2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
I think it is more they quit posting during the games, which probably stems from frustration.

Most likely this, just look at threads like the NBA one where multiple posters will be breaking down in agony and you go check the score and see the Bulls are up by 6 or 8 points, people like to overreact.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch much Big 10 basketball but decided to watch the Illinois-MSU game last night. Wow, what an awful, awful game. That was one of the worst games i've seen in a long time and I just sat through the UCONN-ND game on Sunday.

That being said, that Leonard kid looks to have a lot of potential down the road.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Big Ten basketball, you are f***ing awful.

Remaining Big Ten players that transferred to Iowa State, I have no idea how you won tonight. Royce White is a f***ing animal.

College basketball has become f***ing awful. lol@anybody who says college > NBA. Please. Just because college players don't get paid and the normal every day dude can relate to them better (i.e. they try so hard just like I do at my job) doesn't make the product better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
College basketball has become f***ing awful. lol@anybody who says college > NBA. Please. Just because college players don't get paid and the normal every day dude can relate to them better (i.e. they try so hard just like I do at my job) doesn't make the product better.

No, what makes the college game better is that it isn't three quarters of watching guys not give a s*** followed by a quarter of, sometimes, actual effort. College players want to win and it shows. That, at least for me, is the biggest reason to like the college game better. Its not that I can relate to them, I clearly can't really relate to either. Its that as a fan, I appreciate sports well-played, not sports going through the motions.

But I realize this is one of those things, people have their opinions and they won't change.

I've never noticed a difference in the effort. There are guys dogging it in college too. One thing the college game has on the NBA is exciting finishes. The game is almost never over because these college kids can choke and do so regularly. It's fun to see a team s*** itself at a full-court press with an 8 point lead.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
I've never noticed a difference in the effort. There are guys dogging it in college too. One thing the college game has on the NBA is exciting finishes. The game is almost never over because these college kids can choke and do so regularly. It's fun to see a team s*** itself at a full-court press with an 8 point lead.

I think this is the biggest difference and the reason people prefer college. When you have so many more teams that are of similar talent and age levels, there tends to be way more action at the end of the game. It's not the skill of basketball that makes the NCAA tournament so awesome, it's the excitement and randomness.

One thing the college game has on the NBA is exciting finishes. The game is almost never over because these college kids can choke and do so regularly. It's fun to see a team s*** itself at a full-court press with an 8 point lead.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
I think this is the biggest difference and the reason people prefer college. When you have so many more teams that are of similar talent and age levels, there tends to be way more action at the end of the game. It's not the skill of basketball that makes the NCAA tournament so awesome, it's the excitement and randomness.

Agree on both of these. The tense endings, and the upsets/parity are big factors as well. But I do still stand by what I said about effort.

And before anyone gets in a tizzy, it isn't so much that I care how grindy a player is. It is that the game is simply more fun to watch when players are fully into it. That's true of any sport, really.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Agree on both of these. The tense endings, and the upsets/parity are big factors as well. But I do still stand by what I said about effort.

And before anyone gets in a tizzy, it isn't so much that I care how grindy a player is. It is that the game is simply more fun to watch when players are fully into it. That's true of any sport, really.

The NBA game is designed for lazy stretches. the ISO game instantly takes 8ish players out of most every play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)

I agree here. What makes me want to puke is when people say the college game is better. That's just false. Last night's Illinois game was putrid. Just awful. An embarrassment to the essence of basketball. And that wasn't an anomaly. Games like last night happen all the time. But that's ok. That's just young men trying hard. Zzzzzzzz. But a 84-78 game in the NBA is just bad basketball. What's entertaining about watching future insurance salesmen be mediocre?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
College basketball is a far better product than the NBA.

This. You don't have to have dunks to have a good product. Dunks are the home runs of the NBA. Its the thing to keep the people with the short attention spans amused while the real game goes on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
This. You don't have to have dunks to have a good product. Dunks are the home runs of the NBA. Its the thing to keep the people with the short attention spans amused while the real game goes on.

No. Skills and talent are why the NBA is what it is. Or was Michael Jordan just a really great dunker before 1991?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
College basketball, to me, is far more entertaining and enjoyable to follow than the NBA. And it's not even close.

Maybe I watch too many Big 10 games and not enough others, but I agree that college hoops this year is down and seems less entertaining and enjoyable than in most years. I don't expect that to carry over to the tournament, however, which really has no real peer in any other sport.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
You might've had a case in the 90's. Today? Disgusting. Adam Morrison? J.J. Redick? Luke Harangody? Tyler Hansbrough? This is the best the college game has had to offer over the last half decade (I'm not including guys like Rose who were forced to go to college for a year)?

Lol, your four examples are pretty hilarious. The first two were some of the best offensive players in the history of college basketball, equal to a guy like Kobe playing against NBA competition. Harangody? How is he even in this discussion? He was an average college player for bad teams. And Hansbrough put up some decent stats in his four years at one of (if not the top) program in the country.

There's not as much scoring in college because you have a longer shotclock and a shorter game. Obviously they're not as skilled as their NBA counterparts, but they're still entertaining because literally anything can happen. The NBA is much more scripted - oh, you have 2 all starts and we have none? Looks like you're winning, why even watch?

Also, there is simply no comparison to the atmosphere of 5,000 crazy college kids near the floor v. a bunch of old rich folk sitting next to the bench. The environment in college bball is second to none.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
You might've had a case in the 90's. Today? Disgusting. Adam Morrison? J.J. Redick? Luke Harangody? Tyler Hansbrough? This is the best the college game has had to offer over the last half decade (I'm not including guys like Rose who were forced to go to college for a year)?

LOL, why these guys? Do you just hate white people? Luke Harangody? What? I mean Stephen Curry, Evan Turner, Blake Griffin...

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Lol, your four examples are pretty hilarious. The first two were some of the best offensive players in the history of college basketball, equal to a guy like Kobe playing against NBA competition. Harangody? How is he even in this discussion? He was an average college player for bad teams. And Hansbrough put up some decent stats in his four years at one of (if not the top) program in the country.

There's not as much scoring in college because you have a longer shotclock and a shorter game. Obviously they're not as skilled as their NBA counterparts, but they're still entertaining because literally anything can happen. The NBA is much more scripted - oh, you have 2 all starts and we have none? Looks like you're winning, why even watch?

Also, there is simply no comparison to the atmosphere of 5,000 crazy college kids near the floor v. a bunch of old rich folk sitting next to the bench. The environment in college bball is second to none.

Again, fans, atmosphere, NCAA tourney. I get all that. That has nothing to do with the game itself. I can't even watch college basketball drunk anymore. It's so watered down and pathetic. We've gone from the Fab Five, the Running Rebels, those great Duke teams of the early 90's to this? Oh my god. Where's my glock? I feel like shooting myself for even watching last night's game.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
LOL, why these guys? Do you just hate white people? Luke Harangody? What?

Stop. Big East fans used to overrate the s*** out of that bum. Put some shorts on Christian Laettner and he'd dance all over these "great" college players of the last few years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Stop. Big East fans used to overrate the s*** out of that bum. Put some shorts on Christian Laettner and he'd dance all over these "great" college players of the last few years.

I mean, I agree on Harangody. But he was never even first team All-American. That's why I asked why you listed him over the likes of Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, Evan Turner...

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Outside of March Madness college basketball is a joke, I also don't get the argument the NBA is just a a few teams with collections of superstars when college basketball is similar. Kentucky/Duke/UNC/etc. are all the top teams every year because they recruit the superstar recruits.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
I mean, I agree on Harangody. But he was never even first team All-American. That's why I asked why you listed him over the likes of Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, Evan Turner...

Curry has shocked most everybody. He wasn't supposed to be this good. Didn't Blake only go to college for a year? I'll give you Turner. Look, I'm not saying college hoops is a joke per se. I just go nuts when college hoops fans take a dump all over the NBA because they're making millions and pump up a clearly inferior product because, well, I don't even know why.