2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
So... why not pinch hit for Pierre with two on and two outs in the 9th...?

At this point, I'm more inclined to question a PROPER managerial decision. Whoever made that call in the 9th tonight was wrong, but it's what I expect at this point since the wrong decision is what is made the majority of the time.

Sooo, uhhhhhh.....where is Jerry Owens? Atleast he brings...athleticism?

The fact that Viciedo is not on the major league team shows a direct correspondence to the incompetency of the manager in managing a team, which shows a direct correspondence to the incompetency of the GM in not either firing the manager or having his orders be followed, and/or a correspondence to the managing partner having a total incompetency as to what the f*** is going on with his GM and manager.

I think there's a bit of all 3 going on.

I think "bit" is the wrong term.

I think there's A LOT of all 3 going on here.

You can add, at this point, probably 2 wins by DFAing Juan Pierre and adding Viciedo. If he's Carlos Lee in left field, then that's an improvement. Something needs to be done, and until it is, this team is going to continue to mire in mediocrity. Having the worst hitter in the entire major leagues continue to get the most plate appearances of anybody on your roster is like trying to build a car out of banana peels and plastic,

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
Sooo, uhhhhhh.....where is Jerry Owens? Atleast he brings...athleticism?

The fact that Viciedo is not on the major league team shows a direct correspondence to the incompetency of the manager in managing a team, which shows a direct correspondence to the incompetency of the GM in not either firing the manager or having his orders be followed, and/or a correspondence to the managing partner having a total incompetency as to what the f*** is going on with his GM and manager.

I think there's a bit of all 3 going on.

I think "bit" is the wrong term.

I think there's A LOT of all 3 going on here.

You can add, at this point, probably 2 wins by DFAing Juan Pierre and adding Viciedo. If he's Carlos Lee in left field, then that's an improvement. Something needs to be done, and until it is, this team is going to continue to mire in mediocrity. Having the worst hitter in the entire major leagues continue to get the most plate appearances of anybody on your roster is like trying to build a car out of banana peels and plastic,

Don't forget the duct tape, MacGuyver.

In all seriousness, you could make a serious case that we'd be better off with either Brian Anderson (defensively) or DeWayne Wise (for some pop and the same amount of speed on the basepaths, maybe 5-7 fewer steals but less caught stealings and a better arm) in LF, three years after their White Sox shelf lives expired.

It's almost maddening. One year it's the Thome/Kotsay thing. This year, there's another insane personnel decision that's clouding the entire season. Actually, two. Because the combination of Thornton (when he wasn't suited or prepared to be closer) and Pierre defensively led directly to that 4-18 streak and season-long purgatory, seemingly.

I suppose someone will argue that the only reason we're still in this thing is Santos and Humber, and give credit to KW. Which will then lead back to the retort, what about Peavy/Beckham/Dunn/Rios/Pierre/Teahen/Linebrink/AJ?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
Don't forget the duct tape, MacGuyver.

In all seriousness, you could make a serious case that we'd be better off with either Brian Anderson (defensively) or DeWayne Wise (for some pop and the same amount of speed on the basepaths, maybe 5-7 fewer steals but less caught stealings and a better arm) in LF, three years after their White Sox shelf lives expired.

It's almost maddening. One year it's the Thome/Kotsay thing. This year, there's another insane personnel decision that's clouding the entire season. Actually, two. Because the combination of Thornton (when he wasn't suited or prepared to be closer) and Pierre defensively led directly to that 4-18 streak and season-long purgatory, seemingly.

I suppose someone will argue that the only reason we're still in this thing is Santos and Humber, and give credit to KW. Which will then lead back to the retort, what about Peavy/Beckham/Dunn/Rios/Pierre/Teahen/Linebrink/AJ?

Thornton is revisionist history. People had been trying to make him the closer for a couple of years now. The vast majority of people thought that was a good move. It is nothing like the Pierre thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Thornton is revisionist history. People had been trying to make him the closer for a couple of years now. The vast majority of people thought that was a good move. It is nothing like the Pierre thing.

And the problem with Thornton wasn't being moved to the closer's role anyway, it's that he suddenly couldn't strike anyone out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)

Obviously the lefty/righty matchup is more important then having a player with the power to hit a tying homer with 2 on, 2 outs, against one of the toughest pitchers to get a hit against in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
And the problem with Thornton wasn't being moved to the closer's role anyway, it's that he suddenly couldn't strike anyone out.

He still struck out 9 per 9. He just couldn't throw enough strikes to be effective.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)

Because this team has to be one of the worst with regards to in-game managing. I'm confident Watson the computer would make better decisions.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Because this team has to be one of the worst with regards to in-game managing. I'm confident Watson the computer would make better decisions.

Steve the Marketing Professional could right this ship.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
maybe the reason the White Sox have won three games all year in which they were trailing after 6 innings may have something to do with the manager?

Is that unusual?

I feel like when teams are down after 6, they lose like 90%+ of the time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
No clue but it'd be an interesting stat to find.

ESPN's mobile app shows the "Odds of winning" for each team during the game.

Last night in about the 3rd inning the Sox were up 2-0, and it showed the Sox with an 80% chance of winning the game.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 04:37 AM)
If Konerko hits another HR before he strikes out again, he will have just many HR as K's in June (11).

When does this week's player of the week start? Is it Sunday or Monday? Based on the fact that he's homered in 5 straight he's kinda getting that one in hand.

I think what's most alarming is that in all our blown saves, we've only recovered to win maybe one of those games.

I don't know the exact numbers, but a lot of blown saves end up in tie games...I'd guess most teams win 30-35-40% of the time they blow one.

The White Sox, not so much. Goes with the 3 comebacks in late innings (I think against KC and Seattle).

Edited by caulfield12