2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Mr. perfect game was designated for assignment. Didn't a few posters want to take a flier on him?

If we sold off everyone and traded D1 and Jackson, sure, I'd see what Coop could do with him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
No green?

None at all.

If we got rid of 2 pitchers and tossed in the season, I'd want to see Humber stay in the rotation to find out if he can roll this for a full season, and I'd want Sale in AAA. Galaragga has a solid fastball slider combo but has zero consistency on his release point. He's the kind of guy who might work well in Cooper's system. Maybe it's a 1/20 shot, but answer me this...who else do we have who deserves a shot at starting for the big league team? There's no one from AAA who deserves a spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
None at all.

If we got rid of 2 pitchers and tossed in the season, I'd want to see Humber stay in the rotation to find out if he can roll this for a full season, and I'd want Sale in AAA. Galaragga has a solid fastball slider combo but has zero consistency on his release point. He's the kind of guy who might work well in Cooper's system. Maybe it's a 1/20 shot, but answer me this...who else do we have who deserves a shot at starting for the big league team? There's no one from AAA who deserves a spot.

If you threw in the towel, why would Sale be in AAA? You may as well start him in the majors and if he can only go 4 or 5 innings, than so be it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
If you threw in the towel, why would Sale be in AAA? You may as well start him in the majors and if he can only go 4 or 5 innings, than so be it.

Because I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet, based entirely on his performance this season. He's been relegated to mopup duty already because he's been to reguarly wild. I want him to take a step back in who he's facing and work on repeatability and throwing strikes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)

I'm with you. If we throw in the towel, Sale should start and Morel/Viciedo/Beckham/JorDanks etc should all be playing everyday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I'm with you. If we throw in the towel, Sale should start and Morel/Viciedo/Beckham/JorDanks etc should all be playing everyday.

Well if you want Sale to develop as starting pitcher, you probably want him to be in an environment where he can tinker with things a bit. That environment is not the major leagues. Whether the games matter or not, it's not good for someone's psyche to have hitters constantly kicking the s*** out of you while you work on pitches.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
None at all.

Well by that logic throw me or you out there (and don't take that literally). We have the worst collection of SP in the minors. But Galaraga? No thanks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Well by that logic throw me or you out there (and don't take that literally). We have the worst collection of SP in the minors. But Galaraga? No thanks.

Name another low risk, remote but nonzero chance of reward guy who might be available on the scrapheap to a team over the next few months?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Well if you want Sale to develop as starting pitcher, you probably want him to be in an environment where he can tinker with things a bit. That environment is not the major leagues. Whether the games matter or not, it's not good for someone's psyche to have hitters constantly kicking the s*** out of you while you work on pitches.

If he struggled after the switch, I'd be fine with it. But since he is here already, he probably should stay here if at all possible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
If he struggled after the switch, I'd be fine with it. But since he is here already, he probably should stay here if at all possible.

You don't think he's struggling right now?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)

If there is one spot we have been good at, it is fixer upers. If the Sox felt they could fix Armando, I'd have no problem with it. The fact they didn't claim him over the winter when they would have been near the top of the list to do so probably tells me what they think of him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
Yup. So both the Dbacks and Rays got cheap/premium talent for an underachiever that's gone after this year.

Wow, Joyce is beasting after his piss-poor start. ZiPS projects him to have a 20 homer year with a .380 wOBA this season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
The Rays know what they're doing. And they've got a billion picks coming up in next month's draft.

They are playing a video game in real life. That's like the only way I can describe that. They lost Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena (who cares), and their entire bullpen, a member of their rotation, their starting SS, and it's no big deal. Seriously, WTF? That's the kind of s*** you pull off in OOTP, not with a major league team.

The Rays are like quite literally the polar opposite of the White Sox.

I'm a Sox homer - not as big as some, but more than most - so I want to clarify that and point out that I don't mean that in any negative connotation whatsoever, because both styles can work. But the Rays don't resign their free agents, they make tons of trades to bring in young players, they use the prospects within their system for their major league team and nothing else, and they build, manage, and coach their team through sabermetric philosophies. The White Sox have done, for the most part, none of those things over the past 10 years. Neither style is necessarily wrong (I think both are wrong, personally, but the Rays are forced to do so because they are not a wealthy franchise, not by choice), it's just attacking the monster with different tactics.