2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
I have no idea what to expect in that game. On the one hand I could see Illinois getting blown out of the gym like they did at Purdue. I can also see them gutting out a tough win like they did against Northwestern. It does, seem, however that Indiana's shooting is coming back down to earth the last few weeks. So that'll help.

This is the big ten. I'm stunned any time any team gets blown out of the water. (I mean, ok, not stunned every time, but you get the point. In this league, the #8 team can beat the #1 team on a decent day).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
I have no idea what to expect in that game. On the one hand I could see Illinois getting blown out of the gym like they did at Purdue. I can also see them gutting out a tough win like they did against Northwestern. It does, seem, however that Indiana's shooting is coming back down to earth the last few weeks. So that'll help.

My thoughts exactly. IU has the advantage, I think, because it's at home and because IU has just played better than Illinois this year, I think. At least that's the impression I get from reading this thread, I haven't really seen Illinois play much.

IU's shooting is coming down to earth, but I think the past few games it's skewed the other way (i.e. they've shot poorly). I'd say they are a very good shooting team, and their average "level" would be not quite as absurd as it was for part of the year (better than 60% more than a few times), but better than it's been the past couple games.

Indiana is currently 3-3 in Big 10, Id venture to guess they finish 9-9.

Id expect them to lose at least 3 away games (likely 3, Wisconsin, Purdue and Michigan, but Iowa/Minnesota are possible as well) and then lose at least 2 home games (likely MSU and 1 of ILL/PU).

All things being considered, I can see them finishing as good as 11-7 (8-4 over final 12) or as bad as 8-10 (5-7 over final 12).

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Chesterton right? Matt Holba is a freshman there now. IU has been in to see him plenty and he's been on campus a few times this year already. Supposed to be pretty damn tough for the 2015 class.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Yeah Chesterton. We play them Friday at City as a matter of a fact. I am broadcasting the game for local cable. I'll let you know what I see out of the kid. The other interesting one they are supposed to have is the son of 1980 Mr Basketball, and Michigan City grad, Dan Palambizio.

Holba got his second straight DNP due to injury. I should see him at sectionals barring a relapse.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
What do you think IU's conference record will be? No way they win 12 games and I'm leaning towards 10-8. They're not a top 20 team by a long shot.

10-8 (+/- 1) seems right. I'll take that, considering coming into the season I was hoping for 7-11.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
Ten minutes in, but Kansas looks like they could destroy Baylor if the Bears don't figure out what the f*** they are doing soon.

EDIT: They figured it out.

Ha don't doubt Baylor. So freaking long and talented. Playing in Kansas is brutal, but I'm still confident that Baylor is the better team.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Ha don't doubt Baylor. So freaking long and talented. Playing in Kansas is brutal, but I'm still confident that Baylor is the better team.

Baylor lost to phog allen tonight, still no doubt in my mind that they're better than kansas.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Just realized that Talor Battle finally graduated. Thank the Lord, maybe the Illini have a chance in Happy Valley Thursday night after all.

Tim Frazier is having quite a year, but they don't have anyone else.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Baylor lost to phog allen tonight, still no doubt in my mind that they're better than kansas.

I've been a believer in Baylor the past few years but they always seem to fold to tough talent, it seems. Maybe a misperception.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 04:00 AM)
I've been a believer in Baylor the past few years but they always seem to fold to tough talent, it seems. Maybe a misperception.

Anytime a team is close to their talent, they are going to get thoroughly out-coached. Drew knows how to buy a player, but he has no clue what to do with them once paid for.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
Can someone explain Big Ten athletics to me? I don't understand this year's version.

I think we're finding out that they go a legit 7 deep, maybe 8-9 (OSU, MSU, ILL, IND, MICH, WIS, PUR, NW, IOWA/MINN on the bubble). Really only PSU and NEB are bad. Probably no national title contenders in the bunch, but maybe a couple of deep tourney runs if teams are playing well in March.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
I think we're finding out that they go a legit 7 deep, maybe 8-9 (OSU, MSU, ILL, IND, MICH, WIS, PUR, NW, IOWA/MINN on the bubble). Really only PSU and NEB are bad. Probably no national title contenders in the bunch, but maybe a couple of deep tourney runs if teams are playing well in March.

Remember though, this is the NCAA tourney we're talking about. Very few years are the final 4/final 2 composed entirely of "National title contenders".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)

I'd say OSU is definitely a title contender, as is Michigan State.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)

Really? I'd call NW, Iowa and Minn bad, and I doubt any of them make the tournament. I'd be shocked if the B10 sent more than 6. Which is still a lot, but, any more than that, I just can't see it. In my view, there is a big drop off after your first 6 teams there, and then another one right after that.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/ne...hwestern_011312

Illinois coach Bruce Weber said Monday that the Big Ten was “crazy” and “unpredictable” on the league’s weekly teleconference.

John Shurna and Northwestern are trying to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time.

(US Presswire)

So what would be crazier than Northwestern finally making its first NCAA appearance?

As everyone who follows college basketball surely knows, Northwestern is the only school in a “Big Six” conference that never has received an NCAA bid. (Indeed, every other Big Six school has been at least twice.) That’s embarrassing, and not just because the first NCAA final was played on Northwestern’s campus.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Really? I'd call NW, Iowa and Minn bad, and I doubt any of them make the tournament. I'd be shocked if the B10 sent more than 6. Which is still a lot, but, any more than that, I just can't see it. In my view, there is a big drop off after your first 6 teams there, and then another one right after that.

Wouldn't even say that. Those teams can beat you on any given night. Hell, even Penn State beat the s*** out of Purdue.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)

Iowa won AT Wisconsin, & Minny won AT Indiana. Neither will make the tournament, but those are two impressive wins.