2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Iowa won AT Wisconsin, & Minny won AT Indiana. Neither will make the tournament, but those are two impressive wins.

Yes they are, but I think they speak more to the weakness of the top than the strength of the bottom. I just don't see teams outside of MSU and OSU being elite right now, I see a bunch of GOOD teams. And GOOD teams always lose a few games like that every season. That's just my read on it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Iowa also crushed Michigan at home. They have an outside shot if they keep it up.

Doubtful. They don't play OSU or MSU anymore to get big wins and they went 8-5 out of conference with zero good wins and a home blowout loss to Campbell. Despite their two good wins, they got swept by Purdue and crushed by OSU & MSU.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Doubtful. They don't play OSU or MSU anymore to get big wins and they went 8-5 out of conference with zero good wins and a home blowout loss to Campbell. Despite their two good wins, they got swept by Purdue and crushed by OSU & MSU.

Big Ten is far and away the best conference this year. They crushed everyone in the non-con, so Big Ten teams will get the Big East treatment - just about all conference losses are "good losses." I'm not saying they'll get in, i'm saying if they grab another few wins they're not supposed to get there's no reason they can't make it.

How many will the ACC get in? 2? I'm not following them as much this season. Big East will get less than last year in, obviously. May open up more for Big ten to get in depending on mid major conference tourneys.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Big Ten is far and away the best conference this year. They crushed everyone in the non-con, so Big Ten teams will get the Big East treatment - just about all conference losses are "good losses." I'm not saying they'll get in, i'm saying if they grab another few wins they're not supposed to get there's no reason they can't make it.

I still think that, even in a down year, the Big East has more tournament caliber teams. The only reason the conference power rankings put the B10 slightly better, is that the Big East has a bunch of bad teams, much more so than the B10 has.

This certainly is the best year for the B10 that I can remember seeing in a long time. But no way I'd say they are "far and away the best", and in fact I am not sure they are the best at all.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
How many will the ACC get in? 2? I'm not following them as much this season. Big East will get less than last year in, obviously. May open up more for Big ten to get in depending on mid major conference tourneys.

ACC and PAC-12 both look real bad this year, haven't seen ACC this weak in a long time. Big East with a slightly weaker year than normal too. B10 much stronger than usual, now nearly as good as the Big East. B12 looks decent, net strength was helped by jettisoning Nebraska and Colorado (but that might actually hurt them in some ways). In addition to the B10, the Mountain West looks like they are having an exceptional year too, but they played a lot of weak OOC teams.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)

ACC will probably get 4

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
ACC and PAC-12 both look real bad this year, haven't seen ACC this weak in a long time. Big East with a slightly weaker year than normal too. B10 much stronger than usual, now nearly as good as the Big East. B12 looks decent, net strength was helped by jettisoning Nebraska and Colorado (but that might actually hurt them in some ways). In addition to the B10, the Mountain West looks like they are having an exceptional year too, but they played a lot of weak OOC teams.

There's actually a chance they get no at-large bids, just the auto-bid. Think it would be the first ever for a BCS conference

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)

I think you might be overhyping the Big Ten a bit. They are already 3-4 in the conference, a 6-5 finish puts them at 9-9, with a 17-14 overall record. I don't think that puts them in at all. Losing at home to a sub-par team is never a "good loss"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
I think you might be overhyping the Big Ten a bit. They are already 3-4 in the conference, a 6-5 finish puts them at 9-9, with a 17-14 overall record. I don't think that puts them in at all. Losing at home to a sub-par team is never a "good loss"

I might be, but the other pundits seem to agree.

Iowa I think has a legit shot at 7 wins, putting them at 10-8. Four wins again Neb and PSU, beat MINN (home) again, take one of two against NW, and then beat one out of IU (x2), ILL and WIS (home).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
The Big Ten is far and away the best conference this year. The Big East isn't even close.

Depends how you look at things. The b10 is the deepest conference but as I said earlier it wouldn't shock me if they only have 1 team make it passed the first weekend.

As for bids, NW and minn definitely have a shot though I would be pretty surprised if the gophers get in.

The acc is getting 4.

The pac 12 will get at least 2 one way or another

It should be interesting though cause the mid majors should be getting a good number of bids this year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
The Big Ten is far and away the best conference this year. The Big East isn't even close.

As a whole, I'd put them on about even par with each other.

As far as NCAA-level teams go, Big East still has more guns, as far as I can see.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Depends how you look at things. The b10 is the deepest conference but as I said earlier it wouldn't shock me if they only have 1 team make it passed the first weekend.

As for bids, NW and minn definitely have a shot though I would be pretty surprised if the gophers get in.

The acc is getting 4.

The pac 12 will get at least 2 one way or another

It should be interesting though cause the mid majors should be getting a good number of bids this year.

Mountain West may get as many as 4, though more likely 2-3.

Big 12 has 3 clearly dominant teams all going (KU, Bay, Mizzou). Then there is a group of 4, vying for anywhere from 2-4 spots: KSU, ISU, Texas, Okla. Then the remaining three (OSU, A&M, Tech) are just not going anywhere.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)

As far as NCAA-level teams go, Big East still has more guns, as far as I can see.

The Big East has 6 teams in the RPI top 20 and Louisville kind of wandering in 'if they figure it out' territory.

The Big Ten has 6 in the top 26 and 9 in the top 50.

In terms of top-heavy, the Big East probably wins because Ohio State has been a minor disappointment, but in terms of tournament teams in the Big Ten wins.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)

The Big Ten has 9 of its 12(75%) teams in the top RPI 50. All 9 of those teams would be in the tournament as it stands right now. Big East has 7 (43%) of 16 in the top RPI 50. So I'm not really sure why you would say that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Mountain West may get as many as 4, though more likely 2-3.

Big 12 has 3 clearly dominant teams all going (KU, Bay, Mizzou). Then there is a group of 4, vying for anywhere from 2-4 spots: KSU, ISU, Texas, Okla. Then the remaining three (OSU, A&M, Tech) are just not going anywhere.

The mwc can get 4 but most likely 3, the a10 can possibly get 4,the wcc can get 3 but definitely 2, the valley is going to get 2, cusa will probably get 2 and that's not even talking about 1 bid leagues with possible bid stealers if a murray state or a harvard for example slipped up. Lots of bids for the mid majors...

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Ouch, Hoosiers. Looking ahead to Illini?

Illinois doesn't play Indiana for like a month so I doubt it. They are bad defensively and until that changes they are going to let teams hang around.

Edited by whitesoxfan99