2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:10 AM)
Aren't you used to it by now?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be holding players accountable, but our manager has no clue, either. Your manager is supposed to put you in the best position to win (fathom has gone back to this point constantly over the years), and Ozzie continuously fails to do that... because he doesn't know how to make the best decision for so many scenarios. Hell, we saw it as early as 06 with leaving Pods in to play LF/CF in the 9th instead of Anderson... and it resulted in losses. Seems like you and others are saying it's fair to blame the players for failing but not the manager for not picking the correct players/situations. That's silly and I see it going on way to much around here.

Also, I'd really appreciate a response on the Erstad/Wise/etc. point. Do you have one? If not, you're basically contradicting yourself with the logic you're using.

As said again, earlier... it's so easy to say it's the players' fault for screwing up but never the manager's fault when *insert random player here* shoulda never been out there or *insert player's name here* should have never been pitched to or a variety of other common sense scenarios this man has no clue about. I don't get why so many people here give free passes to the coaches for being clueless; if you're gonna blame the players for their f***-ups, blame management for theirs, too. Why do they get so much leeway? Why the f*** does get free passes by so many of you when he makes decisions someone who knows very little about baseball coulda have made better? But nvm, the response will likely be, "Well, name someone better??? Scioscia? LaRussa? Lolzorz!!!"

Haha, exactly. And the reason that he gets a free pass is the World Series. He will have a lifelong pass with many due to that.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Basically, you're crediting Ozzie for standing by a guy simply for "playing hard and giving it his all," which basically means you supported his use of Darrin Erstad, Dewayne Wise and others. As usual you display a lack of rudimentary understanding.

Erstad and Wise aren't the talents of Rios and Dunn. Nor the salaries.

I can't remember the specifics of either except Wise "earned the job" over somebody like Anderson and everybody was mostly mad cause he bat so high in the order.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
@MDGonzales

Sox announce Robin Ventura to join player development dept. in special advisor role. Great hire.

I wish he could immediately be penciled in the lineup.

Yuk yuk (add curley audio)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 04:14 AM)
Everybody should get trophies! They're all trying so hard.

You know something I think they are trying hard. Ozzie is a pretty good manager and he has a pretty decent pitching staff. The team is struggling on the field no doubt, but I think executions of all the usual suspects is a bit crazy. We are all frustrated but I am positive no more frustarted then Ozzie and team. We have managed to keep to within 7 games of Cleveland. We have 100 games left. We can still make the run

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
You know something I think they are trying hard. Ozzie is a pretty good manager and he has a pretty decent pitching staff. The team is struggling on the field no doubt, but I think executions of all the usual suspects is a bit crazy. We are all frustrated but I am positive no more frustarted then Ozzie and team. We have managed to keep to within 7 games of Cleveland. We have 100 games left. We can still make the run

Good! That's all we can ask for in the end. As long as they try their best and have fun out there, I'll be happy.

Edited by Milkman delivers

The Sox have shaved 5.0 games off the 1st place lead in 4 weeks, they are 7-3 in their last 10 games at home, the offense is solid, the bullpen is steady and every thread, article, interview and call into a post-game show is ADAM DUNN and ALEX RIOS.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 04:25 AM)
The Sox have shaved 5.0 games off the 1st place lead in 4 weeks, they are 7-3 in their last 10 games at home, the offense is solid, the bullpen is steady and every thread, article, interview and call into a post-game show is ADAM DUNN and ALEX RIOS.

Cmon, shaved games off the lead?? The team has a season high win streak of four games. The team has been OK of late. We're all big boys/girls and this team has done very little to crow about.

If Dunn and Rios were earning half their paychecks we might be 10 over .500 and if we were 10 over .500 we'd all be happy.

And yes, thank goodness for Paulie and Sergio.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Cmon, shaved games off the lead?? The team has a season high win streak of four games. The team has been OK of late. We're all big boys/girls and this team has done very little to crow about.

If Dunn and Rios were earning half their paychecks we might be 10 over .500 and if we were 10 over .500 we'd all be happy.

And yes, thank goodness for Paulie and Sergio.

So you want to complain when they looked dead in the water, and now you STILL wanna complain about it when we are making ground and catching up to Cleveland??

You would figure that when they started turning it around people would be more inclined to actually start seeing a positive to the season, but it appears some people just want to b**** for the hell of it.. I can think of about 4 of you guys off the top of my head.. give it a rest already they've cut their deficit in HALF in what, a 4 week stretch?

First it was there's no way they are gonna contend for the division after their start.. oops.. and then it was Cleveland got off to way too good of a start.. oops again..

Whats the point of being a debbie downer when they are actually playing good baseball lately? I don't get it.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)
So you want to complain when they looked dead in the water, and now you STILL wanna complain about it when we are making ground and catching up to Cleveland??

You would figure that when they started turning it around people would be more inclined to actually start seeing a positive to the season, but it appears some people just want to b**** for the hell of it.. I can think of about 4 of you guys off the top of my head.. give it a rest already they've cut their deficit in HALF in what, a 4 week stretch?

First it was there's no way they are gonna contend for the division after their start.. oops.. and then it was Cleveland got off to way too good of a start.. oops again..

Whats the point of being a debbie downer when they are actually playing good baseball lately? I don't get it.

Coming from a glass half empty guy when it comes to sports, this is an excellent post.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)

Here is me agreeing with TRU>

On June 8th, last year (the Sox didn't play on June 7th last year), they were 25-33, Williams and Guillen were trying to hang each other, and Mark Kotsay was in a White Sox uniform.

On June 7th (the Sox DO play on June 7th this year), they are 29-33, Williams and Guillen are not (publicly) trying to hang each other, and Mark Kotsay gained weight, changed his name to Adam Dunn, signed a $56 million deal, and finally got a hit off of a f***ing left handed pitcher.

Things ain't looking too f***ing bad, eh??

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
I feel a lot better chasing the Tigers and Indians of this year, than the Twins of last year.

Mostly because the Tigers have proven in the past to be second half duds (though of course, that was without Victor Martinez) and the Indians are already starting to feel some regression.

I still worry about the Twins. Just when you stick a knife in them, they win 5 straight against opponents in the Central. It should be literally impossible for that team, as currently constructed, to win 5 straight games. I think a good college team could beat them. They will get healthy, and it could all be at the same time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Mostly because the Tigers have proven in the past to be second half duds (though of course, that was without Victor Martinez) and the Indians are already starting to feel some regression.

I still worry about the Twins. Just when you stick a knife in them, they win 5 straight against opponents in the Central. It should be literally impossible for that team, as currently constructed, to win 5 straight games. I think a good college team could beat them. They will get healthy, and it could all be at the same time.

I'm glad I am not the only one who still has that reflex.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I'm glad I am not the only one who still has that reflex.

I don't know that they have the pitching depth to do it, and they may have dug a hole too deep (because damn near 20 games under .500 is RIDICULOUS). All I can think of is 2006. Then, they were 12.5 back on May 27th in 2006 compared to 16.5 back on June 1st this year. They also aren't facing the two best teams in the league - one of them legitimately the best team in the league (and that team somehow missed the playoffs...) - ahead of them this year. 87 games might win the division this year, and that is certainly within grasp of any team in the Central right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I feel a lot better chasing the Tigers and Indians of this year, than the Twins of last year.

If we feel bad think of how the twins must feel. But, the Twins are starting to play better too. The way the season has gone is one reason I don't pay much attention to what the so called baseball experts say about things early in spring training. It is a long haul to that final 162nd game of the season