2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
That was a well thought out post which was totally worth my time.

Um, Ok? What did I say that was wrong? Mitchell doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. If you have to demote him then do it. He's not gonna see the Show anytime soon. Maybe a demotion is in his best interests. They started him off probably a level higher than they should've. He's failed miserably to this point. Personally, I don't give a s*** how he feels about it. Don't K at a 40% clip and you don't have to worry about getting demoted.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 10, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Um, Ok? What did I say that was wrong? Mitchell doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. If you have to demote him then do it. He's not gonna see the Show anytime soon. Maybe a demotion is in his best interests. They started him off probably a level higher than they should've. He's failed miserably to this point. Personally, I don't give a s*** how he feels about it. Don't K at a 40% clip and you don't have to worry about getting demoted.

Well, you totally missed the point...you note yourself "Maybe" a demotion is in his best interests, then just decide to rip on him rather than actually trying to convince me that a demotion might be a good thing.

Guys have started off at levels too high, spent months struggling there, then had the lightswitch click to on before. Other guys get started off too high, struggle, and never recover. Rather than simply insulting him, maybe you could try giving an educated argument about why sending him down is the correct solution and letting him work out his struggles is not.

We have to look at Mitchell as a "long term" prospect, it's simple.

Before his injury, many saw him as a replacement for Pierre after this season. That's obviously not going to happen now, so there's simply no sense in him continuing to struggle at Winston-Salem. Of course it's a demotion, but it's better for him to play ANYWHERE right now where he can rebuild his confidence a bit instead of just falling backwards at a 45 degree angle into an abyss.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 10, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
I was fine w/ Mitchell starting in High-A, as a 1st RD college kid should be able to hang w/ the talent there, but it's clear that Mitchell is not handling it well at all. I'm on board w/ demoting him to Kanny.

You can't forget he is also a kid who has always played two sports, and just missed an entire year of baseball on top of that. Thinking of him as a typical college kid isn't really accurate IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
You can't forget he is also a kid who has always played two sports, and just missed an entire year of baseball on top of that. Thinking of him as a typical college kid isn't really accurate IMO.

He's the exact type of college kid this board wanted... High ceiling high bust rate

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
Is it too early to get excited bout JorDanks?

I'm not sure I can be excited about him until I actually see him performing regularly in the big leagues. Not with his strikeout numbers.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 11, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
Is it too early to get excited bout JorDanks?

I'd have to see his swing. If this is a mechanical change like the kind Crede made to get rid of the big hitch in his swing, they we can get excited. If not, don't waste your time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
Bryce Harper was 4/5 with a HR and 5 RBI last night. .396/.472/.712/1.184. I'd say it's time for a promotion. And I'm talking AA. He's that good.

That kid is insanity.

I still think they'll have him (Harper) in High A ball for at least 4-6 weeks before jumping him to AA.

A month ago it seemed ridiculous to consider promoting Harper until the 2nd half of the season, if at all. Now it is no longer a question of ‘if’ but when, and I think that answer will be decided within the next week or two. Harper simply doesn’t have anything left to prove at Low-A Hagerstown, and needs to make the jump so he can work against a higher level of pitching prospect.

Harper has just dominated every aspect of Low-A ball and has shown the ability to hit both lefty and righty pitching:

Against lefties: .395/.447/.558: In 43 AB’s he has 17 hits (5 for extra bases), and 4 walks to 11 K’s

Against righties: .396/.488/.809: In 68 AB’s he has 27 hits, including 7 doubles and 7 HR’s, 12 walks to 15 K’s

Now obviously the numbers against righties are more impressive, but remember Harper is a LH hitter, so the fact that he is doing so well from that side is really impressive.

The Nationals have already been aggressive moving up some of their top prospects this season, most notably moving two members of Harpers 2010 draft class, Robbie Ray and A.J. Cole up to Low-A before giving them a shot at short-season ball. I would expect to see Harper promoted in the next two weeks with the likely target date May 23rd. The Potomac Nationals begin a 6 game homestand that day, which would make it the perfect time to bring Harper up. Potomac also has a huge 14 game home stretch in the beginning of June which could be a target as well. I Think though the more prudent move would be to move him up in 10 days, as it will allow him to see more advanced pitching (as well as help sell tickets at the Nationals closest affiliate). The earlier move could also potentially put Harper on target to advance to Double-A by August, which could make him a potential mid-year call up to the majors next season. That might be too aggressive of an approach, but the Nationals could have a pretty good team next season with Ryan Zimmerman, and Stephen Strasburg back from injury, and Jordan Zimmermann, Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond, and Danny Espinosa forming a quality corps of players.

http://fanspeak.com/washingtonnationals/20...-up-the-ladder/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Shirek got promoted to AA. No corresponding moves yet. Dash have an opening.

Charlotte does too, Jhonny Nunez was put on the DL. Nate Jones was put on B'ham's DL, Joe Bisenius was added to the Barons roster as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
We should just make a Bryce Harper thread. He was 2/4 with a HR yesterday. The Nationals picked the right years to f***ing suck.

Strasburg just had TJS. I wouldn't put him in that category yet.