2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This quote is why players love playing for Ozzie Guillen and why fans IMO should appreciate Ozzie.

He has common sense as related in tonight's AP game story:

"“For some reason, the last couple of years in April, Juan struggled on the field, offensively and defensively,” Guillen said. “I keep saying, ’Never give up on Juan.’ Never will. The guy works hard, he shows up everyday to win. He is going to be in the lineup no matter what and that’s what he’s done throughout his career.”

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 05:37 AM)
Juan Pierre's been struggling for 7 years.

Juan Pierre is not one of my favorites, but he does deserve to be in the big leagues the last 7 years.

It's not his fault the White Sox acquired him as a starting outfielder.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
1. Win. Or die trying.

4. Knowing what's coming and hitting what's coming- not the same thing.

5. Every pitch is full count. Every inning, the ninth. Every game, game seven.

6. The best seat in the house is often determined by the best players in the house.

7. Grinder ball requires speed, defense, and discipline. And immigration.

10. Only one statistic matters: W

11. When jumping on the White Sox bandwagon, do not, I repeat DO NOT, keep your hands and arms inside the wagon at any time.

21. Thieves will be punished. Swiftly, harshly and repeatedly.

22. When attending a Chicago White Sox game, don't blink.

23. When all is said and done, make sure you "done" more than you said.

25. A good outfielder doesn't see the wall. He tastes it.

26. Your hitting should serve as a warning. To low flying aircraft.

27. Be a highlight reel.

28. Always give fans something they can take away from the game. Like the other team's pride.

30. Good enough, isn't.

33. The best way to get out of a hole is to dig deeper.

37. Never walk. Even when you walk.

38 You're either counted on or counted out.

39. Be a man. Play like a boy.

43. Step up to the plate even if you're not stepping up to the plate.

44. There is more to baseball than peanuts and cracker jacks.

45. The best defense is a good win.

46. Respect the past, people that are shoeless, and anyone named Joe.

47. Flying does not make you superman. Getting up and making the throw to first for the force out, now that makes you Superman.

54. If you can't take the heat get out of the batter's box.

55. It's called stepping up to the plate for a reason.

58. Don't throw back a home run ball.

61. There is no "I" in team. But there is one in quit.

65. Do not sit in the leftfield bleachers, home to Scott Podsednik.

66. There is nothing loveable about losing.

73. When bringing the family to a White Sox game know your limits.

74. Believe in magic. Not magic numbers.

78. Ixnay on talkin' about the ayoffsplay

88. Make history, history.

96. Expect the unexpected at U.S. Cellular field, home of the White Sox.

98. Batters should fear your fastball. Not because it can get them out. Because it can knock them out.

162. Crying in baseball is acceptable only if champagne burns your eyes.

174. Hoist the city up on your shoulders. They'll return the favor.

Are those the real grinder rules, or whatever they are called? Because if so, I love #46

Rios gets the callout

Making outs or getting mad over making outs won't ever cause White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen to be angry. Bad at-bats and bad body language will get his attention.

Alex Rios fell into that second category, with Guillen talking to his center fielder about Friday's body language before Saturday's game. Guillen also was somewhat bothered by Rios throwing down a Gatorade container in the dugout after grounding out with the bases loaded in the first inning on Friday.

"The body language he had last night wasn't the best one for us," said Guillen of Rios, who entered Saturday hitting .202. "Rios is a tremendous ballplayer. He can contribute a lot. And we discussed it in a nice way."

As a former player, Guillen understands frustration. He just doesn't want Rios to hurt himself or anyone else during instant reaction to struggles.

"We promise each other it's the last time we'll talk about it," Guillen said. "I know he's going to go about his game the right way."

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Maybe if we put him on waivers, an idiot GM will claim him!

Isn't KW the idiot GM? Rios, Peavey,Jackson,etc. Do the rest of MLB's Gm's play him for a fool or what?

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
You forgot Erstad, Griffey, Kotsay, unThome, MacDougal, Teahen, the 2007 bullpen experiment, the list goes on and on....

As fathom always says, thank the devil they took advantage of their chance in '05. Looking back now, it's hard to believe a team under this management/coaching staff pulled off a World Series title.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
As fathom always says, thank the devil they took advantage of their chance in '05. Looking back now, it's hard to believe a team under this management/coaching staff pulled off a World Series title.

I almost can't wait for KW and Ozzie to be gone to hear what you have to say about the next group. JR will not hire a GM or manager with much experience. Past records with both the Sox and Bulls he prefers to find rookies and see how they do.

That will be some interesting reading.

This quote is why players love playing for Ozzie Guillen and why fans IMO should appreciate Ozzie.

He has common sense as related in tonight's AP game story:

"“For some reason, the last couple of years in April, Juan struggled on the field, offensively and defensively,” Guillen said. “I keep saying, ’Never give up on Juan.’ Never will. The guy works hard, he shows up everyday to win. He is going to be in the lineup no matter what and that’s what he’s done throughout his career.”

Yeah, he has so much common sense he doesn't call to walk Miguel Cabrera (or Justin Morneau if we wanna go back far enough) in the 9th inning with the game on the line with 2 outs and 2 bases open. How about that Linebrink clusterf*** against the Cubs a couple of years ago? But nevermind, I could fill an entire book with the idiotic decisions Ozzie makes on a regular basis.

Basically, you're crediting Ozzie for standing by a guy simply for "playing hard and giving it his all," which basically means you supported his use of Darrin Erstad, Dewayne Wise and others. As usual you display a lack of rudimentary understanding.

If there's one thing Ozzie DOESN'T have, it's common sense. Sorry to contradict you, but... you're wrong. What new.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:37 AM)
Yeah, he has so much common sense he doesn't call to walk Miguel Cabrera (or Justin Morneau if we wanna go back far enough) in the 9th inning with the game on the line with 2 outs and 2 bases open. How about that Linebrink clusterf*** against the Cubs a couple of years ago? But nevermind, I could fill an entire book with the idiotic decisions Ozzie makes on a regular basis.

Basically, you're crediting Ozzie for standing by a guy simply for "playing hard and giving it his all," which basically means you supported his use of Darrin Erstad, Dewayne Wise and others. As usual you display a lack of rudimentary understanding.

If there's one thing Ozzie DOESN'T have, it's common sense. Sorry to contradict you, but... you're wrong. What new.

Thanks for the unkind words.

I just watched the highlights of our loss today and got really mad. If we can't beat that hack of a starter, who had nothing, at home, we got no chance. God our offense sucked against that Penny who was grooving meatball after meatball.

Beckham's homer was what that guy shoulda got all five innings long.

My god we suck against Detroit and other Central division teams not named Cleveland.

Please fire some people, demote some people, start the rebuilding.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)

A little cherry picking there. Sounds like the players should be accountable in those situations.

Thanks for the unkind words.

I just watched the highlights of our loss today and got really mad. If we can't beat that hack of a starter, who had nothing, at home, we got no chance. God our offense sucked against that Penny who was grooving meatball after meatball.

Beckham's homer was what that guy shoulda got all five innings long.

My god we suck against Detroit and other Central division teams not named Cleveland.

Please fire some people, demote some people, start the rebuilding.

Aren't you used to it by now?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be holding players accountable, but our manager has no clue, either. Your manager is supposed to put you in the best position to win (fathom has gone back to this point constantly over the years), and Ozzie continuously fails to do that... because he doesn't know how to make the best decision for so many scenarios. Hell, we saw it as early as 06 with leaving Pods in to play LF/CF in the 9th instead of Anderson... and it resulted in losses. Seems like you and others are saying it's fair to blame the players for failing but not the manager for not picking the correct players/situations. That's silly and I see it going on way to much around here.

Also, I'd really appreciate a response on the Erstad/Wise/etc. point. Do you have one? If not, you're basically contradicting yourself with the logic you're using.

A little cherry picking there. Sounds like the players should be accountable in those situations.

As said again, earlier... it's so easy to say it's the players' fault for screwing up but never the manager's fault when *insert random player here* shoulda never been out there or *insert player's name here* should have never been pitched to or a variety of other common sense scenarios this man has no clue about. I don't get why so many people here give free passes to the coaches for being clueless; if you're gonna blame the players for their f***-ups, blame management for theirs, too. Why do they get so much leeway? Why the f*** does get free passes by so many of you when he makes decisions someone who knows very little about baseball coulda have made better? But nvm, the response will likely be, "Well, name someone better??? Scioscia? LaRussa? Lolzorz!!!"

Edited by TheBigHurt