2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've caught one foul ball in my life. It was against the Indians a few years ago, sitting the 300 level. High pop just came straight at me and caught it on the fly.

One game in 2005, I was sitting the 2nd row behind the Sox dugout. Early in the game, Rowand tosses me the ball as he heads in the dugout. Of course, Butterfingers McGee drops the soft toss and someone else gets the ball. My friends were just ripping on me the whole time for the drop. Luckily, later in the night, Konerko tosses another one to me, and there was no way I was letting that one drop!

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 03:55 AM)
Unfortunately the ball I got was from Cardinals batting practice and not during the actual game, but it was still cool none the less that it was a ball hit into the stands at a MLB game

lol same here,2 yrs ago. it was when the angels had batting practice. i had the second row , right next to the bullpen. im walking to my seat and i hear something fall right next to me in the 3rd row. i look and it was a ball someone shagging balls for the angels threw. i know it wasnt used in a game but i think its really cool because the angels had just finished playing the twins in minnesota. i guess they brought the balls they used over there because it had a commerative logo of the metrodome(with the yrs of when it first opened and the final year) since it was the last yr. i hated the dome like everyone here does so its a nice reminder that they lost such a great home field advantage :)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
lol same here,2 yrs ago. it was when the angels had batting practice. i had the second row , right next to the bullpen. im walking to my seat and i hear something fall right next to me in the 3rd row. i look and it was a ball someone shagging balls for the angels threw. i know it wasnt used in a game but i think its really cool because the angels had just finished playing the twins in minnesota. i guess they brought the balls they used over there because it had a commerative logo of the metrodome(with the yrs of when it first opened and the final year) since it was the last yr. i hated the dome like everyone here does so its a nice reminder that they lost such a great home field advantage :)

That sounds like it might be a cool gesture by the Angels. Or maybe it's just a normal thing.

When I was a little kid my dad would take me to BP before the game and once a homer was coming right our way and I reached up for it with my glove but I was a bit too short so the guy behind me ended up catching it with his hat (which is pretty cool in itself). But the guy was holding a beer and it spilled all over me so the guy felt really bad and gave me the baseball. There were plenty of jokes in that BP session about me being drunk and covered in beer, good times.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
When I was a little kid my dad would take me to BP before the game and once a homer was coming right our way and I reached up for it with my glove but I was a bit too short so the guy behind me ended up catching it with his hat (which is pretty cool in itself). But the guy was holding a beer and it spilled all over me so the guy felt really bad and gave me the baseball. There were plenty of jokes in that BP session about me being drunk and covered in beer, good times.

And thus started an adolescence of alcoholism in foreign lands...

;)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)

Craig Grebeck hit a line drive foul ball right at my head. Nailed a guy's beer on the way to me, but because the plastic beer cup shattered, I couldn't see the ball coming. My dad managed to snag it out of the air before the ball nailed my head, but I wound up with most of the beer on me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
Craig Grebeck hit a line drive foul ball right at my head. Nailed a guy's beer on the way to me, but because the plastic beer cup shattered, I couldn't see the ball coming. My dad managed to snag it out of the air before the ball nailed my head, but I wound up with most of the beer on me.

Did you also get funny looks from other parents as they walked by a beer reeking child?

Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell was suspended for two weeks without pay Sunday by Major League Baseball for inappropriate comments and gestures he made toward fans before a game in San Francisco.

The suspension is retroactive to Friday, when McDowell was placed on administrative leave by the Braves. He also was fined an undisclosed amount for the April 23 incident.

McDowell will be required to complete sensitivity training and will have to apologize directly to the fans involved, Justin Quinn and his family.

Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement Sunday that insensitivity to others "simply cannot and will not be tolerated."

"I understand that Mr. McDowell is very contrite about his conduct, and hopefully this incident will be used to increase public awareness of the importance of sensitivity to others," Selig said. "I commend Justin Quinn and his family for bringing this issue to our attention so that it will not happen again in the future."

Quinn said he was in the stands with his wife and 9-year-old twin daughters before the April 23 game at San Francisco when he noticed McDowell ask three men "Are you guys a homo couple or a threesome?"

Quinn said McDowell made crude sexual gestures with his hips and a bat. Quinn said he shouted, "Hey there are kids out here."

According to Quinn, McDowell said kids don't belong at a baseball park, picked up a bat, walked up to Quinn and asked him, "How much are your teeth worth?"

Link

Houston Astros left fielder Carlos Lee has been carted off the field after he was injured in a collision with shortstop Angel Sanchez.

The team says Lee has been taken to a hospital for X-rays on the left side of his ribcage.

Both players were chasing Mark Kotsay's pop-fly double in the seventh inning Sunday against Milwaukee when Sanchez crashed into Lee, sliding knee-first into his abdomen. Lee remained on the ground, writhing in pain, for several minutes while trainers attended to him.

link

Joaquin Benoit has given up 10 ER in 11 IP this year. He gave up 9 ER in 60.1 IP last year.

This is Exhibit T-439 as to why you don't give a big multi year contract to a middle reliever, especially one that is coming off his first fully healthy year in 3 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Joaquin Benoit has given up 10 ER in 11 IP this year. He gave up 9 ER in 60.1 IP last year.

This is Exhibit T-439 as to why you don't give a big multi year contract to a middle reliever, especially one that is coming off his first fully healthy year in 3 years.

It will all balance out

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)

Especially a reliever with a career ERA of 4.47 & a WHIP of 1.34. (And that includes last year's unbelievable season and excludes this year's crappy start)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
So what's happened to Broxton? Just overuse over the years? He was throwing 89-91 mph last night after averaging 98 mph a few years ago.

A lot of people point towards a June 27 outing vs. the Yankees last year. He threw 48 pitches in blowing a 4-run lead and has never been the same. His stats before and after that game are eye-opening, can't find the article that listed them. Sounds like they are shutting him down for now.