2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
His body is not much different than it was 13 years ago when he was playing at TF South. He showed a lot of power in a huge park in Detroit, and the biggest improvement seems to be his approach against LHP. Playing in that park, it's not a surprise he's putting up huge numbers finally.

He's actually hitting quite a bit better on the road this season, 8 HR home and 8 HR away though...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 23, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
He's actually hitting quite a bit better on the road this season, 8 HR home and 8 HR away though...

He also started his power surge right after coming back from an injury... Which is a story we've heard before too.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2011 -> 06:19 AM)
Wilson Valdez got a win last night.

while Jo-Jo Reyes has gone winless in his last 28 starts since 2008. Gotta love baseball.

Can you imagine Soxtalk the next day if the Sox failed to get a hit against a position player?

-Sounds like Buster Posey messed up his ankle bad blocking the plate in extra innings last night. Giants already struggle to score, that would be a huge blow.

Edited by LittleHurt05

No official news yet, but an unofficial report has Posey with a broken leg and torn ligaments. Awful news for such a young talented player.

This is bringing up some good discussion as to why catchers are even allowed to block home plate. Blocking any other base is against the rules, but home plate is OK. It's not like this is the first injury that has happened in a home plate collision.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
No official news yet, but an unofficial report has Posey with a broken leg and torn ligaments. Awful news for such a young talented player.

This is bringing up some good discussion as to why catchers are even allowed to block home plate. Blocking any other base is against the rules, but home plate is OK. It's not like this is the first injury that has happened in a home plate collision.

Ouch. Get well soon!

Too bad about Posey. I hate to see young stars get sidetracked. Mauer and now Posey...it's not good for the game.

As far as not being able to block the plate, it's an interesting dilemma.

Kind of like an outfielder crashing into the wall to make a catch. Sure, you might save a run, but at the expense of being out for weeks or months? Probably not worth it in the won/loss column in the end.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

It's bringing it up because it was Buster Posey who was injured. If this were Henry Blanco or Chris Snyder it barely would have been mentioned. Is it a smart idea to block the plate? That is certainly debatable. But I don't think this necessitates any sort of rule change. It's unfortunate, especially since he's such a promising, young player, but injuries happen in every sport.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
It's bringing it up because it was Buster Posey who was injured. If this were Henry Blanco or Chris Snyder it barely would have been mentioned. Is it a smart idea to block the plate? That is certainly debatable. But I don't think this necessitates any sort of rule change. It's unfortunate, especially since he's such a promising, young player, but injuries happen in every sport.

Yeah, something like a rule change would be f***ing terrible, IMO. If a player chooses not to block the plate, that's fine (although he'll deservedly get crap). But to make the action illegal? Ugh, that would lead to even more pussification of this sport. The last thing I want is for baseball to become more like basketball, a sport where you have almost zero chance of getting hurt unless you cause the injury yourself. One of the things I hate most about basketball is the cockiness of the players that seemingly believe they're the toughest guys on Earth, although they play the least physical (in terms of collisions/bodily harm) of almost any sport in the world.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I was going to suggest not being able to launch yourself at the catcher, similar to what Cousins did last year, especially since no pads are being worn, but I don't know that that's a good fix either.

It's a tough call any way you look at it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
I was going to suggest not being able to launch yourself at the catcher, similar to what Cousins did last year, especially since no pads are being worn, but I don't know that that's a good fix either.

It's a tough call any way you look at it.

If they are going to allow a player to block the plate, you have to give the runner a chance to unblock it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah, something like a rule change would be f***ing terrible, IMO. If a player chooses not to block the plate, that's fine (although he'll deservedly get crap). But to make the action illegal? Ugh, that would lead to even more pussification of this sport. The last thing I want is for baseball to become more like basketball, a sport where you have almost zero chance of getting hurt unless you cause the injury yourself. One of the things I hate most about basketball is the cockiness of the players that seemingly believe they're the toughest guys on Earth, although they play the least physical (in terms of collisions/bodily harm) of almost any sport in the world.

answer me this:

fair catch in football. what's the difference here? there should be a rule against blocking the plate. might suck when you lose a game like that, but it could save careers, and that's more important in the long run.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Awful news about Posey.

Just destroyed my fantasy team(and yes EVERYONE cares about my fantasy team).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
Their talent has taken over. I was laughing when dumb Red Sox fans were acting like, well, we do.

With the way the AL is shaping up, Boston might just run through this league in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
With the way the AL is shaping up, Boston might just run through this league in the playoffs.

Speaking of, remind me to start buying some Phillies gear because the Heat, Canucks and Red Sox all winning a championship in the same year is too much for me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Speaking of, remind me to start buying some Phillies gear because the Heat, Canucks and Red Sox all winning a championship in the same year is too much for me.

Hockey is a joke of a sport and doesn't exist to me. But I understand what you're saying.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)

Dont remember if you are a Bears fan, but the Packers won too....ugh.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 26, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
answer me this:

fair catch in football. what's the difference here? there should be a rule against blocking the plate. might suck when you lose a game like that, but it could save careers, and that's more important in the long run.

In football the defender it trying to hit the player with the ball.

In baseball the runner is trying to hit the plate, not the catcher. If the catcher sets up on top of the plate he has to know there's a chance that the runner will try to move him out of the way to tag the plate.