2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
Kansas is so very overrated, and their conf schedule is getting tougher.

They were 7-0 in the Big 12, hard to say they were overrated. The win at Texas was quality. Obviously their schedule gets much harder the rest of the way. Missouri twice, at Baylor, at K State.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
That'll do it. Nice win.

Oh come on, rushing the floor? Really? Its a big game, but its not like they've never done anything like it before. And the season is still long.

Still shocked that ISU has only sold out 2 games this season, that's a shame.

It's a HUGE win for the program. Iowa State hasn't done that any time recently and it likely pushes them from the bubble to in for a team that hasn't been in for a while. Rush worthy.

Kansas isn't a top 5 team, but they're the best combo of coaching and talent in the conference.

If we beat K-State on Tuesday, I'll get more excited. Kansas is our biggest basketball rival but we need to avoid a letdown against a scrappy team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
That'll do it. Nice win.

Oh come on, rushing the floor? Really? Its a big game, but its not like they've never done anything like it before. And the season is still long.

Still shocked that ISU has only sold out 2 games this season, that's a shame.

Since you haven't been in Ames, I'm not sure you realize just how much Greg McDermott did to Iowa State basketball.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
They were 7-0 in the Big 12, hard to say they were overrated. The win at Texas was quality. Obviously their schedule gets much harder the rest of the way. Missouri twice, at Baylor, at K State.

It's a HUGE win for the program. Iowa State hasn't done that any time recently and it likely pushes them from the bubble to in for a team that hasn't been in for a while. Rush worthy.

I would say Kansas is ranked at least 5 slots too high, and their 7-0 conf record (7-1 now) is not reflective of the fact that their schedule is going to get a lot harder coming up.

And you are certainly right that it has been years since they did something like that. I guess I tend to revert back to my own memories from the 90's. Maybe you're right.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Since you haven't been in Ames, I'm not sure you realize just how much Greg McDermott did to Iowa State basketball.

Only saw it from a distance, I guess it was worse than I thought. Makes sense, I mean, none of the current undergrad body was likely around for their last NCAA appearance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Only saw it from a distance, I guess it was worse than I thought. Makes sense, I mean, none of the current undergrad body was likely around for their last NCAA appearance.

None of them have seen a ranked team get beat in Hilton, or a postseason game.

Damn, just flipped on the BTN and caught the last minute and a half of the IL-MN game. Not sure what happened the first 58 and a half, but the last 90 seconds were pretty wild. Dumb, dumb, dumb foul at the end by the Illini. Leonard got called for it and fouled out but Paul swatted his arm and could have gotten hit too.

Pet Peeve - I hate it when announcers refer to it as first overtime when a second has not materialized (and especially when it doesn't appear imminent). It's not the first OT until a second exists, its just overtime! It's like calling a guy John Doe Sr. that doesn't have a kid or a even a pregnant wife.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Pet Peeve - I hate it when announcers refer to it as first overtime when a second has not materialized (and especially when it doesn't appear imminent). It's not the first OT until a second exists, its just overtime! It's like calling a guy John Doe Sr. that doesn't have a kid or a even a pregnant wife.

Welcome to the world of bad announcing. How about true freshman? Especially in basketball this is silly whenever I (rarely) hear it, but even for football just say freshman and redshirts can get the distinction.

I totally forgot the best part of yesterday's win. Seeing Hoiberg visibly get pissed.

Chris Allen did some dumbass Chris Allen s***. Hoiberg goes up to him, grabs his jersey, pushes him back with his fist and verbally berates him. It made Hoiberg even dreamier.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
He good. Don't like the Sycs I take it?

Well, if I had to pick between the two, I do like Evansville more. However, my best friend from college oversees all the food operations at Evansville's new arena, so I was rooting for the hometown team, so to speak. And for them to stop playing overtimes so he could go home :lolhitting

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Well, if I had to pick between the two, I do like Evansville more. However, my best friend from college oversees all the food operations at Evansville's new arena, so I was rooting for the hometown team, so to speak. And for them to stop playing overtimes so he could go home :lolhitting

Ahh gotcha. Was curious why a non mvc guy would bring up an extremely random valley game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
Ahh gotcha. Was curious why a non mvc guy would bring up an extremely random valley game.

Yeah. Though, since I follow IU recruiting, I was familiar with a few names (Odum and Ryan) from their high school days.

I do occasionally check on Illinois State, because I had a few siblings go there. That's about the extent of my association with the MVC.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)

He was thinking of his fellow IU fan on here and knew he would be watching his alma mater on the U since he sees very few games a year. I immediately knew it was all about me, didn't you?? ;-)

Watching Evansville is so draining. Having moved away I don't get to see them very often. But having grown up with the program, being friends with many players while in school - including current head coach Marty Simmons - it kills me when they struggle. They have a lot of obstacles to face compared to the other programs they are facing, yet it can be done. It's tough when the proverbial deck is stacked against you and the margin for error is extremely small.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
I totally forgot the best part of yesterday's win. Seeing Hoiberg visibly get pissed.

Chris Allen did some dumbass Chris Allen s***. Hoiberg goes up to him, grabs his jersey, pushes him back with his fist and verbally berates him. It made Hoiberg even dreamier.

Caught the last 10 minutes or so of the Iowa St. - Kansas game yesterday. Great atmosphere. Looked like it would have been a ton of fun!