2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Omar has 86 AB this year and 391 last year. Keep those numbers in perspective.

I do realize the at bat discrepancy, but I would counter to say if he played as much as Beckham he would hit about .150. He'd run out of gas.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I do realize the at bat discrepancy, but I would counter to say if he played as much as Beckham he would hit about .150. He'd run out of gas.

Beckham had 444 at bats last year. Vizquel had 344.

If Vizquel went 0 for that additional 100 at bats last year, he'd still have hit .213.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)

Except that over the last two years the more Omar has played the better his numbers have been, not worse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
Except that over the last two years the more Omar has played the better his numbers have been, not worse.

If you guys think Omar is the greatest, fine.

I still say he's a black hole in the lineup. Black hole might be too strong a word, but any team starting Omar Vizquel regularly is a team in a world of hurt.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

I still say he's a black hole in the lineup. Black hole might be too strong a word, but any team starting Omar Vizquel regularly is a team in a world of hurt.

No one is saying he is the greatest, can you please try to keep things in perspective and not always go to extremes and absolutes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Oh please.

Gordon has some pop in his bat and is a threat at the plate.

Omar has 7 RBI this year, 30 last year, hits .275-280 which is fabulous for a guy that old.

But you don't think he's a black hole? He strikes fear in any pitcher alive??

Omar's slugging % is two points higher than Beckham's this year.

Do you think Beckham strikes fear in any pitcher? I know he's young with tons of potential and Omar is on his last legs, but Omar is still a contributing professional hitter (see 2-run triple off of Felix), while Beckham still lacks the consistency to be considered a legitimate threat everytime he steps to the plate. I'm not saying I'd rather have Vizquel play, but to consider Beckham a real hitter, while Vizquel a black hole is a bit out there IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

You're at least partially right, Vizquel actually did seem gassed towards the end of May when Ozzie had spent the better part of the month benching Morel for him.

But yeah, as others have noted, have some perspective. "It's not a good idea to play him every day" is not equal to "it's a terrible thing for him to play 3 days a week".

I got in this trouble here by saying that lineup isn't so hot cause of the black hole in the lineup and I included Omar and not Beckham.

I like Omar but I still think he's close to my description. I'm not trying to bag on Omar.

I'm just responding to that one post about the lineup and now I'm an Omar hater getting flamed for that. It's not like I started a thread saying, 'Dump Omar; Beckham is a god'

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
I got in this trouble here by saying that lineup isn't so hot cause of the black hole in the lineup and I included Omar and not Beckham.

I like Omar but I still think he's close to my description. I'm not trying to bag on Omar.

I'm just responding to that one post about the lineup and now I'm an Omar hater getting flamed for that. It's not like I started a thread saying, 'Dump Omar; Beckham is a god'

I think you take people arguing your weird points the wrong way. It's a message board. People aren't flaming you and they aren't pissed. You are the king of extremes. If people ride Pierre, you ask why they don't ride Adam Dunn and Alex Rios despite some of the lengthiest non-trade rumor threads in Pale Hose Talk being dedicated to those very subjects.

Take a chill pill and try to enjoy yourself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
SI prints an article about how the cutter has helped pitchers confuse hitters over the last few years. Zero mention of Mark Buehrle at all.

8 consecutive quality starts for 56.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
FanGraphs did a study on the biggest rivalry in baseball based on Google results (flawed, but something).

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/w...es-in-baseball/

Rivalries12.png

Apparently, White Sox-Tigers is the 7th best rivalry in baseball, followed by Sox-Cubs and Sox-Twins. You'd think it's the other way around.

That was a really poorly done article.