2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
I'll trust you guys who know our prospects the best.

Does Sale have 3-4 good, effective pitches? If so, he's a starter, right? If he only has two, he's a reliever.

Then Stewart's in a lot of trouble, he only consistently throws 2 pitches.

If they're Contreras or Verlander type stuff, you can get away with it. And Sale's slider is good enough with that fastball because of the speed differential.

Still, he does need to add a 3rd pitch he can throw 10-15% of the time...that could make him truly special as a starter, if his arm/shoulder/elbow and mechanics hold up with that bean-pole frame over a 162 game season.

Of course, a lot of people doubted Gio Gonzalez had the ability to be a starter when we drafted it and POOF!, look how far he came from draft day to now.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 04:06 AM)
Then Stewart's in a lot of trouble, he only consistently throws 2 pitches.

If they're Contreras or Verlander type stuff, you can get away with it. And Sale's slider is good enough with that fastball because of the speed differential.

Still, he does need to add a 3rd pitch he can throw 10-15% of the time...that could make him truly special as a starter, if his arm/shoulder/elbow and mechanics hold up with that bean-pole frame over a 162 game season.

Of course, a lot of people doubted Gio Gonzalez had the ability to be a starter when we drafted it and POOF!, look how far he came from draft day to now.

Sale has a solid change.

I gotta kick this dead horse again. Our guys getting hit and opposing pitchers throwing inside, and the Sox never protect by plunking opposing batters. A.J. hurt by Chen last night. No wonder Chen [and so many others] have success against the Sox, they have the whole plate plus inside and outside to work with. No fear of retaliation from our all talk no action manager. A.J. gets hit, Butler gets hit. No discussion its just done. let the catcher think about it when he calls for an inside pitch. When he is at bat he is at risk.

QUOTE (since56 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
I gotta kick this dead horse again. Our guys getting hit and opposing pitchers throwing inside, and the Sox never protect by plunking opposing batters. A.J. hurt by Chen last night. No wonder Chen [and so many others] have success against the Sox, they have the whole plate plus inside and outside to work with. No fear of retaliation from our all talk no action manager. A.J. gets hit, Butler gets hit. No discussion its just done. let the catcher think about it when he calls for an inside pitch. When he is at bat he is at risk.

Ozzie might be the biggest sissy manager in baseball. It seems like the only people he gits fired up at are the fans when he's criticized.

Edited by BigSqwert

Tonight's lineup:

Pierre, Vizquel, Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, De Aza, Morel, Lillibridge, Flowers

Peavy vs Hochevar

Hochevar has put up 4 quality starts in his last 5, with an ERA of 2.41.

So enjoy the fireworks after the game.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Tonight's lineup:

Pierre, Vizquel, Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, De Aza, Morel, Lillibridge, Flowers

Peavy vs Hochevar

Hochevar has put up 4 quality starts in his last 5, with an ERA of 2.41.

So enjoy the fireworks after the game.

Omar...?

God why.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
So Dunn's just flat out benched? With the nasty sinker ballers we're facing next week, I'd rather pray he starts seeing the ball a little better. Anyone that thinks we can still make the postseason with this type of lineup is wrong, IMO.

Dunn HAS to be benched, but this lineup proves it's just not our year.

Oz doesn't get it.

Omar cannot play.

This lineup tonight sucks. It'll take some long balls from the usual suspects to win.

Three or more long balls.

We're gonna lose another series to KC. Amazing.

At least DeAza is in for inept Rios.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Dunn HAS to be benched, but this lineup proves it's just not our year.

Oz doesn't get it.

Omar cannot play.

This lineup tonight sucks. It'll take some long balls from the usual suspects to win.

Three or more long balls.

We're gonna lose another series to KC. Amazing.

Something that's ridiculous is that De Aza looks like he could be a very good #2 hitter. He hits a ton of grounders between first and second, which is exactly what you want. I guess Ozzie has too much respect to bat Vizquel down in the lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
Something that's ridiculous is that De Aza looks like he could be a very good #2 hitter. He hits a ton of grounders between first and second, which is exactly what you want. I guess Ozzie has too much respect to bat Vizquel down in the lineup.

I'd love for DeAza to be second.

It's not our year... sucks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
Thing is, Beckham is better against righties than lefties. Ozzie I'm sure has no idea of this.

I'm sure Ozzie's sick of watching Beckham make outs like the rest of Soxdom.

Problem is we have so many lousy hitters.