2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Nothing fancy to start this thread out with. Since it's training camp time, here's the thread for the teams we play 19 times each season.

The last time the Sox had a schedule where they played a team 19 games in a season was 2006. It's been 9 home/9 away since then.

Of course, the Sox ended up playing the Twins 19 games in 2008, but it's a scheduled 18 games, and has been for several years now.

Edited by flavum

WTF? Joe Nathan lives around here, and I didn't find him, shake his hand, and accidentally jerk really hard on his elbow?

Joe Nathan is moving closer to regaining his closer role with the Minnesota Twins, throwing outside off a mound for the first time since reconstructive right elbow surgery nearly a year ago.

Nathan said he felt great after Wednesday's session. He had an ulnar collateral ligament replacement procedure done last March and missed the entire 2010 season, but the 36-year-old four-time All-Star is back on track this spring.

He said he threw about 40 pitches in about 10 minutes.

"Things are moving in the right direction," Nathan said. "I threw all my pitches and got comfortable with my surroundings again. It's great to be on the field."

This was Nathan's first day the Twins' training facility in Fort Myers, Fla., after mostly working out in Knoxville, Tenn., where he and his family have their winter home. Pitchers and catchers have their first official workout on Friday.

Pitching coach Rick Anderson said Nathan looked "outstanding." Anderson told him it was "about the smoothest and easiest" he's seen his arm.

"Everything's a progression," Anderson said. "Throwing bullpens, you're a little sore. Then you go to batting practice, that's a little more adrenaline going. Then once the games start, there's a lot more adrenaline. How he does with each step dictates where we'll go with him."

Anyway, although it's not the same injury, I find it interesting that Peavy was throwing off the mound at least a month, month and a half before Nathan.

Last I saw, he was sitting around 88-91 with his velocity, which is obviously good less than a year removed from Tommy John, but that's only velocity. We have no idea what kind of movement he can get on pitches yet, nor do we know how his command is yet. It's probably going to take a while for those to come back too.

I realize there's a month and a half before the season starts, but I'm not sure the Twins should really be counting on anything from Nathan this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Last I saw, he was sitting around 88-91 with his velocity, which is obviously good less than a year removed from Tommy John, but that's only velocity. We have no idea what kind of movement he can get on pitches yet, nor do we know how his command is yet. It's probably going to take a while for those to come back too.

I realize there's a month and a half before the season starts, but I'm not sure the Twins should really be counting on anything from Nathan this year.

From what I understand, you can generally count on it being 18 to 24 months before a pitcher gets back his total effectiveness after TJ surgery.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
From what I understand, you can generally count on it being 18 to 24 months before a pitcher gets back his total effectiveness after TJ surgery.

That's the "average" though. Some guys take longer (Liriano really wasn't himself until last year again, and still wasn't what he was pre-surgery). Some guys can come back faster, and even get stronger from it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)

you can start throwing between 6-8 months and pitching around 9. However, as with most ligament repairs most athletes will say they don't "feel" normal until around 18 months regardless of everything else.

As I said previously reparing or replacing passive tissue structures is alot different than active tissue. In Nathan's case they replced tissue. In Peavy's they just re-attached current tissue. There's a big difference in healing time. When you replace tissue it needs to "die " first since it was a tendon and was removed. During this phase they need to wear protective braces and they can't do too much activity. Once it dies it needs to get a new blood supply and regenerate. Once it begins to regenerate it comes back with more ligament properties than tendons. It amazing but no one really knows why this happens. There are throries but no true answers. This is why ligament replacement healing takes longer than just a re-attachment.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
you can start throwing between 6-8 months and pitching around 9. However, as with most ligament repairs most athletes will say they don't "feel" normal until around 18 months regardless of everything else.

As I said previously reparing or replacing passive tissue structures is alot different than active tissue. In Nathan's case they replced tissue. In Peavy's they just re-attached current tissue. There's a big difference in healing time. When you replace tissue it needs to "die " first since it was a tendon and was removed. During this phase they need to wear protective braces and they can't do too much activity. Once it dies it needs to get a new blood supply and regenerate. Once it begins to regenerate it comes back with more ligament properties than tendons. It amazing but no one really knows why this happens. There are throries but no true answers. This is why ligament replacement healing takes longer than just a re-attachment.

The human body and modern medicine are both equally amazing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)

Thanks again for posting here. Things like this are so valuable.

interesting article on the Twins new 2B...

Nishioka

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Is Tsuyoshi Nishioka a diva, is he superstitious, or is he simply getting ready for the season as best he can?

In any case, his decision to work alone with personal trainers has been a conspicuous one during the first few days of Twins spring training.

Nishioka, signed in December as a free agent, was taking grounders and batting practice with teammates earlier in the week, but he was sequestered with his entourage on the minor league side of the Lee County Sports Complex on Saturday.

"He's comfortable doing what he's doing," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "You've got to understand, one thing that I know about Japan and Japanese baseball over there is if they do something and they have a really good year, they like to do the very same thing. I've heard this over and over again."

Nishioka won a Pacific League batting title (.345 batting average, 206 hits) and Most Valuable Player Award for the Pacific League champion Chiba Lotte Marines last season. The Twins paid the team $5 million to negotiate exclusively with the infielder and signed him to a three-year, $9 million deal in December.

Though fitted for Twins gear Thursday, he has yet to wear any in camp, but Gardenhire said Nishioka isn't even required to officially report until Tuesday with the rest of the team's position players.

"I told his interpreter, I said, 'It would be great if he was wearing Twins stuff over there if he wants to work out.' But I said he doesn't

Advertisement

have to — it's not required," Gardenhire said. "He can work out and do whatever he wants to do. I said if he would like to wear Twins stuff, though, we would love that."

Nishioka has been in Fort Myers since the beginning of February, arriving after a short visit to the Twin Cities and, in particular, Target Field. He is working with a personal trainer and nutritionist/massage therapist.

An attempt to speak with Nishioka on Saturday was unsuccessful.

Asked if his workout might be rubbing new teammates the wrong way, Gardenhire said: "How are you going to rub somebody wrong when you're not around? He can come here and work out all he wants to on other fields — we can't really say much. We're happy to have him down here.

"I've told him that (the) clubhouse is allowed, and he can come out and work out with these guys. But right now, he chooses to do his own program with his guys."

The Twins' first full-squad workout is Wednesday.

"Once we get him over here and in our camp, it will be Minnesota Twins wear, OK?" the manager said. "He will have to go with our guidelines and follow our system. But until then, he's on his own."

link

Justin Morneau still not 100 percent

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- First baseman Justin Morneau says he is feeling better seven months after a concussion ended his season, but he likely will not play in the Minnesota Twins' first stretch of spring training games while he works his way back.

Morneau spoke Monday, a day before Twins position players are due to report. He says he is still not quite 100 percent from the injury that occurred in Toronto last July. He has been swinging a bat, taking grounders and going all of his usual baseball activities.

Twins general manager Bill Smith told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that while Morneau is "still a work in progress," there are "no issues or restrictions" that should prevent him from being ready by Opening Day.

"That's our goal -- April 1, Opening Day," Smith said Monday. "We're just being cautious."

Morneau says he will still feel a little foggy occasionally later in the day after a strenuous workout. He said he will probably sit out "the first four or five games" of the spring depending on how he feels, although Smith said Monday the team's plan is to hold Morneau out of spring games "for at least the first week or 10 games."

Smith said Morneau has been hitting, throwing and running in his workouts at home prior to arriving in Twins camp.

"We don't want a roller coaster," Smith told Stark. "We don't want him to have good days and bad days. We want just good days. So there's no timetable. We've pledged patience -- to his agent, to his doctors and to his family. And we're not going to rush this.

"It doesn't matter what he does in March. It doesn't matter if he hits two homers or 22 homers. April 1 has been our target from day one. The same with [closer] Joe Nathan. That's what we're building toward -- April 1."

Nathan had Tommy John surgery last March and missed the 2010 season, but the 36-year-old four-time All-Star is back on track this spring to regain the Twins' closer role.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com senior Major League Baseball writer Jayson Stark was used in this report.

I think the line I bolded is the most important here. Morneau's brain is f*cked up and he might just be permanently damaged. Anyone thinking he'll be 100% anytime soon is certainly looking on the bright side of things.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
link

I think the line I bolded is the most important here. Morneau's brain is f*cked up and he might just be permanently damaged. Anyone thinking he'll be 100% anytime soon is certainly looking on the bright side of things.

He probably shouldn't have played so much hockey in his youth. But I guess that's Canada for you.

I think he'll be ready to start the season. Whether or not he's the same player and can play the majority of the season will be the question.

Concussions happen in baseball due to HBP and punches and whatever else, but it should be mentioned that Corey Koskie ended up retiring 3-5 years earlier than he could have due to a concussion, and Jason LaRue was forced to retire this past year because of a concussion. Due to the apparent number of concussions Morneau has had, it's certainly possible that he may never really play again. As a baseball fan, I really hope it doesn't come to that, but it's certainly a possibility at this point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
link

Even if he doesn't come back 100% physically, I don't think he's going to be there psychologically for a long time, if ever again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Concussions happen in baseball due to HBP and punches and whatever else, but it should be mentioned that Corey Koskie ended up retiring 3-5 years earlier than he could have due to a concussion, and Jason LaRue was forced to retire this past year because of a concussion. Due to the apparent number of concussions Morneau has had, it's certainly possible that he may never really play again. As a baseball fan, I really hope it doesn't come to that, but it's certainly a possibility at this point.

Me too. I want to beat the twins and I like to see them lose, but not because of this. He was having such a great season.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Interesting SI article on the KC farm system:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ....html?eref=sihp

Damn, even I'm getting sick of their system and everybody knows how much I drool over premium/young talent. But we get it now. Baseball America, MLB.com, Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, Keith Law, ect. Greatest system that's ever lived. Now shut the f*** up. Not you, Play.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
Damn, even I'm getting sick of their system and everybody knows how much I drool over premium/young talent. But we get it now. Baseball America, MLB.com, Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, Keith Law, ect. Greatest system that's ever lived. Now shut the f*** up. Not you, Play.

I agree. There might not be a point in playing the 2014/2015 seasons. Their farm system is so stacked, they will be virtual locks to win the WS by then.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Morneau just doesn't want to face Sale.

Nice to see he hates the Sox as much as we do him:

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A White Sox-Twins rivalry that has been among the best in baseball in recent years could be about to grow in intensity.

Those who know Justin Morneau say he takes the rivalry more seriously than anybody in the Twins clubhouse. Now we might know just how seriously he takes it.

Jesse Crain, who pitched for the Twins for the past seven seasons, said he still hasn't received a call or text of congratulations from Morneau after signing his new contract with the White Sox this winter.

"He never congratulated me; he's the one guy who didn't," Crain said. "Even [Michael] Cuddyer and [Denard] Span and all those guys, [Joe] Mauer, everybody did. But Morneau was the one guy who never did it."

Crain and Morneau, both born in Canada, were good friends and had a solid relationship in the clubhouse, according to Crain. Just how much their friendship will change remains to be seen, but apparently it's already been affected.

Crain tried to downplay the lack of contact.

"I guess that's just the way it is," Crain said. "I'm sure when I see him we'd say, 'Hey' and stuff. I'd hope, at least. He had a lot of stuff going on this winter. He was trying get better and all that, so ... we'll see what happens."

Morneau missed a significant chunk of last season after suffering a concussion. According to White Sox infielder Mark Teahen, who worked out with Morneau in Arizona during the offseason, the former MVP appeared to be doing better.

"He was getting all his tests and stuff before the workouts, but he got through all the workouts," Teahen said. "We did a lot of running and lifting and everything else and he seemed to be fine. All in all he looked healthy to me."

Teahen and Morneau were also former teammates on Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic. So what was the relationship like between the two in the workout room?

"He's a good dude and we're buddies, but when it comes down to the baseball part, he definitely hates the White Sox," Teahen said. "It's nice to have that rivalry and kind of work out with him or against him all offseason."

Told that Morneau still hadn't congratulated his buddy Crain on landing a financially solid deal and winding up with a winning team at the same time, Teahen didn't seem too surprised.

"You know that there's that rivalry there, but with Morneau, he seems to take it hard even off the field," Teahen said. "It was fun to see and it lights your fire to want to have the same passion back the other way."

So when it was time to end the workout routine and head in their respective directions for the start of spring training, was Morneau able to wish Teahen well?

"He gave me a little fist pump and said, 'All right, I'm going to act like I don't know you until the end of the season,'" Teahen said. "I told him I was cool with that."

Edited by The Ginger Kid

I'm not sure it was cool of Crain to mention that Morneau never congratulated him. Seems like something that should definitely have been kept to himself.

Teahen mentioning that he doesn't hate the Twins is another thing that this team lacks. I wish they all had Morneau's passion and hatred for their competition, instead of all of this admiration.