2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
...........And, he's only 19.

A high upside high schooler in the first round?! That's not how the White Sox roll. Trout and Smoak or Mitchell and Beckham, that's an easy call.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
A high upside high schooler in the first round?! That's not how the White Sox roll. Trout and Smoak or Mitchell and Beckham, that's an easy call.

Really JPN?

So, the Gold Glove caliber defense and slightly under 2B average offense of Gordon Beckham is worse than the .002 BA points higher Smoak who plays at an offensive position.

Yes, Gordon is an easy call.

The Trout pick doesn't really bother me that much. A lot of teams missed on Trout not just the Sox. Trout was real raw and everything just clicked for him after being drafted. Mitchell was on the way to being a real good baseball player before getting hurt.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Really JPN?

So, the Gold Glove caliber defense and slightly under 2B average offense of Gordon Beckham is worse than the .002 BA points higher Smoak who plays at an offensive position.

To JPN's credit, I know he wanted Smoak. Smoak just recently broke out of an Adam Dunn-like 1/32 funk. So that obviously brought his numbers down. Before that he was performing admirably. I'd say he's a better 'prospect' than Beckham at this point. More power, plate discipline, switch hitter.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
The Trout pick doesn't really bother me that much. A lot of teams missed on Trout not just the Sox. Trout was real raw and everything just clicked for him after being drafted. Mitchell was on the way to being a real good baseball player before getting hurt.

I don't like the "a lot of teams passed up on" X player excuse. Every team has different needs, philosophies, budget, etc. The White Sox don't get to play that card considering their draft history over the last decade.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)

I was really high on Trout in that draft and IIRC he was my guy who I wanted the Sox to draft. That said, I had zero problem with the Mitchell pick. And no one knew Trout would turn into arguably the best prospect in baseball.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Really JPN?

If you had Smoak, you don't waste the dollars on Dunn. I like Beckham, I just wouldn't take him over Smoak.

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Andre Rienzo to DL

Brandon Kloess to Bham

Chris Bassitt to Winston-Salem

Somebody might move up from B'ham to Charlotte to fill Harrell's spot.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Somebody might move up from B'ham to Charlotte to fill Harrell's spot.

DOYLE!!!!! Let's hope. Though he was just moved up to AA not to long ago, so I don't think that would happen. More likely Leesman.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
If you had Smoak, you don't waste the dollars on Dunn. I like Beckham, I just wouldn't take him over Smoak.

Excellent point. And the hindsight police can save it. We're fans. What we say or think doesn't mean a god damn thing. The people getting paid to select the best possible talent year after year are the ones that need to be, good or bad, held accountable. Or else what are you paying them for? If Trout becomes a star and Mitchell becomes the left-handed version of Josh Fields then they, as a group, failed.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Andre Rienzo to DL

I wonder how serious it is. He left after one inning the other night.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
I was really high on Trout in that draft and IIRC he was my guy who I wanted the Sox to draft. That said, I had zero problem with the Mitchell pick. And no one knew Trout would turn into arguably the best prospect in baseball.

And you know I was right there with you. I was "meh" on the Mitchell pick all the way, but I LOVED the Beckham and Sale picks at the time. Still do if the sox were to have a do-over.

I'll bite. I LOVED the Mitchell pick, esp seeing some LSU baseball games. It was easy to love Mitchell's game and just wondering WHAT IF this or WHAT IF that. Yeah he was raw when selected but there was no denying the athleticism. It's easy to get all caught up in that.

I hope Mitchell develops into something, I really *sighing* do.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
How dare you! Everyone knew Mitchell was going to have a devastating injury and that Mike Trout would excell exponentially in his career. Kenny just refused to ignore the obvious future ankle injury.

I definitely wanted Smoak over Beckham, that being said Beckham was hardly a bad pick and overall was happy with it. I had no problem with the Mitchell pick but I definitely was upset about passing on Scheppers twice. Sale was clearly an awesome pick and have no issues with it as well.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
Question about Dayan's newly abundant walks: has he actually gotten that much more patient or do AAA pitchers just not want to pitch to him?

It's probably both. The difference between Dayan and most hitters is that his hitting zone is bigger than the strike zone. He can hit a lot of balls and hard (that's where the Vlad Guerrero comps come from). So for him to be walking the pitches have to be pretty far out of the zone, but he's also taking those pitches. Don't expect him to walk in the Majors until he starts hitting .300 for an extended period and shows he is a dangerous hitter.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)

If we have Smoak, we also probably don't have Paulie and have Chris Getz or Chone Figgins at 2nd.

It's probably both. The difference between Dayan and most hitters is that his hitting zone is bigger than the strike zone. He can hit a lot of balls and hard (that's where the Vlad Guerrero comps come from). So for him to be walking the pitches have to be pretty far out of the zone, but he's also taking those pitches. Don't expect him to walk in the Majors until he starts hitting .300 for an extended period and shows he is a dangerous hitter.

I got a little carried away on my comp thread but this is probably closer to the truth Dan. A Vlad lite would be awesome. But he has to learn to hit consistantly in the dominant league and keep the plate discipline growing.

I happened to be taking my family on a road trip and Thursday night we stopped in Little Rock AK and watched the AK Travelers play, Mike Trout lead off and looked good, just so happened he was called up that night. It was cool to see, he is going to be a stud, remember how hyped we were at the time for the Mitchell pick.........

Hey Layel, do you think with Flowers moving up that they'll activate Ricks for an extended period of time to back up Lucy? Or, do you share my opinion that they'll move Phegley up to Charlotte since B'ham is carrying three catchers right now? Or maybe move Price up to back up Lucy? Phegley was off tonight, for what it's worth.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Hey Layel, do you think with Flowers moving up that they'll activate Ricks for an extended period of time to back up Lucy? Or, do you share my opinion that they'll move Phegley up to Charlotte since B'ham is carrying three catchers right now? Or maybe move Price up to back up Lucy? Phegley was off tonight, for what it's worth.

JPN,

Its going to be very interesting to see what happens over the course of the next week or so a far as catchers.

Adam Ricks was placed on the DL on the 5th of July, so he cannot get off until the 12th regardless. Charlotte will play tomorrow in Gwinett and then be off until the 14th for the All-Star break.

This will allow Ricks to play after the All-Star break, if that is what the White Sox choose to do, but he may continue his "coaching" role since he has yet to see action thus far in 2011.

The question then would be, who would the White Sox send as a back-up other than Ricks? Phegley is the most likely canidate, but would they rather him continue to start in Birmingham then play behind or split reps with Lucy? As well, if Phegley leaves then who becomes the catcher at Birgingham? Neither Price (.130/.237) nor Bour (.203/.258) have really put up the numbers wanted from a starting catcher especially at AA.

I'd go with Ricks as the 2nd Charlotte catcher after the dust clears, unless we can pick up another AA+ catcher before the trade deadline. As far as tomorrow, Price should get the nod based on AAA experience, but be returned when Ricks is off the DL.