Adam Dunn

oldsox

My glass is half empty on Dunn. He strikes out about 40% of the time and is barely hitting .200. At least he doesn't clog up the bases. We gave up a lot of money and a #1 draft pick this year. This will go down as one of Kenny's worst moves, I believe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
My glass is half empty on Dunn. He strikes out about 40% of the time and is barely hitting .200. At least he doesn't clog up the bases. We gave up a lot of money and a #1 draft pick this year. This will go down as one of Kenny's worst moves, I believe.

You're aware it's still ST right???

Genius. Of all the players to pick on, I'd think Dunn would be the least to worry about. He is the most consistent hitter in baseball.

.251/.380/.527/.906, 178 K (33%), 107 BB (16%), 39 HR (7%), 101 RBI

If you can't handle numbers such as these from your designated hitter then you're better off not watching the Sox this season because that's about what you're going to get from Dunn, regardless of what he's done this spring.

Over the last 6 years he's 3rd in the majors in HR, 2nd in K% and 1st in BB%. He's here for the next 4 years, get used to it.

Last year Dunn hit .208/.250/.321/.571 in Spring Training. His 2010 April OPS would have been the 2nd highest on the team last season for that month behind Konerko. Struggling in Spring Training doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot for someone like Dunn.

The 2 Springs prior to 2010:

2009: .200/.320/.355/.675

2008: .189/.415/.338/.753

His best spring training numbers came in 2006 when he hit 6 HR with an 1.100+ OPS, 2006 also happened to be his worst regular season out of the last 7.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Give it time.

If I haven't done it to this point, I'd say it's safe to say it's not going to happen. Like Kalapse posted, there is no mystery whatsoever to what you're getting from Dunn. Expecting his K-rate to drop at this stage of his career is the ultimate exercise in futility.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)

I'm telling you - all we need is for April first to roll around and for the sox to run off a nice winning streak to start the year. It'll shut all these people up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
Last year Dunn hit .208/.250/.321/.571 in Spring Training. His 2010 April OPS would have been the 2nd highest on the team last season for that month behind Konerko. Struggling in Spring Training doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot for someone like Dunn.

The 2 Springs prior to 2010:

2009: .200/.320/.355/.675

2008: .189/.415/.338/.753

His best spring training numbers came in 2006 when he hit 6 HR with an 1.100+ OPS, 2006 also happened to be his worst regular season out of the last 7.

Spring Training doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot for ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spring training is in NO WAY indicitive of performance in April or the season at all.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)

He does strike out a lot, but will hit a lot of homers, drive in a lot of runs and most likely get a lot of walks. I loved Jim Thome, but he struck out a lot also. Not many guys can be the Big Hurt that's for sure. The K's are expected and it's only ST time so my guess is he is striking out a lot now to get it out of his system :lol:

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Spring Training doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot for ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spring training is in NO WAY indicitive of performance in April or the season at all.

Preaching to the choir, my friend.

You must of been in a coma last year when we had Kotsay as our DH. You remember the guy who rocked a .683 OPS.

mark-kotsay-25-mlb.jpg

Hi I don't strike out quite as much, but I make it up with grindy passion. I have two things in common with Scott Podsednik, we both have hot wives and our OPS is nearly the same.
Edited by southsideirish71

I'm not worried about Dunn's offensive production, but I would prefer him batting fourth or fifth. Trouble is, the only legit number three hitter the Sox have is the '08 version of Carlos Quentin. If Carlos can produce close to what he did in '08, he should be batting third.

I'd like to have a guy with a higher batting average and a little more speed to go along with some pop batting third. Rios would be alright there if he were more consistent.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)

Except with Beckham? :pray