2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this could turn out to be real bad for the Cubs. The Red Sox have all the leverage here. They could probably stomach keeping Theo on the payroll as a non-entity for a year, given their financial success. The Cubs, on the other hand, are on the clock. Seems like they lose either way - they will either cave and give up a serious prospect or player, or they will not cave and up with a different GM, much to the chagrin of Cubs fans.

Cubs are not in a good position here.

Yep, the Cubs got things out of order and have painted themselves into a corner.

Should have tried to keep any deal with Theo hush-hush until they could work out compensation.

Now they will most likely lose Castro and/or Garza, or embarrass themselves by backing out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
The Cubs should tell the Red Sox to f*** off and hire Hahn or another guy.

The backlash with the fans would be awful with a move like that though. Theo has already broken the Billy Goat curse in the eyes of fans & the Chicago media. If they suddenly didn't hire him because of a few prospects, the fans would not be happy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
So, this could turn out to be real bad for the Cubs. The Red Sox have all the leverage here. They could probably stomach keeping Theo on the payroll as a non-entity for a year, given their financial success. The Cubs, on the other hand, are on the clock. Seems like they lose either way - they will either cave and give up a serious prospect or player, or they will not cave and up with a different GM, much to the chagrin of Cubs fans.

Cubs are not in a good position here.

It will be interesting to see who blinks first. It almost has to be the Cubs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
thekapman David Kaplan

Sources have also told me that the Red Sox demands have gone from ridiculous to unbelievable.

They want Logan Morrison? :lolhitting

Edited by Soxfest

Wow, I really disagree with you guys on this. I think the Red Sox are the ones without leverage here. The Cubs should just continue to say no until the Red Sox get reasonable. Theo is not going back to Boston. Period. And while some compensation is appropriate, it should be a few decent prospects and then move onwards.

But Boston needs to close the book on this situation, not drag it's feet and let things get messy. I think the Cubs should just continue doing what their doing, and Boston will be forced to come to their senses soon.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Yep, the Cubs got things out of order and have painted themselves into a corner.

Should have tried to keep any deal with Theo hush-hush until they could work out compensation.

Now they will most likely lose Castro and/or Garza, or embarrass themselves by backing out.

Except all the reports initially came out of Boston. I don't think the Cubs leaked this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
Wow, I really disagree with you guys on this. I think the Red Sox are the ones without leverage here. The Cubs should just continue to say no until the Red Sox get reasonable. Theo is not going back to Boston. Period. And while some compensation is appropriate, it should be a few decent prospects and then move onwards.

But Boston needs to close the book on this situation, not drag it's feet and let things get messy. I think the Cubs should just continue doing what their doing, and Boston will be forced to come to their senses soon.

Except that Boston could sit on him for a year. Anyone who comes into Chicago is obviously their second choice. Hell the Red Sox could reassign Theo to something else in their organization just to get rid of him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Except that Boston could sit on him for a year. Anyone who comes into Chicago is obviously their second choice. Hell the Red Sox could reassign Theo to something else in their organization just to get rid of him.

They aren't going to pay him $7M to sit around and then lose him for nothing in a year. The Cubs would likely have an interim GM from within for a year then hire Theo next year and it would cost them far less.

I really don't think this has anything to do with Theo anyway. It's about all the people he wants to bring over from Boston.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
They aren't going to pay him $7M to sit around and then lose him for nothing in a year. The Cubs would likely have an interim GM from within for a year then hire Theo next year and it would cost them far less.

I really don't think this has anything to do with Theo anyway. It's about all the people he wants to bring over from Boston.

$7M? I thought he was making more like $3M?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
$7M? I thought he was making more like $3M?

Exactly.

Boston has all of the leverage here.

The cubs leaked the story back when Hendry was fired. Boston just pushed it in the current direction.

The cubs are offering him a 5 year deal. The Red Sox are offering him a 3 year extension or a 4 year deal.

This guy quit Boston for two months this is nothing different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
He also has a $3.5 million bonus that comes due if he serves out the last year of his current contract.

..which he is choosing not to do.

Boston has the position here. They will sit on him and pay his $3M for doing nothing, rather than letting him go for nothing at all. Cubs will cave and give them McNutt or someone else valuable, what few valuable pieces there are in the Cubs system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)

Boston has the position here. They will sit on him and pay his $3M for doing nothing, rather than letting him go for nothing at all. Cubs will cave and give them McNutt or someone else valuable, what few valuable pieces there are in the Cubs system.

It's a longevity clause. Everything I've heard says he would get it if he stays.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the Cubs are paying the longevity clause amount in addition to the yearly salary.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)

Have you been reading and listening to the Boston media the last few days? It's an absolute disaster right now. Jon Lester actually was calling in to all the media outlets yesterday trying to clear the players' names. John Henry is showing up at radio stations and trying to do damage control, meanwhile, he keeps insisting publicly that he was not in favor of signing Carl Crawford (way to give him a boost of confidence, John).

There is simply no way in hell the Red Sox can afford to keep Theo anywhere in the picture. He's a local guy, this was his dream job, they won 2 titles during his tenure, etc. The fans are furious that they blew the division, but there is a growing backlash that Francona and Theo have been getting thrown under the bus by management. Keeping him around on the payroll and effectively blocking him from moving on with his career will not be a good PR move.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Have you been reading and listening to the Boston media the last few days? It's an absolute disaster right now. Jon Lester actually was calling in to all the media outlets yesterday trying to clear the players' names. John Henry is showing up at radio stations and trying to do damage control, meanwhile, he keeps insisting publicly that he was not in favor of signing Carl Crawford (way to give him a boost of confidence, John).

There is simply no way in hell the Red Sox can afford to keep Theo anywhere in the picture. He's a local guy, this was his dream job, they won 2 titles during his tenure, etc. The fans are furious that they blew the division, but there is a growing backlash that Francona and Theo have been getting thrown under the bus by management. Keeping him around on the payroll and effectively blocking him from moving on with his career will not be a good PR move.

Who said he has to be in the picture? Not I.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Theo and the Red Sox can easily patch things up if need be...just like last time he quit.

There's that too, though this situation may be too far down the road now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Who said he has to be in the picture? Not I.

There's that too, though this situation may be too far down the road now.

Eh money fixes all. If he got a raise and extension, I guarantee you things would be fine until the next time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Eh money fixes all. If he got a raise and extension, I guarantee you things would be fine until the next time.

Boston offered both just not as long or enough money.

If Boston is not rewarded for letting Theo go, they can patch it up by matching the cubs offer.