2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

Did anyone catch the conversation about Starlin during the Cubs/Cards game last night? Talking about him digging out sunflower seeds from his back pocket while the pitch was coming, his having his mitt of in between plays, and how he isn't into defensive position on every play. Very interesting. I guess the Cubs are raising the next generation the right way...

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
Did anyone catch the conversation about Starlin during the Cubs/Cards game last night? Talking about him digging out sunflower seeds from his back pocket while the pitch was coming, his having his mitt of in between plays, and how he isn't into defensive position on every play. Very interesting. I guess the Cubs are raising the next generation the right way...

Here is a brief version

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/...-by-broadcaster

Starlin Castro drew criticism from ESPN broadcaster Bobby Valentine for a lack of awareness in the field after cameras showed the Cubs shortstop digging in his back pocket for sunflower seeds and appearing unprepared before a pitch.

It was all news to manager Mike Quade, who first heard of it during the postgame press conference.

“I’ll have to talk to my infield (coaches) about that,” Quade said. “I didn’t recognize any of that....I probably tend to focus when there’s a situation I expect him to be involved in more than anything else.

"But I’ll have to ask those guys about that, maybe call Bobby, see what he saw.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3257075.story

Manager Mike Quade has Starlin Castro on the bench tonight in the opener of the four-game series against Atlanta.

Castro was criticized by ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine on Sunday for not paying attention while James Russell made a pitch in the seventh innings. After the game, Quade said he was unaware of the incident and would have to watch the tape,

On Monday, Quade apparently saw what everyone watching the game on TV saw.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Yeah, the two alleged saviors which Cub fans couldn't shut up about.

More like the organization. When an organization banks on a player of course they're going to be talked about.

Personally, I don't know anyone who really believed either was worth a hamburgers.

I do remember some fluff here about how Patterson would blossom after leaving the Cubs' spotlight...

I do agree, however, that Castro will never fulfill expectations. I could see him maxing out at, say, Alexei Ramírez?

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 06:49 AM)
More like the organization. When an organization banks on a player of course they're going to be talked about.

Personally, I don't know anyone who really believed either was worth a hamburgers.

I do remember some fluff here about how Patterson would blossom after leaving the Cubs' spotlight...

I do agree, however, that Castro will never fulfill expectations. I could see him maxing out at, say, Alexei Ramírez?

Castro has a higher OPS this season (.762) than Ramirez's (.725). One is 21. The other is 30. Yes, Castro's defense leaves a lot to be desired and is a work in progress. But I'd say his floor is Alexei. Not his max. And if you're this down on Castro, what are your expectations for Beckham?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Castro has a higher OPS this season (.762) than Ramirez's (.725). One is 21. The other is 30. Yes, Castro's defense leaves a lot to be desired and is a work in progress. But I'd say his floor is Alexei. Not his max. And if you're this down on Castro, what are your expectations for Beckham?

2.7 WAR for Castro, 4.3 WAR each of the last 2 years for Alexei.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
And that's all defense. Offensively Castro is as good or better. And I already said Castro has a ways to go defensively.

But that certainly means his "Floor" is not Alexei, because he's not as good as Alexei right nwo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
But that certainly means his "Floor" is not Alexei, because he's not as good as Alexei right nwo.

I expect him to improve defensively. When I watch him play, I don't see a lack of tools in the field. He's got, what, just over a year of service time in the bigs? The things people say about Castro is what we were all saying about Ramirez just two years ago. And he was much older.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I expect him to improve defensively. When I watch him play, I don't see a lack of tools in the field. He's got, what, just over a year of service time in the bigs? The things people say about Castro is what we were all saying about Ramirez just two years ago. And he was much older.

I think you are failing to understand the definition of "Floor".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
I think you are failing to understand the definition of "Floor".

I understand it perfectly. I didn't say Castro was a better all-around player right now. I think he will improve in all aspects. Said poster said that even if he "maxes" out, he won't be any better than Alexei. He doesn't have to max out to be that good. He's not that far off now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
I understand it perfectly. I didn't say Castro was a better all-around player right now. I think he will improve in all aspects. Said poster said that even if he "maxes" out, he won't be any better than Alexei. He doesn't have to max out to be that good. He's not that far off now.

But I'd say his floor is Alexei. Not his max.

His floor cannot be higher than his current performance. The "Floor" for a player is the lowest performance level you can get from that player. According to your use of the term, he is playing well below his floor right now. This is nonsense. It renders the term "Floor" meaningless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
His floor cannot be higher than his current performance. The "Floor" for a player is the lowest performance level you can get from that player. According to your use of the term, he is playing well below his floor right now. This is nonsense. It renders the term "Floor" meaningless.

Well I didn't mean current performance. So in that sense it was the wrong word to use. He's not far off from Alexei now. All I was saying that if he maxes out, he's better than Alexei. And that if he doesn't max out, yet still shows improvement, nothing drastic, just natural improvement from 21-22, 22-23 and so on, he's pretty much as good as Alexei. If he doesn't improve, then yeah, he's not as good as Alexei.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Well I didn't mean current performance. So in that sense it was the wrong word to use. He's not far off from Alexei now. All I was saying that if he maxes out, he's better than Alexei. And that if he doesn't max out, yet still shows improvement, nothing drastic, just natural improvement from 21-22, 22-23 and so on, he's pretty much as good as Alexei. If he doesn't improve, then yeah, he's not as good as Alexei.

There we go. We have now agreed on the dictionary definition of the term "Floor". I am content.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)

Hearing about the kids work ethic and attention span, banking on large improvement is dicey. Those kind of guys can hit a wall very easily.