2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
I'm watching the Jays/Twins game right now. Does Brandon Morrow have the best 'stuff' in the game? Fangraphs was talking about this a few days ago. I'm really starting to wonder. I really truly think he has the best stuff in the game (until Strasburg comes back) right now.

I wouldn't take too much from a game against the Twins right now. A lot of guys look good against them.

STOP PITCHING TO JOSE BAUTISTA

Seriously, he deserves the Bonds treatment at this point. I get that Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion can hit home runs too, but they don't beat you at near the regularity as Bautista. He is absolutely ridiculous right now.

Can you imagine if Williams had actually been able to acquire him last year?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)

Seriously, he deserves the Bonds treatment at this point. I get that Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion can hit home runs too, but they don't beat you at near the regularity as Bautista. He is absolutely ridiculous right now.

I am fapping vigorously.

Today will be the 14th straight game for Bautista with a positive WPA. That is 14 straight games his play improved the Jays' odds of winning the game. It is insanity.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 15, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
I am fapping vigorously.

Today will be the 14th straight game for Bautista with a positive WPA. That is 14 straight games his play improved the Jays' odds of winning the game. It is insanity.

It will be an upset if he doesn't end up winning the MVP and I think he has a legitimate chance at putting up a 1.200 OPS. What makes this even more incredible is that he's doing it in a supposed down period for offense. I can't even say that he's not a .350 hitter right now either.

He has gotten to the point where you have to stop what you are doing and watch when he comes to bat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
I'm watching the Jays/Twins game right now. Does Brandon Morrow have the best 'stuff' in the game? Fangraphs was talking about this a few days ago. I'm really starting to wonder. I really truly think he has the best stuff in the game (until Strasburg comes back) right now.

He's up there. The Jays have a bunch of good talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)

Yeah, but he would sit on the bench while Pierre played LF. Unless Bautista took 3B, of course.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Is Jose Bautista even a real person? This is f***in absurd.

Southsider2k5 does not think so. But obviously he passed last years tests since we did not hear anything. So unless he is on HGH, which would devastate me, he is human.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 15, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
Southsider2k5 does not think so. But obviously he passed last years tests since we did not hear anything. So unless he is on HGH, which would devastate me, he is human.

I think it's legit. He always swung hard and was a patient hitter, but the timing mechanism with his foot along with opening up juuuust a bit has allowed him the ability to see the ball longer and better.

Jose Bautista homer off Lester, 2008

Jose Bautista homer off Duensing, Today

There is a clear and distinguishable difference between the two. I don't see any difference in his swing at all, and he may not open up at all, but his approach is completely different and it is quite pronounced. That leg kick he has seems to open him up at the plate and allows him to both see the ball better and get better hip rotation, which contributes to his power, and he had a very powerful swing to begin with.

Edited by witesoxfan

(bringing this over from the Central thread)

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
It has nothing to do with him being a non Sox player.

He went from a guy hitting 16 home runs in 120-140 games to hitting 54 in a season and now 16 in 32 games.

But yeah, now that there is steroid testing it must mean every player is clean...

Or it could be a simple mechanical adjustment.

Above are videos from 2008 and 2011. Here are videos from July 2009 and October 2009.

July 2009 off of David Price

October 2009 off of Jeremy Guthrie

HUGE difference, and it is become more pronounced this year too. His plate coverage has improved and, as mentioned, always had a good eye at the plate.

And I'm well aware that not all PED's increase your body size, but his body hasn't increased at all. If anything, it sort of looks like he's slimmed down over time, which could feasibly allow him to get through the zone quicker, especially if he hasn't lost any strength in losing size.

I think he's clean.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 15, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)

Well since they do test now, he isn't unless there's something he's taking that isn't showing up yet. And BTW, I believe he's clean too and agree with wite about his mechanical adjustment.