2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
If I was on the rooftops that's pretty close to what I would be probably. I assume the view isn't that great and with unlimited food and booze well, I would be getting hammered (not at a company event of course).

I went last week to a Cubs game and was honestly the only one in the upper deck that could tell what was a good hit and what was just a pop up. I know it's a bit harder to tell up there, but seriously you should be able to read the difference between a shallow pop up and something going close to the warning track.

The view does kind of suck from the rooftops. They make it sound like its essentially like being in the outfield, but its really not. The booze and the food are the main attraction pretty much.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chicago Cubs would be willing to absorb a high percentage of left fielder Alfonso Soriano's contract if the right trade offer came along, a source familiar with the situation told ESPNChicago.com.

Soriano has more than $60 million remaining on an eight-year, $136 million deal he signed in November 2006.

There is a full no-trade clause in his contract, but Soriano told ESPNChicago.com two months ago that if the Cubs approached him about a trade, he most likely would agree to one. He reaffirmed that recently to multiple outlets.

Major League Baseball's non-waiver trading deadline is July 31.

American League teams could consider Soriano as a possibility at designated hitter for the duration of his contract, which runs through 2014. He's hitting .249 with 14 home runs and 41 RBIs.

In related news, multiple sources said Aramis Ramirez recently met with Cubs management and the message conveyed by Ramirez's camp was that the third baseman wants to stay in Chicago and would not waive his no-trade clause. Ramirez told ESPNChicago.com on Wednesday that he would consider an extension beyond next season.

Also, teams have expressed interest in Cubs right fielder Kosuke Fukudome, who is on the Cleveland Indians' radar, according to a major league source. Teams also have shown interest in Cubs pitcher John Grabow and outfielder Marlon Byrd, sources said.

Soriano for Dunn, straight up?

me and a friend actually went over a theoretical mega trade. Fukudome, Soriano, ARam for Dunn, Rios, Morel and cash.

It would actually make sense for both teams involved, and the Sox would basically have to send cash to compensate for Rios contract. It would never happen, but it would be fun to see everyone freak out about it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
me and a friend actually went over a theoretical mega trade. Fukudome, Soriano, ARam for Dunn, Rios, Morel and cash.

It would actually make sense for both teams involved, and the Sox would basically have to send cash to compensate for Rios contract. It would never happen, but it would be fun to see everyone freak out about it

I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. It would free us from one long term contract in net, and it would make this team way better offensively.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Ill take just Fukudome to be honest. His OBP would be hella nice.

I have little to no interest in adding OF's under any conditions right now. I'd rather see what the 2-3 guys we have who are next in line can do if we move people. Be a lot cheaper at least.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
JPosnanskiJoe Posnanski

Something you probably didn't know unless you're a Cubs fan: Starlin Castro leads the National League in outs made AND errors.

Hmm, should we start the Juan Pierre jokes?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Has it been confirmed that if traded the 2012 option vests?

Option becomes guaranteed if player wins one MVP from 2007-2011, places 2nd or 3rd in MVP twice from 2007-2011, or wins LCS MVP, or is an AllStar 3 times from 2007-2011, or is traded and excercises 2011 op
Unless he decides not to exercise it, yes, the $16 million option would vest if he was traded.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
If I was on the rooftops that's pretty close to what I would be probably. I assume the view isn't that great and with unlimited food and booze well, I would be getting hammered (not at a company event of course).

I went last week to a Cubs game and was honestly the only one in the upper deck that could tell what was a good hit and what was just a pop up. I know it's a bit harder to tell up there, but seriously you should be able to read the difference between a shallow pop up and something going close to the warning track.

The view was great actually. Almost as good as the seats I had at club level last year. You can't tell balls and strikes, but you can definitely tell what's going on.

Edited by chw42