2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
You two should meet up one weekend and drink together.

:cheers

greg has shocked me. He's slurped guys like Wise, Jenks and said Dye was a good defender from '07-'09. I've never done that. Bad baseball is bad baseball. greg hates everybody. As much s*** as I talk, I've never blamed KW for the Dunn signing. He just sucks. No way around it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)
greg has shocked me. He's slurped guys like Wise, Jenks and said Dye was a good defender from '07-'09. I've never done that. Bad baseball is bad baseball. greg hates everybody. As much s*** as I talk, I've never blamed KW for the Dunn signing. He just sucks. No way around it.

I just wonder what you meant by I hate everybody. I don't think I hate everybody on the team.

Around the horn, I like Paulie, Beckham, Lexi, neutral on Morel. I like him more than dislike. Dislike Teahen, not a fan of Omar playing every day.

Currently don't like AJ much. Don't like Pierre, dislike Rios, definitely like CQ. Hate Dunn.

On the mound, like Mark, Danks, don't care much for Floyd, Jackson, I do like Humber.

Not a fan of any of our relief corps except Sergio.

Really down on Matt and not a huge fan of what I've seen of Sale. Hate Pena.

Bench: I do like Lilly; don't like Castro much.

So I like a majority of the team.

Coaches: Don't care for any of them right now. Love Ozzie, hate the job he's done burying us this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 03:08 AM)
I just wonder what you meant by I hate everybody. I don't think I hate everybody on the team.

Around the horn, I like Paulie, Beckham, Lexi, neutral on Morel. I like him more than dislike. Dislike Teahen, not a fan of Omar playing every day.

Currently don't like AJ much. Don't like Pierre, dislike Rios, definitely like CQ. Hate Dunn.

On the mound, like Mark, Danks, don't care much for Floyd, Jackson, I do like Humber.

Not a fan of any of our relief corps except Sergio.

Really down on Matt and not a huge fan of what I've seen of Sale. Hate Pena.

Bench: I do like Lilly; don't like Castro much.

So I like a majority of the team.

Coaches: Don't care for any of them right now. Love Ozzie, hate the job he's done burying us this year.

So basically you like everyone who does good, and dislike everyone who isn't performing..

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
Has anyone tried to read Ozzie's tweets tonight? I know he can't speak our language but they're seriously unreadable.

Yup, he was pissed at whatever newspaper published the "Ozzie rips White Sox fans" article.

In my eyes, the Sox have till the All Star break to make their move. It makes no sense to tear down the team at this point in time. They can either go on a tear and get back into the race, which is a good thing; they can play well and get somewhat back into the race, which isn't a bad thing but not necessarily good either, and then, once they lose a ton of money, can start trading players and letting free agents go in the offseason. They can tread water, which leaves them double digits out of 1st still which would be cause for a sale. They can play terribly and be worse than they are now which most certainly is cause for a sale. If the team fails, they have a month to trade people off...there's no rush.

That doesn't mean that they don't make a change now. I get Viciedo up here and get his bat in the lineup every single day because that type of production could be just the spark the Sox need to get back into the race. You also consider canning Ozzie and/or Walker and going from there.

Oh, and if the 3rd or 4th scenario plays out, I ask Williams to resign or fire him if need be before the sell off and let Hahn take over the GM duties on an interim basis with intentions of making him the full time GM because I think Hahn deserves a chance.

Edited by witesoxfan

Why exactly does Hahn deserve a chance?

Because he's supposedly more from the sabremetrics/statistical field of analysis?

I remember a lot of people wanted Dan Evans to become the GM of the Sox and that obviously wasn't meant to be, KW actually got us to the World Series.

HOWEVER, there's very little that makes me have confidence he'd be a good GM, other than being a "loyal footsoldier" to JR and KW...and working behind the scenes, negotiating contracts, dealing with ancillary issues that KW doesn't particularly enjoy.

About the only thing that would be more annoying than Hahn as GM is either Cora or Buddy Bell. Everyone else, why not, at this point?

I'd almost rather we named the Vice President of the Dominican Republic as our GM. At least that way, there'd be some hope for getting future prospects out of the Dominican. I jest. But seriously...how long do we have to wait to see a quality MLB-contributing player from either there or Venezuela? 5 years? 10?

I'd just like to see what are some of the reasons that others feel he'd be a good GM? Because of signing Alexei Ramirez to his contract extension? Aren't Hahn and Bell also partially responsible for the Teahen fiasco? Can he also be held accountable for never making any progress in getting Danks to sign an extension or do we put that 100% on KW, the Danks family and his agent?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Why exactly does Hahn deserve a chance?

Because he's supposedly more from the sabremetrics/statistical field of analysis?

I remember a lot of people wanted Dan Evans to become the GM of the Sox and that obviously wasn't meant to be, KW actually got us to the World Series.

Hahn has been with the White Sox for 10 years, has shown the ability to deal with Scott Boras (which is more than anyone else in the White Sox organization can say), does deal with advanced statistics and goes about looking for creative ways to build teams. I have no reason to base this next statement other than sheer feeling, but I believe he would rebuild the farm system and try to keep that somewhat stocked at all times. He wants to win, but he always wants to run a successful business, and part of that is proper spending and resource allocation. I also think he'd get away from the stolen base and small ball, which would make everyone here about a thousand times happier.

Oh, and Dan Evans built the Dodgers farm system up pretty damn well. He certainly wasn't a great GM, but there have been several GMs who have been worse than him recently.

HOWEVER, there's very little that makes me have confidence he'd be a good GM, other than being a "loyal footsoldier" to JR and KW...and working behind the scenes, negotiating contracts, dealing with ancillary issues that KW doesn't particularly enjoy.

About the only thing that would be more annoying than Hahn as GM is either Cora or Buddy Bell. Everyone else, why not, at this point?

I'd like to know why you'd believe he'd be a "loyal footsoldier." I'm certain he wouldn't make any moves that he was advised not to make - that applies to any person in America who values their employment. I am just generally confused as to what you mean by "loyal footsoldier." Will he not spend overslot for draft picks? If that's what the man upstairs wants, then what choice does he have? I just seriously don't understand.

I'd almost rather we named the Vice President of the Dominican Republic as our GM. At least that way, there'd be some hope for getting future prospects out of the Dominican. I jest. But seriously...how long do we have to wait to see a quality MLB-contributing player from either there or Venezuela? 5 years? 10?

It'll come. I think the Sox at this point are still cleaning up their mess a bit and they're waiting for the rest of it to be cleaned up too, as I seem to recall reading that there's a lot of shady stuff going on down there. They're building ties within though and I think within the next 5 years you'll see them relevant in the Dominican again. And, as far as I'm aware, they're one of the few teams in Brazil. The first two have been relative busts - not that there was any expectation on them to begin with - but Rienzo looks like a good prospect.

I'd just like to see what are some of the reasons that others feel he'd be a good GM? Because of signing Alexei Ramirez to his contract extension? Aren't Hahn and Bell also partially responsible for the Teahen fiasco? Can he also be held accountable for never making any progress in getting Danks to sign an extension or do we put that 100% on KW, the Danks family and his agent?

Are you somehow suggesting that a GM can't make a bad move? There were a lot of reasons to like both the Teahen trade and resigning. There were also a lot of reasons to hate it. Those that hated it have been justified. The same can be said for the Adam Dunn signing as well as pretty much the entirety of the 2005 offseason. Much of GMing is a guessing game.

As for the reasons, I've listed the ones I did already. Here's this too.

Edited by witesoxfan

So, when Teahen is ready to be activated from the DL, do you send down Morel so he can get regular playing time, or just DFA McPherson? Morel has options and could use the at bats, just like with Viciedo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Hahn has been with the White Sox for 10 years, has shown the ability to deal with Scott Boras (which is more than anyone else in the White Sox organization can say), does deal with advanced statistics and goes about looking for creative ways to build teams. I have no reason to base this next statement other than sheer feeling, but I believe he would rebuild the farm system and try to keep that somewhat stocked at all times. He wants to win, but he always wants to run a successful business, and part of that is proper spending and resource allocation. I also think he'd get away from the stolen base and small ball, which would make everyone here about a thousand times happier.

Oh, and Dan Evans built the Dodgers farm system up pretty damn well. He certainly wasn't a great GM, but there have been several GMs who have been worse than him recently.

I'd like to know why you'd believe he'd be a "loyal footsoldier." I'm certain he wouldn't make any moves that he was advised not to make - that applies to any person in America who values their employment. I am just generally confused as to what you mean by "loyal footsoldier." Will he not spend overslot for draft picks? If that's what the man upstairs wants, then what choice does he have? I just seriously don't understand.

It'll come. I think the Sox at this point are still cleaning up their mess a bit and they're waiting for the rest of it to be cleaned up too, as I seem to recall reading that there's a lot of shady stuff going on down there. They're building ties within though and I think within the next 5 years you'll see them relevant in the Dominican again. And, as far as I'm aware, they're one of the few teams in Brazil. The first two have been relative busts - not that there was any expectation on them to begin with - but Rienzo looks like a good prospect.

Are you somehow suggesting that a GM can't make a bad move? There were a lot of reasons to like both the Teahen trade and resigning. There were also a lot of reasons to hate it. Those that hated it have been justified. The same can be said for the Adam Dunn signing as well as pretty much the entirety of the 2005 offseason. Much of GMing is a guessing game.

As for the reasons, I've listed the ones I did already. Here's this too.

To get away from small ball, that means no more Guillen.

Is it possible for Hahn to co-exist with Guillen? If Ozzie "wins" out and KW is kicked upstairs like the Cubs did with McPhail, what reason is there to hope/believe things would be any different until at least after 2012?

Juan Pierre will be gone, but we don't have anything approximating a replacement as a leadoff hitter in the minor leagues...just can't imagine them going into next year with Lillibridge, Ramirez or Rios leading off.

It's equally difficult to believe they really view De Aza as a legit replacement for Pierre. With Viciedo and Quentin seemingly locked in at the corners, and Konerko/Dunn, where is the lead-off hitter going to come from?

Beckham?

Sure, if Dunn and Rios were approximating something resembling "doing their jobs," you could get away with Alexei leading off probably. This whole situation is just one big mess. For God's sakes, I hope they don't re-sign Pierre.

WELL, AFTER READING ALL THAT INFORMATION ON HAHN, THERE'S ABOUT A 1-2% chance he doesn't take the White Sox job, and that's if KW is fired and not kicked upstairs.

Odds of KW being fired, 0.00%.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 30, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
That was my first thought.

You have Marquez taking Harrell's spot. Bruney is either taking Sale's spot (very unlikely, as that's basically throwing in the towel for this year) or he's going into the pen as we go from a 6 man to a 5 man rotation with one of the starters no longer being on the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
You have Marquez taking Harrell's spot. Bruney is either taking Sale's spot (very unlikely, as that's basically throwing in the towel for this year) or he's going into the pen as we go from a 6 man to a 5 man rotation with one of the starters no longer being on the roster.

Well it sure as hell isn't going to be Danks getting dealt then.