2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Wow, congrats Illini fans

Thought for sure Illinois would find a way to blow it.

We all know Illinois fans are too mature and distinguished to storm the floor, right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Ugh, except the 30 people, thank you Illini fans for knowing that you've been there before.

This is what I had to deal with at IU when we beat Illinois and Minnesota back-to-back my junior or senior year. The idiots behind the basket would be the only ones to rush the court, and we got some negative press because of it.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Pretty sure no one expected Ohio State to lose twice in their first five conference games.

It's to the point where they're just not as good as we think they are. When Sullinger leaves the game they play like a freaking NIT team. It's bizarre.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
They're getting absolutely nothing from their freshman class, are they? Similar to Illinois it seems.

Seems that way. Thompson could turn into a stud though, he's so damn athletic. Did you see that ridiculous dunk on the inbounds pass he had against IU?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 05:10 AM)
It's to the point where they're just not as good as we think they are. When Sullinger leaves the game they play like a freaking NIT team. It's bizarre.

Their defense is awful outside of Craft. Sullinger's defense was really bad tonight. If Paul wasn't on fire, Leonard would have easily gone for 20+.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
I am f***ing utterly speechless right now. God that was awesome.

I can only pray that that could lead to a different Brandon Paul down the stretch.

This. A million times this.

That was probably the best Big Ten conference game single performance I have ever seen. 43 pts in a conference game, against a #5 rated team? Has there been a better one in Big Ten history?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 05:10 AM)
Seems that way. Thompson could turn into a stud though, he's so damn athletic. Did you see that ridiculous dunk on the inbounds pass he had against IU?

Yeah, he's a sensational athlete, but after following him in high school, I never thought he'd turn into a consistent performer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
Yeah, he's a sensational athlete, but after following him in high school, I never thought he'd turn into a consistent performer.

Ditto. Doubt he will. Still surprised OSU wanted him.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Winning on the road in any major conference.............tough.

Fixed. The Big Ten is not special in this regard, which brings me to my next point. Baylor is underrated. After their win at K State there's no good explanation for having them below Kentucky and North Carolina in the rankings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)

I never watched him in high school. He's from somewhere in/near Chicago, isn't he?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 05:14 AM)
Fixed. The Big Ten is not special in this regard, which brings me to my next point. Baylor is underrated. After their win at K State there's no good explanation for having them below Kentucky and North Carolina in the rankings.

Baylor should be #1 in the country, no doubt about it

What individual performances in the Big 10 in the last decade are as good as that? It sounds like hyperbole but BP just dropped 43 points on phenomenal shooting numbers against the number 5 team in the country.

EDIT: in conference play obviously

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 04:17 AM)
What individual performances in the Big 10 in the last decade are as good as that? It sounds like hyperbole but BP just dropped 43 points on phenomenal shooting numbers against the number 5 team in the country.

EDIT: in conference play obviously

Has there even been good enough players in the Big 10 the last decade to put up numbers like that? Michigan State not exactly a team that is lead by one superstar.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Has there even been good enough players in the Big 10 the last decade to put up numbers like that? Michigan State not exactly a team that is lead by one superstar.

Marco Killingsworth went for 34 and 10 in that Indiana loss to Duke in 05-06. That's the best one off the top of my head, but that's not a Big 10 game and I don't know the B10 well enough to come up with a full list.