2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
So what's happened to Broxton? Just overuse over the years? He was throwing 89-91 mph last night after averaging 98 mph a few years ago.

Jonathan Broxton(notes) finally confirmed what many have long suspected. He's injured and it's preventing him from pitching well. On Wednesday, the Dodgers shut Broxton down and said he'll undergo a MRI exam. That is, if doctors can find a MRI tube big enough to accommodate the beefy reliever.

www.yahoo.com/sports

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Bobby Jenks to the DL with a 9.35 ERA, 2.54 WHIP.

I love how the Red Sox will just put guys who stink on the DL. They did it last year with Dice-K.

Can the white sox put Beckham and Morel on the DL? Maybe a 60-day DL for Gordon so he can just come back during the second half and hit since that seems to be the only way he can...

As part of a new collective bargaining agreement with the union, Major League Baseball is seeking a stipulation that would enable commissioner Bud Selig to discipline players who are involved in alcohol-related incidents.

"This certainly has been something that we've been discussing in our ongoing collective bargaining talks," league spokesman Pat Courtney said, according to the New York Daily News.

USA Today and the Daily News have reported on the talks previously. The current CBA expires Dec. 11.

Six active players have been cited already this year for driving under the influence, most notably Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera. The others: Atlanta's Derek Lowe, Cleveland's Shin-Soo Choo and Austin Kearns, Oakland's Coco Crisp and Seattle's Adam Kennedy.

None of the six has been suspended by the respective teams. The current CBA does not provide Selig with the power to suspend players for alcohol-related offenses. Baseball's drug policy does include a provision for discipline for players linked to "drugs of abuse."

Players who test positive for drugs such as marijuana or cocaine are ordered to receive counseling and could be suspended if they do not cooperate.

Link

Betancourt breaks it up.

So much for that.

Weird. Gallardo now is returning the favor to the Cardinals with a no-hitter through 7.

Dead.

But Verlander's is still alive going into the bottom of the 9th in TOR.

http://ilemi.me/23520/1/Watch-Detroit-Tige...onto-Blue-Jays/

Arencibia got a walk (he battled his butt off) but it was erased by a double play ball so he's still only faced 24 hitters through 8.

Verlander hit 101 and 100 a number of times in that inning on their gun. In the high 90's for pitch count.

He does it, strikes out Rajai Davis.

Only one walk in the game. Second career no-hitter already.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
So what, that's 2 bad call no-hitters in a week?

What call should have negated Liriano's no-hitter? I know Beckham was safe at first, but that would have been a fielders choice anyway, so it didn't change anything. I don't remember any other bad calls.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
What call should have negated Liriano's no-hitter? I know Beckham was safe at first, but that would have been a fielders choice anyway, so it didn't change anything. I don't remember any other bad calls.

Wouldn't have negated it but that's another at bat for a guy who's already thrown 120+ pitches and another baserunner to deal with.