2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
One has a SLG% of over .500, the other one is just over .300. I'll let you guess which player has the higher one. Probably the same player you would have guessed in March.

If Brent Lillibridge qualified, he would be 13th in the AL in slugging percentage. I really think he's got a little bit of Ben Zobrist in him (though hopefully not literally).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
If Brent Lillibridge qualified, he would be 13th in the AL in slugging percentage. I really think he's got a little bit of Ben Zobrist in him (though hopefully not literally).

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)

If he had enough ABs to qualify, he would be no where near those numbers.

Garfien's Sox Drawer

Funny bit about the Sox players having fake names to check into hotels.

In their attempts to shield themselves from the uber-aggressive fans and over-zealous radio stations, players from the White Sox, and all major league teams, come to every town with an arsenal of pseudonyms to keep distractions and intrusions to a minimum.

Bart Simpson, Napoleon Dynamite, Hannibal Lecter and Clark W. Griswold might not be actual human beings, but during the baseball season, you’ll find these fictitious cultural icons alive and well, checking into some of the most luxurious hotels in the country.

But the aliases not only work to confuse the fans, they can also frustrate the players themselves when they’re trying to reach one of their teammates in the hotel. It happened to Dunn on a road trip just last month.

“We were in Kansas City and I need to get ahold of Edwin Jackson, and he wasn’t answering his cell phone,” Dunn explained.

So Dunn took out the team’s room list, and instead of seeing names like Jackson, Santos, and Pierzynski, it was a random collection of movie characters, musicians, TV stars and dead presidents.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
If he had enough ABs to qualify, he would be no where near those numbers.

True.

Lillibridge has to be the first big leaguer his size to be a power hitter.

But this is his total approach.

It's pretty remarkable and stupid. He'll never be a regular in the big leagues when it looks as if he has some talent.

Why he thinks he's a power hitter is beyond me.

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Sale's eighth consecutive scoreless outing (11 2/3 innings)

MGon follwed that up with a good article on Sale. I wish we could put him the rotation next gradually to increase his innings count. It looks like he could develop into a top of the rotation starter if he develops one more plus pitch.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7504257.story

Article: By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

9:56 p.m. CDT, August 9, 2011

BALTIMORE - At this point, it doesn't matter whether left-hander Chris Sale is facing left-handed or right-handed hitters in key late-inning situations.

Manager Ozzie Guillen has so much confidence in Sale right now that he's keeping him in to pitch for an extended period, no matter who is at the plate and how well they perform against left-handers.

That was the case during the Chicago White Sox's 4-3 victory at Baltimore that extended their winning streak to a season-high five games.

After Sale induced Chris Davis to hit a feeble pop to second for the second out in the eighth inning, Guillen left Sale in to face right-handed power hitter Mark Reynolds. Sale proceded to throw a wicked slider that froze Reynolds for a called third strike to end the inning.

"It’s a pitch I’ve been throwing to lefties a lot," Sale said. "A.J. (Pierzynski) says at night it looks so far out of the strike zone and breaks back in. It’s been working and feeling good, and I’ve been able to throw it for strikes. I have to keep figuring out how to throw it (right-handers)."

In the ninth, Guillen let Sale face switch-hitter Matt Wieters, who was batting .326 against left-handers but only .237 against right-handers. Sale, however, struck out Wieters.

Guillen said later that he wanted Sale to start the inning so that Josh Bell would have to pinch-hit for left-handed hitter Felix Pie.

Although Bell was batting .077 against right-handed batters and .273 against lefties, he hit a routine grounder to shortstop for the second out.

"That’s why we kept him there for one more batter," Guillen said. "But it seems like last 1 ½ to 3 weeks, no matter who is at the plate, he’s going to throw strikes. When this kid throws strikes, he’s nasty. His slider is good, his changeup is working better. His fastball is his weapon.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 02:36 AM)
Go for it!

I'll trust you guys who know our prospects the best.

Does Sale have 3-4 good, effective pitches? If so, he's a starter, right? If he only has two, he's a reliever.