2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
I still can't believe that 3 Paul made with the defender's arm on his face.

The look of disgust on Weber's face as that shot went up was priceless.

Did anyone else notice paul seemed to put considerable more arc on the ball yesterday? Even for free throws. It just looked odd to me.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
What individual performances in the Big 10 in the last decade are as good as that? It sounds like hyperbole but BP just dropped 43 points on phenomenal shooting numbers against the number 5 team in the country.

EDIT: in conference play obviously

Well, Etwaun Moore put up 38, 5 assists, and 3 steals on 13-18 shooting LAST year against OSU, so it's not unheard of.

Solid win for the Illini. Best part is that it buys Bruce Weber more time. NICE

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Well, Etwaun Moore put up 38, 5 assists, and 3 steals on 13-18 shooting LAST year against OSU, so it's not unheard of.

And that too probably ranks up there in decade performances, and was not even quite as impressive.

To score 43 points or more on 15 shots or less hasn't even happened in college basketball period in the last 15 years, pretty unheard of I'd say.

3rd player in all of CBB in 10 years to finish with 40+ points, 8+ rebounds, 4+ blocks...not too unheard of.

Also, first 40 point performance in a Big 10 game since at least 1995. So yes, calling it one of the most dominant performances of this decade is entirely accurate.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)

Eh, he gets a win like this about every season. A year or two ago he beat a #5 MSU team at home and a few days later beat a #10-12 ranked Wisconsin team on the road. People who think he's a bad coach are idiots. It's his inability (or more likely unwillingness) to adapt to his team. He wants to mold young guys to be good when they're juniors and seniors in his motion offense system and man to man defense. Sometimes you gotta realize the players will just never be good in those systems and change it up. I think he's been doing a pretty decent job of it this year all things considered.

People don't seem to remember this team lost 3 (arguably 4) of its best players last year. They brought back exactly one starter (Richardson) and their sixth man (Paul). They're relying on two guys who played a combined 11 minutes a year last year (Leonard and Bertrand...for both mostly garbage minutes) and a true freshman point guard (Abrams). His bench is a career bench player (Griffey) and a bunch of other freshman (Egwu, Shaw). They've gutted out an incredible number of close wins, due largely in part to his ability to design set plays and run them. Obviously the half court offense has been pretty terrible, and my TV remote has been thrown countless times due to this teams' inability to execute a simple post feed, but they're young and still learning. They coughed up 18 turnovers in this game and still managed to beat a national title contender.

They're going to have a terrible loss in the Big Ten. You know it's coming. But so long as they continue to make progress I think they can be a pretty dangerous team come March.

-Most points scored by a Big 10 player in any game since Glenn Robinson in the 1994 NCAA tournament (44)

-Most points scored in a Big 10 conference game since Glenn Robinson in 1994 (49)

-Most points scored against an AP top 5 team since 1996

-Most points with 15 or less FG attempts since 1996

-Most points by a Big 10 player against Ohio State since 1986

-Most points score by any player against Ohio State since 1987

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Yeah, weird to bash Weber because he destroyed Matta last night.

And it's not like his team played terrible. They still shot 47 percent.

Still crazy that neither team had a single bench point. This was a classic your 5 guys versus my 5 guys type game.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Oh, I think he definitely coached a good game. I just think Illinois can do 10x better. They have 2 absolute beasts on their team. No excuse for struggling to throw up 50 points every so often.

Oh, and thanks for pissing OSU off. They were going to be ready for Indiana Sunday regardless, now they are desperate.

I was talking with my dad during the game, but we were saying that no matter what the final outcome was, the way the Illini played that game was a win. It showed the players that they can hang with a top ranked team, and to take leads throughout the game even when they fall behind. And hopefully this is a coming out game for Paul, but I do think he needs to attack the basket more to complement his shot and not rely on the shot falling like crazy.

I also love Bertrand, talk about an efficient player, he's really come into his own the last 3-4 games.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Yeah, weird to bash Weber because he destroyed Matta last night.

Wait really? Brandon Paul has the game of his life, which he will never replicate, it's still a close game and you're complimenting the coach?! Excuse me?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Wait really? Brandon Paul has the game of his life, which he will never replicate, it's still a close game and you're complimenting the coach?! Excuse me?

Well he didn't f*** it up at the least.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)

Yeah, Weber was pretty good in-game especially compared to Matta who made a lot of blunders. Don't really know what the problem is.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Well he didn't f*** it up at the least.

For many parts of the second half, the Illini offense looked the same as always. Shot clock runs down & a guard chucks up a three. BP3 just happened to be hitting every single one last night.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
For many parts of the second half, the Illini offense looked the same as always. Shot clock runs down & a guard chucks up a three. BP3 just happened to be hitting every single one last night.

Right. I'm not saying Weber did a bad job, but when a guy is on fire like that it's easy to look good as a coach.