Michael Young

Special K

Young wants out, the Rangers seem willing to consider. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it'd be pretty sweet. If Kenny were to consider it, he'd more than adequately fill what I feel is the biggest hole in our everyday lineup. Obviously money is an issue, and I don't know what package they'd consider, maybe something based around Tank, but it would certainly make the Sox a top 3 offense in the AL.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue with Young, other than $, is that he's a negative defender, and even the people who don't like the fancy new advanced stats will agree on that one; he doesn't help you much on defense.

Adding young helps your offense but makes your IF defense a lot worse compared with Morel (not, however, compared to Teahen). The fact that Young is a negative defender offsets a lot of the value he does bring with the bats. If Brent Morel is a plus defender this year, then there's every reason to think he'd be almost as valuable as Young, just in a different way. And if Morel carries himself well with the bat...which is entirely possible...then he could be a more valuable player than Young this year...and very likely will be next year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
The only thing that Texas would want would be Danks back.

Yeah, I gotta say, I feel like that's a pretty bad K they gave to Young. I didn't realize he was making $16 million a year. He's a very nice player, but I don't feel he's worth that much, especially given the fact that he's been given a diminished role on the Rangers.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
The only thing that Texas would want would be Danks back.

?

The Deal the Rockies and Rangers were talking about would have centered around 25 YO Eric Young Jr., who isnt' exactly gold himself. The Rockies backed out, mostly because they decided they wouldn't give up anything remotely useful while also taking on that contract.

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Yeah, I gotta say, I feel like that's a pretty bad K they gave to Young. I didn't realize he was making $16 million a year. He's a very nice player, but I don't feel he's worth that much, especially given the fact that he's been given a diminished role on the Rangers.

PECOTA already projects the White Sox to have the best offense in baseball... no sense in adding Young to hurt our defense.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
And from the looks of it, not many other teams are interested in his services right now. He might have to stay put. The Rangers might get desperate enough to trade him to the Astros for Carlos Lee.

I figured the Rays might be all over that. It's just his contract is too large.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
The issue with Young, other than $, is that he's a negative defender, and even the people who don't like the fancy new advanced stats will agree on that one; he doesn't help you much on defense.

Adding young helps your offense but makes your IF defense a lot worse compared with Morel (not, however, compared to Teahen). The fact that Young is a negative defender offsets a lot of the value he does bring with the bats. If Brent Morel is a plus defender this year, then there's every reason to think he'd be almost as valuable as Young, just in a different way. And if Morel carries himself well with the bat...which is entirely possible...then he could be a more valuable player than Young this year...and very likely will be next year.

I completely agree with you if Morel turns out to be adequate on offense. I think he's got a real solid glove. I remember someone had him projected around a .275 BA with roughly 9-10 homeruns. If he does that and plays good Defense, then that's outstanding. Especially given the fact that he's a cheap rookie and will only be getting better.

This is all contingent on the premise that Morel is the starter, which is not set in stone just yet, cause Ozzy has loyalty to the veterans which will definitely favor Teahen.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Have they seen boston's line up? I ain't scared, but damn... they look like they can score on anybody.

2011 PECOTA has the Rays and Yankees at 98 and 100 wins. They have Boston at 88. I don't know what they're smoking over there at BP.

The Sox are at 89 wins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
PECOTA already projects the White Sox to have the best offense in baseball... no sense in adding Young to hurt our defense.

That's just crazy talk.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
2011 PECOTA has the Rays and Yankees at 98 and 100 wins. They have Boston at 88. I don't know what they're smoking over there at BP.

The Sox are at 89 wins.

WTF?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)

The Sox are at 89 wins.

What do you expect? Boston never gets any love or respect from the media.

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Young wants out, the Rangers seem willing to consider. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it'd be pretty sweet. If Kenny were to consider it, he'd more than adequately fill what I feel is the biggest hole in our everyday lineup. Obviously money is an issue, and I don't know what package they'd consider, maybe something based around Tank, but it would certainly make the Sox a top 3 offense in the AL.

I'm not normally one to consider home/away splits because hitters generally hit better at home than they do on the road. Young's are scary though:

2010 Home: .307/.361/.509/.871

2010 Away: .260/.299/.380/.679

2009 Home: .347/.411/.525/.936

2009 Away: .297/.337/.511/.848

2008 Home: .305/.362/.441/.803

2008 Away: .264/.317/.364/.680

Career Home: .322/.372/.487/.859

Career Away: .279/.322/.411/.733

I would venture to guess that if Young were to play his home games in Chicago, his home splits would be something along the lines of .290/.340/.480/.820, and his road splits would be about the same, perhaps something like .280/.325/.410/.735. That's roughly a .775 OPS overall, give or take 25 points in either direction.

Assuming the Rangers take on $20 of the $48 million he has left, you are paying about $9 mill a year for a guy who is solid offensively and mediocre to bad defensively. That's a huge amount of money and something the Sox simply can't afford. Worst case scenario, he is mediocre offensively and bad defensively, and it also stunts the development of Brent Morel. Oh, and he's going to be 34 next year, and 36 when his contract expires, which means he is probably going to regress as the contract goes on, meaning you are probably looking at a .775 OPS as a BEST case scenario in year 3 with his defense going from bad to very bad, which means he could very well the team in that final year of his contract.

It's just not a good idea no matter how you slice it up.

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I figured the Rays might be all over that. It's just his contract is too large.

Why? They have Zobrist, Rodriguez, and Brignac (though he's going to be their SS) that can all play 2B, and some dude named Evan Longoria at 3B. And, considering the Rays are a team that has shown a tendency to favor good defensive players, Michael Young makes even less sense for them in that regard. The Rays lack of interest in him has nothing to do with his contract (though it doesn't help matters). He just doesn't fit the mold of the type of player they bring in.

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)

And play where?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
I think PECOTA must be thinking that Bostons starting 5 is going to get hurt more than the offense is going to help

Added a word in there for you because if Boston's rotation is healthy, they're pretty damn good as well.

Dont get me wrong, Young is an all star. And adding an All star to your team is a good thing, especially in the wake of a rookie who is slotted to take the position isnt really a cant miss prospect. I like Morel, but if the Sox can get Young for their price and you do it. It makes your team better. There are a couple big problems. There is no way the Sox would take on 3 Years and $48M for Young without the Rangers eating like half that salary. Also, the Rangers are said to want 1 top pitching prospect and 1 major league ready position player that can contribute right now. The sox may have a need or open slot for Young, but they dont have the package to offer the Rangers to acquire him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I'm not normally one to consider home/away splits because hitters generally hit better at home than they do on the road. Young's are scary though:

2010 Home: .307/.361/.509/.871

2010 Away: .260/.299/.380/.679

2009 Home: .347/.411/.525/.936

2009 Away: .297/.337/.511/.848

2008 Home: .305/.362/.441/.803

2008 Away: .264/.317/.364/.680

Career Home: .322/.372/.487/.859

Career Away: .279/.322/.411/.733

After reading this post I can not believe that Young makes $16M. Hes a solid player but $16M+ salaries are reserved for cant miss automatic all stars that bring something spectacular to the table (either offense or defense).

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Also, the Rangers are said to want 1 top pitching prospect and 1 major league ready position player that can contribute right now.

Said by whom? That sounds insane, they already turned the guy into the league's most expensive DH/Super sub because they wanted a defensive upgrade.