Humber

Heads22

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
and how LOUD it got on the A-Rod single.

you know it's been going good when the yankee fans get that excited over a single. :P

As much as I hate the Yankees and their fans, I think some of those cheers after A-Rod's single were for Humber and his efforts toward a no-hit bid. Cub fans wouldn't even have known the situation let alone applaud it, but I believe the fans last night had some appreciation for what they were witnessing.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsidepride15 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
As much as I hate the Yankees and their fans, I think some of those cheers after A-Rod's single were for Humber and his efforts toward a no-hit bid. Cub fans wouldn't even have known the situation let alone applaud it, but I believe the fans last night had some appreciation for what they were witnessing.

I think that's a myth.

I was at the Lilly/Floyd no-hit duel at Wrigley last year, and I would have to say this comment is compltely false. In fact, in the seats near me, the ones that were treating the situation in the wrong manner were the Sox fans.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
I was at the Lilly/Floyd no-hit duel at Wrigley last year, and I would have to say this comment is compltely false. In fact, in the seats near me, the ones that were treating the situation in the wrong manner were the Sox fans.

All good...I wouldn't be a white trash, gangbanger Sox fan if I didn't take a hopeless stab at idiot Cub fans though

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 05:10 AM)
I can't believe that people on this board are still pointing to negitives after a preformance like that.

Give me a break. Eat some crow - or in this case, some Humber-Pie.

I think we spend to much time on the negatives. We won a game and had a real super pitching effort and we still have negativity. I watched the game on ESPN last night and Humber was dealing. I also saw some good signs by Sox hitters regardless if we only got 2 runs. Burnett was dealing too. We finally got some breaks

It could possibly be the right guy, pitching the right game, at the exact right time, that we will point to in October. Or not.

And while we are tossing out names Esteban Loaiza came to mind. I wouldn't mind a twenty win season and trade to the Yankees for him.

QUOTE (southsidepride15 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)

I live here. Absolutely not. It was half a mock cheer half a cheer of relief.

I was hoping for a nice ovation for Humber when he gave up his first hit, as is customary in most stadiums when an opposing pitcher has a fantastic game, but I didn't get the vibe that any of those cheers were for him. Yankee fans are notoriously narcissistic.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
I was hoping for a nice ovation for Humber when he gave up his first hit, as is customary in most stadiums when an opposing pitcher has a fantastic game, but I didn't get the vibe that any of those cheers were for him. Yankee fans are notoriously narcissistic.

That is pretty much New Yorkers in general.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)

Their team has won 27 World Series. It's annoying, but any fanbase would be that way if their team dominated the sport as the Yankees have.

*bump*

Going through this thread is entertaining :)

We are trying to win a game. I'm not trying to no-hit the New York Yankees at all. I was happy to keep them off the bases and for the most part stay ahead in the count. That's the main thing. You go out there when it's your start, and you want to win the game, regardless of your personal results or anything like that. You want to give your team a chance to win and go deep in the game.

I really like Humber's attitude. Good kid - keep on showing you've got it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:01 AM)
Sounds good - bring it.

5 starts - 3 and 2 record in those starts...

Peavy back on May 2nd... let's go!

Damn - this actually might be a reality or close to it... off by maybe a week. ;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

BUMP

He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

Still have to agree with that.

However, the high draft pick indicates talent if nothing else, and if Humber is on the path to matching talent with success, not always an easy thing, then kudos to the Sox for taking a chance on him.

I like what Jeter said about him: "I don't think we saw a straight pitch all day."

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
His talent looks on par with Floyd and he appears to maybe have a better head on his shoulders.

He is doing the job and keeping the Sox in games.

Floyd's fastball is harder, his curveball bites more, and his change dives more. Floyd is a far superior talent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Floyd's fastball is harder, his curveball bites more, and his change dives more. Floyd is a far superior talent.

Floyd's curve when it is on, is just devistating. Humber seems to have a "good" curve when it is on. As our 6th starter, I am not complaining at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Floyd's curve when it is on, is just devistating. Humber seems to have a "good" curve when it is on. As our 6th starter, I am not complaining at all.

I'm not either. And from a baseball standpoint, I think Floyd's changeup is his best pitch when all 3 are working well. That curveball is really pretty and bends like a SOB, but the change is completely unhittable.

Thus far, Humber has looked eerily similar to the pitcher he was last season in Kansas City (although he was pretty much a long reliever last season).

The peripherals look almost the same in a similar amount of innings (His FIP and xFIP are off by less than .1 in the two years), with his ERA benefiting from a low BABIP.

His pitch velocity is similar on almost every pitch, but he's using the curve about 10% less this season. He's not necessarily throwing more strikes this year either, he's just getting more swings and misses and even those improvements are marginal at best outside of the 6% whiff rate increase on his changeup.

If the scouting reports don't catch up on him and he keeps up what he's been doing (pounding the strike zone at a fair rate, throwing his curve and change effectively), I think we might be looking at a guy who can be a decent 5th starter for the entire season.

I said before the season that there is some room for optimism when talking about Humber and I was basing that off of his peripherals in a pretty small sample last year and his velocity improvement on his pitches. It seems like he's brought that with him this year and it has provided very similar results.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
I am hoping that Peavy is back May 8th in Seattle where I will be watching in person

I don't think they've given a time frame yet, but isn't it basically a sure thing that he won't be back that soon? I believe he has to start from scratch again while working his way up to being able to throw 100 pitches in consecutive starts before he gets a chance to play for the Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)

If the poise we've seen from Humber is a normal thing for him, then that's one thing I'd say he has on Floyd. It's just something about Gavin that makes me think he's constantly scared up there.

And on another note, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to pronouncing both Humber and Morel's names correctly.