2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
So did Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson. Strasburg is a once in a generation type talent.

But part of his talent is an 80 fastball and curveball. I have a hard time believing that curveball will be an 80 after TJS. And who knows what kind of velocity he will have after TJS. Yes, some pitchers do come back and become top-tier MLB pitchers, but some don't (Liriano, Nathan, etc.). I think the skepticism of his stuff coming back completely is valid.

Harper though is sick. Great intangibles. Out-of-this-world talent. I can't foresee a way he doesn't become at least a All-Star level player.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
But part of his talent is an 80 fastball and curveball. I have a hard time believing that curveball will be an 80 after TJS. And who knows what kind of velocity he will have after TJS. Yes, some pitchers do come back and become top-tier MLB pitchers, but some don't (Liriano, Nathan, etc.). I think the skepticism of his stuff coming back completely is valid.

Harper though is sick. Great intangibles. Out-of-this-world talent. I can't foresee a way he doesn't become at least a All-Star level player.

I would trade the entire White Sox franchise for Strasburg.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Mmmk. Good thing you don't have a job in baseball.

And when Strasburg, health permitting, is racking up CY after CY you'll change your tune. That dude is special. If he gets hurt, so be it. That's the ONLY thing that can stop him.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
And when Strasburg, health permitting, is racking up CY after CY you'll change your tune. That dude is special. If he gets hurt, so be it. That's the ONLY thing that can stop him.

Where's our Liriano?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
some don't (Liriano, Nathan, etc.).

Nathan has only been back for a month and a half so lets wait til we call his career over. In addition, Strasburg had his TJS at a young age giving him a much better chance of coming back to his old form, finally it is now the exception to the rule when a pitcher doesn't return to pre-surgery or near pre-surgery form following a TJS. It is such a common surgery these days and the doctors are so good at performing it that it's just not that big a deal.

Anyways, i think the previous poster's point was that the Nats sure got lucky to get the chance to draft two once a decade talents in back to back years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
I just had a Mike Ditka flashback.

I did too. Fair comparison too. Ricky Williams was a damn good running back, but worth all that? Ehh.

Impossible. The dude better win 5 of them to even give you an argument and I'll bet he doesn't.

Health permitting is a pretty big understood what if. Strasburg is a monstrous health risk. Even if he is an 8 WAR pitcher - I think he's probably closer to a 6-7 WAR pitcher - then we'll say the Sox system will have to produce 1 good regular and 2-3 average players or good relievers. And I think you said you'd trade the entire White Sox team too, which means that you are then without Danks, Floyd, Santos, Sale, Dunn, and whoever else you value.

That would be a very bad trade, I don't care how good Strasburg is.

Some interesting streaks going on for the month of May:

Dayan Viciedo: .418 BA, 23-55, 7 doubles, 2 HR, 19 RBI, 6/10 BB/K, .468 OBP, .655 SLG, 1.122 OPS

Justin Greene in AA: .364, 16-44, 7 doubles, 9/10 R/RBI; but...2/11 b/k. Still, the k/ab ratio has improved.

Josh Phegley in AA: .333 BA, 15-45, 4 doubles, 2 triples (!), no HRs though, 10/7 R/RBI, only has K'd 8 times, which is an improvement too.

Christian Marrero: .364 for the month of May.

Dallas McPherson is hitting .321 for May too, but...19Ks in 53 ABs. Some things never change.

Jim Gallagher...his OBP continues to climb, so far it's .391 for May.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 16, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
Some interesting streaks going on for the month of May:

Dayan Viciedo: .418 BA, 23-55, 7 doubles, 2 HR, 19 RBI, 6/10 BB/K, .468 OBP, .655 SLG, 1.122 OPS

Justin Greene in AA: .364, 16-44, 7 doubles, 9/10 R/RBI; but...2/11 b/k. Still, the k/ab ratio has improved.

Josh Phegley in AA: .333 BA, 15-45, 4 doubles, 2 triples (!), no HRs though, 10/7 R/RBI, only has K'd 8 times, which is an improvement too.

Christian Marrero: .364 for the month of May.

Dallas McPherson is hitting .321 for May too, but...19Ks in 53 ABs. Some things never change.

Jim Gallagher...his OBP continues to climb, so far it's .391 for May.

If Phegley has gotten past his health issues, he's really worth keeping an eye on.

White Sox vice chairman Einhorn will be joined by Daryl Boston as the club's representatives for this year's Draft. Boston, who currently is working in his 11th year as the organization's Minor League outfield instructor, was the inaugural White Sox top pick under the current ownership regime. Boston was taken with the seventh pick overall in 1981, and reached the Majors in 1984 with the White Sox.

The White Sox do not have a first-round pick this year, with their 23rd selection overall going to the Washington Nationals as a result of the free-agent signing of designated hitter Adam Dunn. But when the White Sox make their first pick at No. 47, in compensation round A for Arizona's signing of closer J.J. Putz, Einhorn and Boston will be introduced and make the announcement of this particular selection.

Link

Mr. Doyle, your son's been promoted to B'ham. Although I'm sure you already know. They're on a ten game road trip right now, hope he enjoys his drive to Jacksonville. I'm assuming he'll take Nevin Griffith's spot in the rotation.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Mr. Doyle, your son's been promoted to B'ham. Although I'm sure you already know. They're on a ten game road trip right now, hope he enjoys his drive to Jacksonville. I'm assuming he'll take Nevin Griffith's spot in the rotation.

Saturday, first start! Told it was a "spot start", but maybe... Flying to Jax, car-less don't you know.

Need a good start T!

(BTFW, Mr Doyle's my fathers name. "John" works fine for me.)

Edited by NHDadUmp-RI

QUOTE (NHDadUmp-RI @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Saturday, first start! Told it was a "spot start", but maybe... Flying to Jax, car-less don't you know.

Need a good start T!

(BTFW, Mr Doyle's my fathers name. "John" works fine for me.)

Wait, this is Terry Doyle's father? How cool!

Can't wait to finally have a starting pitcher to follow in B'Ham! lol, AA was so barren w/ anything good on the starting pitching end.