into at least trade bait?

I don't think anything of Andy Wilkins, not yet anyways. It would appear that there are some tools to work with, but playing only 1B really limits his value and he just didn't do quite enough for me this year to stick out, so he's either going to have to destroy the ball this year and really make a name for himself or prove that he can play some OF too. Blanke isn't the next Johnny Bench by any stretch of the imagination, but he hit for a higher average and showed more power than Wilkins did and played catcher, which is the big difference to me. It's pretty much impossible to take anything out of Rookie ball performances from 21 year olds who are simply there adjusting to the lifestyle of a professional baseball player, so everything is taken with a huge grain of salt. The main reason I even mentioned Blanke at all is because he hits for power and plays catcher. This year, with both of them being in either Kannapolis or Winston-Salem, will be much more telling. And if they aren't with either Kanny or W-S, that is even more telling about how the organization feels about them.

The main thing I was doing was giving you a name to remember in case you see it in a publication at some point within the next 2-3 years. I don't expect anything out of players who are in rookie ball unless they are highly regarded by several others or they are putting up good numbers and are young for the league.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
2 of the 3 keys to the 2008 season were already acquired in at the start of the 2007 season, John Danks and Gavin Floyd, finally living up to their top prospect status. Quentin was acquired that offseason, and had an MVP caliber season for 5 months in 2008. The veterans, Konerko, Thome, and Dye all had bounce back years in 2008 instead of continuing their downward trend. Seems like a year where a lot of things, except Quentin's injury, went right for the Sox, and they still barely won the division. They were also dismissed fairly quickly in the ALDS. I still hope that Floyd can put it all together for a full season, though that may be wishful thinking at this stage of his career. In 2009 they failed to win 80 games because Colon and Contreras were old and washed up. Last season for 3 out of 6 months they had a losing record, they had 2 incredible months in June and July, In September they got their brains beat in until garbage time, So most of the wins there don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Really, they had an mediocre season last year.

I like the Sox chances this season, but remain skeptical until they prove that they can beat the Twins head to head. If the Sox go 8-10 last season against the Twins instead of 5-13, they are tied for the ALC division and go to a game 163. The Twins don't go away ever, so it will be a fight. I think the difference comes down to 2 guys on our team: Is Edwin Jackson really the guy that the Sox had last season? and Is Jake Peavy going to be an effective pitcher this season? If the answer to both of those questions is no, then I think the Sox finish 2nd or 3rd this season. If the answer to one of those questions is yes, then I think they'll have somewhat of a chance to win the division, and if the answer to both of those questions is yes, then They'll have a good chance win the division if they stay healthy otherwise.

If both of those guys pitch well, we should run away with the division.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)

If they don't do anything in the next two years, 2013 and on will be pretty bad. If they make the postseason and advance in the playoffs, they will likely be fine in 2013 and beyond because they will have money to spend.

There are about 5 different threads I could post this quote in, but I'll start here. This comes from Verducci's paean to the big 3 teams in the Northeast.

Well, they do have 2005 Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon in camp, but the story of New York's spring, if not the first half of the season, will be whether they can pry a major lefthanded starter from another team by overpaying in a trade. Targets will include Francisco Liriano of the Twins, Joe Saunders of the Diamondbacks, John Danks of the White Sox, Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants, Clayton Richard of the Padres and Randy Wolf of the Brewers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Liriano is the perfect marriage really. Twins need to maximize Liriano's worth if they aren't extending him, and the Yankees have to have another name starter. I could see the Twins raping the Yankees farm system very soon.

Problem is...isn't the top of the Yankees farm system at the Catching position?

Edit: here's a version of a Yankees prospects list where 3 of their top 4 are catchers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)

Edit: here's a version of a Yankees prospects list where 3 of their top 4 are catchers.

I'm very high on Gary Sanchez and of course Montero's bat. Romine not so much though. The Yankees farm system has some really nice pieces in it. Love Banuelos.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)

From everything I understand, Montero's glove really doesn't translate that well to catcher, but his bat will translate anywhere, so if they can get Montero - they HAVE to get Montero if they were to trade Liriano to New York - I think they'll be OK.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
From everything I understand, Montero's glove really doesn't translate that well to catcher, but his bat will translate anywhere, so if they can get Montero - they HAVE to get Montero if they were to trade Liriano to New York - I think they'll be OK.

So where would his glove translate? They're full at 1b as well. They might have a corner OF in a year or two if they let Cuddyer and Kubel hit FA, Cuddyer's contract is up at the end of this year.