2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Someone may have mentioned this before, but the Pirates may be buyers this year. I wonder if with it being so long since they were in contention that they may overpay for some players. I know the Sox may not be buyers or sellers, but they could be an interesting trade partner.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Someone may have mentioned this before, but the Pirates may be buyers this year. I wonder if with it being so long since they were in contention that they may overpay for some players. I know the Sox may not be buyers or sellers, but they could be an interesting trade partner.

I had the same reaction last time it was brought up...if the Pirates legitimately overpay for anyone, their GM ought to be fired. Even after bringing them into a pennant race.

They can be buyers, but they need to be bottom of the barrel buyers. They have a $50 million total team salary. One NL Central pennant doesn't rebuild that franchise; 5+ years of winning might. They can't give away someone who in 2 or 3 years will turn into one of the league's top prospects, they can't give away someone who will be an average MLB player for 4-5 years at low cost. They need those guys desperatelyl.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Edwin Jackson would look really good at the front of their rotation!

Scary thing is...I'm not quite sure which guy he'd actually bump from their rotation. They have 4 guys with an ERA of 4.04 or below, Jackson comes in at 3.97 (albiet, AL/NL switch noted there). The only guy in teh Pirates rotation with a losing record is Maholm, who comes in with an ERA of 3.04.

They have a couple guys who haven't given them enough innings quite yet, I'd assume there was an injury or two, but swapping out one of their starters and replacing them with Jackson might be almost a wash, unless they lose a starter to injury or someone blows up from their staff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Scary thing is...I'm not quite sure which guy he'd actually bump from their rotation. They have 4 guys with an ERA of 4.04 or below, Jackson comes in at 3.97 (albiet, AL/NL switch noted there). The only guy in teh Pirates rotation with a losing record is Maholm, who comes in with an ERA of 3.04.

They have a couple guys who haven't given them enough innings quite yet, I'd assume there was an injury or two, but swapping out one of their starters and replacing them with Jackson might be almost a wash, unless they lose a starter to injury or someone blows up from their staff.

That was a joke. Hence the "!"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
That was a joke. Hence the "!"

Prior to that joke, I'd never sat down and actually looked at the numbers the Pirates rotation was putting up this year. I knew Karstens was going nuts but beyond that I didn't know what they had, so I actually found replying to be a worth while exercise.

If Jackson had started the season there it probably would have helped their rotation, they've thrown the 2nd fewest innings out of their starters in the NL, but at this point in the season it seems like they have sorta lined things up.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
Yikes. We could be in sole possession of 4th place after tonight's action.

Yeah. That's what happens when Minnie takes care of teams like KC.

Can you believe we are about the only team KC can win a series against?

They ain't beating anybody the last six weeks, cept the Sox.

Davies vs. Mark is a huge mismatch in our favor, but are we gonna win?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Yeah. That's what happens when Minnie takes care of teams like KC.

Can you believe we are about the only team KC can win a series against?

They ain't beating anybody the last six weeks, cept the Sox.Davies vs. Mark is a huge mismatch in our favor, but are we gonna win?

Don't forget about the Cubs!!! :lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Yikes. We could be in sole possession of 4th place after tonight's action.

Or they could always remain in sole possession of 3rd place, putting more distance between them and the 4th place team, who shall remain nameless, to solidify this as a 3 team race.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Headed to Cleveland this weekend to catch Saturday/Sunday's games. Sitting in the upper deck Saturday and 7 rows behind the Sox dugout on Sunday. Can't wait! It'd be nice if we were a .500 team looking to go above by weekend's end...

I'm thinking about heading out there as well. It's a 5 hour drive for me but I'll wait till Friday to make a decision on this

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
Am I the only one wanting to keep Quentin around if we're gonna contend this year? I want Viciedo up as much as the next guy but there is always a chance he comes and struggles too.

Of course we want Quentin aroudn if we're contending this year (or Hell, next year).

We're just a 2 game losing streak from pulling the plug on this year, and he's a guy other teams would want.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Of course we want Quentin aroudn if we're contending this year (or Hell, next year).

We're just a 2 game losing streak from pulling the plug on this year, and he's a guy other teams would want.

I don't know why we'd want to dump Quentin.

He actually can hit sometimes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)

Because that's why he'll get paid a lot starting in 2013, and that's why other teams will be interested in trading for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
Because that's why he'll get paid a lot starting in 2013, and that's why other teams will be interested in trading for him.

What do we expect to get for him?

Losing him will make our offense even worse this year and next.

p.s. Anybody else just getting bored of "waiting for the team to get hot" and waiting for all the other teams in the Central to suddenly lose 10 in a row so we can win the division by one game, which I guess is KW's goal?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)

2 game? No way. I doubt they cut the cord if they are 7 back. Though difficult, they can make that up if they play pretty well down the stretch.

But 5 in a row or something like 8 of 10? That would see a few players leaving. They'd almost certainly be around 9-12 games back then with anywhere from 3-8 fewer games to make that up. That takes them from having to play pretty well to having to play about .700 (or better) the rest of the way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)

Because they can replace him with Viciedo and not skip a beat [hopefully]. Using Carlos to get more in return than any other player on roster.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:53 AM)
2 game? No way. I doubt they cut the cord if they are 7 back. Though difficult, they can make that up if they play pretty well down the stretch.

With the salary committment this year and the inconsistent play...yeah, I bet KW cuts the cord if he's 7 back on July 28.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)

I think it would be in the best interest to trade Quentin now while he still has value, whether we are competing or not.

I mentioned this in a different thread a while back, but outside of the injury concerns and terribly streaky offensive output, his defense leaves a lot to be desired and he's not getting any younger or cheaper.

If we can get a good young pitcher back in return, like the speculated Beachy trade, at least I think, is a slam dunk for the Sox.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
p.s. Anybody else just getting bored of "waiting for the team to get hot" and waiting for all the other teams in the Central to suddenly lose 10 in a row so we can win the division by one game, which I guess is KW's goal?

Yes