Humber

Heads22

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
OTOH, just about everything in the Giants lineup except their catcher was acquired from somewhere else last year. Free agents, people released by other teams, etc.

i was referring to the strength of the team in pitching. The reason they were a good team last year was the pitching not the lineup. I think only Zito isn't homegrown. The Phillies lineup is mostly homegrown but the strength of the team is pitching and the best ones are from aren't from their minor league system.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
They had to go through 10 years of awful teams to finally get it right and build the talent. Even then Maddux was a FA and Smoltz was a trade with Detroit for Doyle Alexander. Where would the team have been without them? I, personally, do not want to go through a decade of awful teams.

The Phillies two best pitchers are trades as well. I think the Giants are a better example if you want to use the farm team arguement.

Smoltz was acquired when he was a prospect, so he counts towards the farm system, just as John Danks and Gavin Floyd count as the White Sox developing starters. The point isn't that you need to draft every single player, it's that you acquire young talent that will be cost controlled for quite a while.

With regards to the Giants, their entire playoff rotation was developed from within, and the main cogs in their bullpen were as well. They also wouldn't have been in the playoffs if not for Buster Posey. They filled spots where they needed, but all teams do.

Much of the Phillies offense was minor league talent or cheap acquisitions. It's true that 4 of their 5 starting pitchers were acquired from outside the organization, but they've been able to do so because they've had the minor league talent to deal while also maintaining some to help supplement their major league team.

Part of the problem with developing a good minor league system is that you generally have to struggle a bit to build it up. I'm not talking solely about draft picks, because I understand that around 50% of top 10 picks, especially pitchers, fail to live up to expectations. But being out of contention allows you to deal better players for prospects, which also help minor league systems. Good teams have the opposite occur. It isn't impossible. I believe the White Sox are doing a better job of this as of late, but to continue on, they need to hang onto some of these prospects instead of dealing them away.

I'm just hoping there are a few prospects that really make a name for themselves this year, because there is talent in the lower and middle levels. And then we have to hope that Williams has done a good enough job of addressing the needs of the major league club that he doesn't need to make a significant addition to it come July, like in 2005 when the Sox only move was acquiring Geoff Blum (even though he did have the trade for Griffey lined up).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Smoltz was acquired when he was a prospect, so he counts towards the farm system, just as John Danks and Gavin Floyd count as the White Sox developing starters. The point isn't that you need to draft every single player, it's that you acquire young talent that will be cost controlled for quite a while.

With regards to the Giants, their entire playoff rotation was developed from within, and the main cogs in their bullpen were as well. They also wouldn't have been in the playoffs if not for Buster Posey. They filled spots where they needed, but all teams do.

Much of the Phillies offense was minor league talent or cheap acquisitions. It's true that 4 of their 5 starting pitchers were acquired from outside the organization, but they've been able to do so because they've had the minor league talent to deal while also maintaining some to help supplement their major league team.

Part of the problem with developing a good minor league system is that you generally have to struggle a bit to build it up. I'm not talking solely about draft picks, because I understand that around 50% of top 10 picks, especially pitchers, fail to live up to expectations. But being out of contention allows you to deal better players for prospects, which also help minor league systems. Good teams have the opposite occur. It isn't impossible. I believe the White Sox are doing a better job of this as of late, but to continue on, they need to hang onto some of these prospects instead of dealing them away.

I'm just hoping there are a few prospects that really make a name for themselves this year, because there is talent in the lower and middle levels. And then we have to hope that Williams has done a good enough job of addressing the needs of the major league club that he doesn't need to make a significant addition to it come July, like in 2005 when the Sox only move was acquiring Geoff Blum (even though he did have the trade for Griffey lined up).

I would disagree because he wasn't in the minors long enough to be truly developed by the Braves minors leagues just like Danks and Floyd. Someone like Garland who spent significant time in the Sox minors after a trade I would consider a Sox minor leaguer.

Like I said earlier I'm not willing to suck for 10years like the Braves did to build up the system. I'd rather get a few and trade some of them for proven MLB players

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
The Braves' 15 division titles since '91 vehemently disagree with this assertion. I'd say the Twins of the last decade don't agree much. Or how about the Red Sox? Or do Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Youk, Bard and Papelbon not qualify? Phillies won't agree, either.

Yep, a couple teams have been successful. So every team should follow that same path? There are more than one way. But then you couldn't hate on the Sox as much.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I know JoeCoolMan is the official Soxtalk nicknamer, but I would like to nominate the nickname "Humble Humber" as the official nickname for Humber. I think Humber will be Humbled by batters a lot in 2011. :-p

I appreciate the attempt, albeit pessimistic, but I'm not sure this will work. I haven't quite begun to work on a nickname for Humber yet. Other than Humberger

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
I appreciate the attempt, albeit pessimistic, but I'm not sure this will work. I haven't quite begun to work on a nickname for Humber yet. Other than Humberger

KEEP IT!

Pleaaaase? Canwecanwecanwe???

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Yep, a couple teams have been successful. So every team should follow that same path? There are more than one way. But then you couldn't hate on the Sox as much.

Don't know what your problem with me is as of late. You could go the hi8is route, though it's clearly obvious he hasn't really put me on ignore, and that would be the end of it. In one thread I'm supposedly an 8-year troll. Now I just invent things to make up so I can hate on the Sox. If you say so.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
I know JoeCoolMan is the official Soxtalk nicknamer, but I would like to nominate the nickname "Humble Humber" as the official nickname for Humber. I think Humber will be Humbled by batters a lot in 2011. :-p

Pretty sure his nickname has already been decided. Philip Humper.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 02:49 AM)
Pretty sure his nickname has already been decided. Philip Humper.

There really is no hope for a cool nickname when the origin must coincide with Humber.

I think that the only option may be simply:

"HUMB!" ( pronounced HUMP of course. )

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Don't know what your problem with me is as of late. You could go the hi8is route, though it's clearly obvious he hasn't really put me on ignore, and that would be the end of it. In one thread I'm supposedly an 8-year troll. Now I just invent things to make up so I can hate on the Sox. If you say so.

I don't even know you, but it seems like every thread I've gone into has a post from you about how the team sucks, mistakes they made, how this ir that will be bad, etc. So I don't have a problem with you, but Jordan4life's posts have been irritating. I'm guessing in person you aren't nearly as pessimistic.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't even know you, but it seems like every thread I've gone into has a post from you about how the team sucks, mistakes they made, how this ir that will be bad, etc. So I don't have a problem with you, but Jordan4life's posts have been irritating. I'm guessing in person you aren't nearly as pessimistic.

You mean as far as my every day life goes that doesn't involve the White Sox? Of course not. But 4 missed postseasons in the last 5 years has taken a 'toll' on me. I'm eternally grateful for '05 and to see a WS champion at the ripe old age of 22 when others who had passed away in their 60's and 70's never got to see one makes me cherish it a billion times more. But I was never one of those fans that said, “OH MY GOD! WE'VE WON IT! WE CAN FINISH IN LAST EVERY SEASON UNTIL THE DAY I DIE AND I'LL BE SATISFIED! “ type of fans. 2005 elevated my expectations. By a ton. 2010 rubbed me the wrong way on many levels. The debacle that was the DH situation when it didn't have to be a debacle, the Edwin Jackson trade and another beat-down by the Twins was my boiling point. As far as I'm concerned, the Sox have to 'prove it' to me. We've heard the term “All-In“ for the last 5-6 months. But by my estimation, other than the Dunn signing, which was massive, we're the same team we were last year. This isn't like what the Red Sox or Brewers did. Basically, we're hoping that guys that for the most part sucked last year, don't suck again this year. Now I can't help it that certain posters like yourself, SS2K5 and hi8is are insulted whenever I say something that can't be misconstrued as holy optimism. You guys get on my nerves just as much as I do yours. But I don't say s***. That's your right. I only say something when you reply to me for the most part. I lauded the Adam Dunn signing and you can google the thread if you don't believe me. But I'm not going to pretend that I have faith in a Phillip Humber just because he's a White Sox. I'm not going to pretend to like any move the team makes just because it's the White Sox. I didn't like the Crain/Ohman signings. Does that mean I want them to suck so I can say I was right? I'd have to be a loser of epic proportions to want that. If that makes me evil then so be it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
You mean as far as my every day life goes that doesn't involve the White Sox? Of course not. But 4 missed postseasons in the last 5 years has taken a 'toll' on me. I'm eternally grateful for '05 and to see a WS champion at the ripe old age of 22 when others who had passed away in their 60's and 70's never got to see one makes me cherish it a billion times more. But I was never one of those fans that said, “OH MY GOD! WE'VE WON IT! WE CAN FINISH IN LAST EVERY SEASON UNTIL THE DAY I DIE AND I'LL BE SATISFIED! “ type of fans. 2005 elevated my expectations. By a ton. 2010 rubbed me the wrong way on many levels. The debacle that was the DH situation when it didn't have to be a debacle, the Edwin Jackson trade and another beat-down by the Twins was my boiling point. As far as I'm concerned, the Sox have to 'prove it' to me. We've heard the term “All-In“ for the last 5-6 months. But by my estimation, other than the Dunn signing, which was massive, we're the same team we were last year. This isn't like what the Red Sox or Brewers did. Basically, we're hoping that guys that for the most part sucked last year, don't suck again this year. Now I can't help it that certain posters like yourself, SS2K5 and hi8is are insulted whenever I say something that can't be misconstrued as holy optimism. You guys get on my nerves just as much as I do yours. But I don't say s***. That's your right. I only say something when you reply to me for the most part. I lauded the Adam Dunn signing and you can google the thread if you don't believe me. But I'm not going to pretend that I have faith in a Phillip Humber just because he's a White Sox. I'm not going to pretend to like any move the team makes just because it's the White Sox. If that makes me evil then so be it.

Dude, or you can just..

take a day off, cool off, go to the park. This is sports, baseball is just a game, fans are suppose to enjoy it. From your posts it just seems like you don't. It's always black or white, life or death.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Dude, or you can just..

take a day off, cool off, go to the park. This is sports, baseball is just a game, fans are suppose to enjoy it. From your posts it just seems like you don't. It's always black or white, life or death.

Again, I can't help it if you perceive it that way. Do you guys really believe I sit here with a blade at my wrists over f***ing baseball? Lol. Sorry, I have a little more perspective than that. This is a message board. One of a billion. You should be allowed to express your views or opinions independent of if they're deemed to be positive or negative. And as long as you don't attack somebody or somebody's personally, which I've done once in 8 years, and that's because that person was comin' at me. I talked to northside and I ain't said nothin' since. So save all that troll garbage and bad poster crap just because you don't agree with me.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
What is "Thirty Days in the Hole."

That's what I threatened my granddaughter with when she was bugging me. She then said, "I wouldn't want to do that cause I'd miss you guys too much." Gotta luv em and you Soxposters too

Marquez is starting Saturday. Maybe if he impresses he'll move ahead of Humber.

Technically, the Sox don't need a 5th starter until April 9th. They may have a little more time to figure out what they want to do. Unfortunately they're dealing with two pitchers that don't have options.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Marquez is starting Saturday. Maybe if he impresses he'll move ahead of Humber.

I hope not. Marquez is garbage. Humber was a top prospect, had surgery and now has a new pitch. While I don't think he'll contend for the Cy Young, I think as a fifth starter for a month, he should do OK. If the Sox are .500 in his starts, they are ahead of the game.