2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 23, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
Is that even possible? He's seemed to have gotten worse as the season progressed.

Aside from a few bad games he's actually had a good month at the dish and his defense has been well above average all season.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
??? - You lost me right here on your first sentence.

I would think it has EVERYTHING to do with performance of pitchers. If the defense messes up, the runs are unearned, so....like... yeah.... thanks.

Do you mean to say the Red Sox started off badly and came back? And we didn't? And we didn't support our best pitcher, in particular?

If so, say so.

We hit like s***. We have a dumb f***ing mgr. who squanders outs and real live baserunners like they're toilet paper and he's wiping his ass.

Not even sure what you're point is.

If I was John, I"d run like f***ing hell from this team. Can't really blame him if (when) he does.

I was referring to Lester's 6 wins compared to Danks' zero, notice the last thing that's said just before the line about the pitcher's performance: Lester has 6 wins. so yeah

I guess the Secret Service will take a bullet for the President, but not a baseball, because they sure were no where to be seen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

ARLINGTON -- White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski called it a light moment in an otherwise quick game. It involved a former President of the United States and a Hall of Famer.

In an otherwise innocuous moment during the Rangers' 4-0 victory on Monday night, Pierzynski drifted over near the owner's box close to the Rangers dugout for a foul popup off the bat of Adrian Beltre in the sixth inning. He reached around the wire netting and tried to snag the ball while in the process almost falling in the lap of former President George W. Bush. Former First Lady Laura Bush was seated next to her husband, and pitching great Nolan Ryan -- the Rangers current team president/CEO -- and his wife, Ruth, were seated in the front row as well.

Pierzynski said after the two-hour, five-minute game that he knew the former president was seated there. But Pierzynski also knew he had a chance to catch the ball, so he reached around the wire netting. The ball bounced off a metal drink counter in front of Bush and Co.

"I realized that I almost jumped in the former president's lap," Pierzynski said. "It was funny. I had Nolan Ryan and George Bush sitting within five feet of each other. I at least had a good landing spot if I went all the way over the wall."

Television replays showed Pierzynski and Bush exchanged what looked like a light-hearted moment.

"I just told him just because he was the president doesn't mean I won't jump on top of him," Pierzynski said. "He and his wife got a good chuckle out of that one."

Replays showed the former president asking Pierzynski if he was OK. The White Sox catcher said afterward that he got his thumb caught in the wire netting.

"He was like, 'Are you OK?' Pierzynski said. "And I was like, 'You'll have to watch out. Just because you were the president doesn't mean I won't jump on top of you now.'"

Ramirez is too good a hitter, and too poor a bunter to be hitting number two. Vizquel seems like a better fit there.

Dunn? If he didn't carry a past reputation he would be cut. So far he sucks big time.

Rios bad.

Just when Morel starts to hit Ozzie stops playing him. Ozzie is very frustrating.

Pierre is coming around but still scary in the field. Konerko is great. Quentin and A.J. are what they are. Beckham is a ?

Cleveland is frightening me.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ May 24, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Dunn? If he didn't carry a past reputation he would be cut. So far he sucks big time.

Definitely. I'm sure the Sox would have no problem paying him the $50 millions he's still owed to play on someone else's team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
I guess the Secret Service will take a bullet for the President, but not a baseball, because they sure were no where to be seen.

The Service guy is wearing plain clothes, a hat, and has glasses tucked into his shirt, he's sitting right behind W.

Both Pierzynski and the Bushes had a good laugh about it afterwards, while a man who appeared to be part of Bush's Secret Service detail looked on nervously behind the couple.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
The Service guy is wearing plain clothes, a hat, and has glasses tucked into his shirt, he's sitting right behind W.

Can you imagine the ribbing that Agent would get for being 'the guy that let the Bush's get hit with a baseball/have AJ fall in their laps'? Related, I wonder what the Agent would have done had AJ actually fallen into W's lap.

Definitely. I'm sure the Sox would have no problem paying him the $50 millions he's still owed to play on someone else's team.

I am trying real hard to be fair with this contract but maybe he just won't snap out of it and be a bust. Then you gotta shop around and see if someone will take on the contract but we will have to eat some major salary.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ May 24, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
Can you imagine the ribbing that Agent would get for being 'the guy that let the Bush's get hit with a baseball/have AJ fall in their laps'? Related, I wonder what the Agent would have done had AJ actually fallen into W's lap.

Honestly, what could the guy have really done? Tried to catch AJ? From that position he was in that wouldn't work very well.

Beckham has battled through his second high-profile slump in two seasons, after bursting on to the scene in 2009 and capturing two American League Rookie of the Year awards, which were both voted on by his peers.

I don't get this sentence at all. Two ROY awards? I didn't think that was possible.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 24, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't get this sentence at all. Two ROY awards? I didn't think that was possible.

Sporting News ROY and MLBPA ROY

He didn't win the official award handed out by major league baseball but those two awards are voted on by a panel of players/managers/gms and the MLBPA award is by all current players.. So basically he won two of the ROY awards

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I am trying real hard to be fair with this contract but maybe he just won't snap out of it and be a bust. Then you gotta shop around and see if someone will take on the contract but we will have to eat some major salary.

Stop and think about that for a minute, if he is a bust, who is going to take on that contract? It makes zero sense.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Honestly, what could the guy have really done? Tried to catch AJ? From that position he was in that wouldn't work very well.

If it was a bullet, he was supposed to be on top of the President. Either that or bring a mitt to the game and catch the damned ball. I'm not quite sure how with the President sitting in the front row, you don't prepare for the contingency that a baseball might well end up in his lap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
If it was a bullet, he was supposed to be on top of the President. Either that or bring a mitt to the game and catch the damned ball. I'm not quite sure how with the President sitting in the front row, you don't prepare for the contingency that a baseball might well end up in his lap.

They probably aren't too worried about that situation. Unless this is an f'n Naked Gun movie, a professional baseball player isn't going to attempt to harm a political leader in the crowd.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
They probably aren't too worried about that situation. Unless this is an f'n Naked Gun movie, a professional baseball player isn't going to attempt to harm a political leader in the crowd.

You never know with AJ...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Sporting News ROY and MLBPA ROY

He didn't win the official award handed out by major league baseball but those two awards are voted on by a panel of players/managers/gms and the MLBPA award is by all current players.. So basically he won two of the ROY awards

Did not know that. Thanks.

Three teams have ever started a season 30-15 or better following a year of 90 or more losses. Those three teams are the '51 Sox, '01 Twins, and the Indians this year. Following their hot starts, both the '51 Sox and '01 regressed to their mean- Sox finished 81-73 for 4th in the AL, Twins finished 85-77 for 2nd in the Central.

This is all wrapping up the 'talent discussion' that others have said (that Cleveland is doing this largely with the same team as last year and they are not a team of top prospects like they Rays were)- we all agree the Indians are playing far outside of expectations; if history is any indicator from similar teams, they will come back to earth.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ May 24, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Three teams have ever started a season 30-15 or better following a year of 90 or more losses. Those three teams are the '51 Sox, '01 Twins, and the Indians this year. Following their hot starts, both the '51 Sox and '01 regressed to their mean- Sox finished 81-73 for 4th in the AL, Twins finished 85-77 for 2nd in the Central.

This is all wrapping up the 'talent discussion' that others have said (that Cleveland is doing this largely with the same team as last year and they are not a team of top prospects like they Rays were)- we all agree the Indians are playing far outside of expectations; if history is any indicator from similar teams, they will come back to earth.

But falling back to Earth can still be good enough for a playoff spot in a terrible division.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 24, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
But falling back to Earth can still be good enough for a playoff spot in a terrible division.

Obviously I'm not saying we don't need to play well but it is something to think about- there is a precedent that suggests the Indians will stumble and finish closer to how everyone expected them to play. With the exception of last night, it looks like the bats have been heating up in the last two weeks and we could be poised to make this interesting in the next two weeks.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ May 24, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Padres Class AAA infielder Alex Cintron retires. Agent Burton Rocks says desire was there, but past surgeries affected him physically. #MLB

4 minutes ago

I forgot all about Cintron.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ May 24, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Padres Class AAA infielder Alex Cintron retires. Agent Burton Rocks says desire was there, but past surgeries affected him physically. #MLB

4 minutes ago

Both pieces of that deal are now retired with my hero Jeff Bajenaru working as a pitching coach for one of the low minors teams with Arizona.