2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
That last play should get Weber fired on the spot. Maniscalco shouldn't have even been in the game let alone the 2nd option. So f***ing sick of this s***.

Seriously. He falls in love with slow white guys that have "intangibles". I thought I might have been done watching that type of garbage when Bill Cole and Mike Tisdale graduated, but I guess not.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
Yes. Time for the wings to take over the offense.

At least Abrams can play D and is part of the future. Let Abrams continue to play around 20 minutes and then let Paul and Bertrand initiate the offense so Henry can get some minutes since he has shown over and over again that he can put the ball in the basket.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 04:43 AM)
At least Abrams can play D and is part of the future. Let Abrams continue to play around 20 minutes and then let Paul and Bertrand initiate the offense so Henry can get some minutes since he has shown over and over again that he can put the ball in the basket.

Abrams is the least productive player in CBB. He averages about 2.5 pts in 19 MPG with 1.6 APG. He also has more turnovers than assists, and his turnovers are just mind-boggling bad. 4 on 5 when he's on the court. He shouldn't see the court for more than a couple minutes. His D doesn't mean much when Paul, Richardson, and Bertrand are good defenders and can be spread out on the wing. I agree Henry should be playing for them off the bench.

I'm still so f***in' pissed right now over the Illini game I can't even sleep. WTF is the point of this POS Motion offense?!?!? Dribble the ball and pass around the perimeter 30 feet from the basket. I've been a huge Weber supporter...but this dude is taxing my last nerve as a game day coach. I know he's not shooting the ball...but goddamn! And I'm not even mentioning the POS officiating...pathetic.

As for the posters who refrained from talking smack.... Howard isn't going to be able to convince these players Illinois is the place for them anymore. Not only is one of your most talented players in Henry not playing, Illinois runs the worst motion offense I've ever seen. How do you struggle to score 50 points, multiple times per season?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)
As for the posters who refrained from talking smack.... Howard isn't going to be able to convince these players Illinois is the place for them anymore. Not only is one of your most talented players in Henry not playing, Illinois runs the worst motion offense I've ever seen. How do you struggle to score 50 points, multiple times per season?

Wisconsin has a bunch of games in the 50's too. Hell one game they scored 41. It's just the style of play - use the full shot clock to get a good shot. Unfortunately for Illinois it's just pass-pass-pass heave up a contested three pointer.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Wisconsin has a bunch of games in the 50's too. Hell one game they scored 41. It's just the style of play - use the full shot clock to get a good shot. Unfortunately for Illinois it's just pass-pass-pass heave up a contested three pointer.

That's the thing, it works for them. They play good defense without fouling, don't turn the ball over, and take high percentage shots. Illinois has the athletes to ram it down opponents throats.

Also Illinois guys, have any of you seen Kendall Stephens play for St. Charles East I believe it is? Purdue fans thinking he's the next big thing or some crap. Haven't heard the same, I think their full of s***. Heard he plays in a pro-football area and not a lot of basketball competition.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
That's the thing, it works for them. They play good defense without fouling, don't turn the ball over, and take high percentage shots. Illinois has the athletes to ram it down opponents throats.

The turnovers are certainly the difference. I think it all comes back to Weber being from the Keady school of coaching from the 80's - we run a system and if you don't play well in it, tough s***.

As I said last night, I am officially done defending the guy. I've excused the relapse in recruiting following the NC run (which has been fixed...at least for a few years). I've excused the fact that he got some good players who just didn't have the right mindset to play high-caliber Big Ten competition (McCamey/Davis/Tisdale). I've excused the fact that he's gotten unlucky at times (the injury to Frazier on a hot Illini team the day before the NCAA tourney started; the debacle of Jerome Richmond, etc).

But no more. This loss, and those that preceded it, is absolutely inexcusable. Penn St was without two of its starters. They had about 10 people in the stands. You have a lottery pick for a center. You have a Big Ten freshman of the year winner. You have a guy that just dropped 43 on the top rated defense in the country. And yet you lose. You go 11-12 minutes without a field goal. You go something like 17 minutes with more turnovers than field goals. I mean at some point a coach would call a timeout and start drawing up set plays if s***'s not working. But he refuses to do that.

It was painfully obvious that Sam just doesn't have the quickness/jump that he had at the beginning of the season. He wasn't even close on the NBA three's he was throwing up. He couldn't get past anyone, and he was getting beat on the defensive end. Even if Abrams is terrible inefficient, at least he gives you effort.

Seems like the new AD is well aware of the fans' opinions of Weber, so hopefully something will happen if they continue to be mediocre.