2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Well that's just not true. Lots of the best college bball players can't make it. And a lot of players on NBA rosters weren't very good in college.

The NBA is just a different game because of the athletes involved. More skilled guys are out there that don't make it to the NBA because of athleticism and size alone. One of my favorite players of all time, Dee Brown, is a great example of that. He was probably better than D-Will as a college player. But he's a small 6' in shoes kind of guy that just can't compete in the NBA.

The story of D-Will's life. Coming out of high school, his teammate Bracey Wright was supposed to be the better player. Wright kinda fizzled at IU, never sniffed the pros, and look at Deron.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
who had the better numbers during the title run season? Im just curious, I really dont know.

All i know is that people that season were saying "Dee Brown, yea i like him. But man, DWill has come out of nowhere and we really like him"

Head actually led the team in scoring with 15.9 per game, but here is the head-to-head breakdown

Dee: 13.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.8 stl, .499 FG, .434 3P, .772 FT

Deron: 12.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 6.8 apg, 1.0 stl, .433 fg, .364 3P, .677 ft

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
who had the better numbers during the title run season? Im just curious, I really dont know.

All i know is that people that season were saying "Dee Brown, yea i like him. But man, DWill has come out of nowhere and we really like him"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%93...basketball_team

D-Will had the PG body and the potential and the "true" PG skills that the NBA didn't really have. That's why the big debate was who would be better, D-Will, the protypical PG, or Paul, the score first PG.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
What? You're crazy. Deron had a great tournament, but in terms of stats during their college careers, Dee Brown had better numbers and was more consistent. Even in 2004-2005 he had better numbers and he was an All-American, Sporting News Player of the Year, and Big Ten Player of the Year.

Edit: and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

2nd Edit: and in his senior year he won the Bob Cousy award.

People just don't remember how awesome Dee Brown was. Deron got the high draft pick and did really well in the NBA, so people assume he was the better college player. But he wasn't.

Anyone that watched the 05 team could tell D-Will was the team leader and ran the offense of that team more than anyone else. Dee Brown was a solid college player but he wasn't Adam Morrison or Steph Curry or anywhere close to their levels.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

Hm, I don't think so. Dee Brown was definitely the more hyped college player.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Anyone that watched the 05 team could tell D-Will was the team leader and ran the offense of that team more than anyone else. Dee Brown was a solid college player but he wasn't Adam Morrison or Steph Curry or anywhere close to their levels.

By "anyone" you mean the coaches and media members voting in all of the major awards that year (all-america team, national player of the year, and big ten player of the year/defensive player of the year) the ones Dee Brown won and Deron Williams did not?

I'd like to point out that even though I missed the NBA debate, college ball sucks in comparison.

This s*** about college players "trying harder" is crap. The ones who try hard never really play compared to the college kids that get scholarships (and way more non-scholarship benefits, see Walker, Kemba). And how many college games end in blow outs?

And a majority of NBA players were in college. Did they just stop "trying hard?"

If I want to watch worse athletes do less amazing things because they "try harder", I'll watch high school ball.

Edited by Quinarvy

People forget too that Dee Brown was still expected to go 1st round after the 04-05 season but broke his foot during the pre-draft workouts. He came back his senior year and still did really well (again, winning the Bob Cousy award), but they failed to get out of the 2nd round so his stock took a hit.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
People forget too that Dee Brown was still expected to go 1st round after the 04-05 season but broke his foot during the pre-draft workouts. He came back his senior year and still did really well (again, winning the Bob Cousy award), but they failed to get out of the 2nd round so his stock took a hit.

f*** that year. "Oh, you guys want a 2 seed? Cute. Here's a 4. Now go play Brandon Roy and Washington on the West coast."

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
....Yes?

So Hansborough just stopped trying? Is that why he's OK now?

Or is the competition better, so former college stars that don't adapt look bad because they actually do have to try but aren't that talented?

And does that mean they tried in college or the others are now trying harder in the NBA?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
And the regular season is that important in college basketball? For pete sakes anyone with an even remote chance makes the tournament. Sure, seeding matters, but it isn't that big deal. Regular season's in all of the sports that have larger playoff sizes tend to be less important, but I enjoy sports and it is good to have a log enough season to prove the above average teams from the not so above average.

March Madness is tremendous but I really can't stand watching some of the games I see. The talent level and overall basketball play is not very impressive.

It is absolutely important. That's why the pre-season and mid-season tournaments and out of conference games are so highly valued.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
It is absolutely important. That's why the pre-season and mid-season tournaments and out of conference games are so highly valued.

Can't tell if sarcastic or not.

Pretty sure you are...

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)

Or is the competition better, so former college starts that don't adapt look bad because they actually do have to try but aren't that talented?

And does that mean they tried in college or the others are now trying harder in the NBA?

Not Hansborough. But yes, I think you'll see a great deal of difference in terms of effort when compared to NCAA to NBA. I mean, the NBA has a long history with the reputation of having many lazy players for a reason. I don't think that's a surprise. Millions of dollars and also the power to run the team (instead of the coach) changes a lot.

And really, the talent level is better in the NBA? You don't say.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
In terms of the whole NBA/College thing, it seems that people who were fans of college basketball when they were in college, still enjoy it. Those who werent really fans during college, mainly care about NBA or NCAA tournament.

I just kinda wish we didn't always have this fight. There's so many things to enjoy/hate about both games.

I can't remember the last time I cheered as loudly as I did for Watford's 3 in December, but I'm betting it was in that Bulls/Celtics series.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)

Or is the competition better, so former college stars that don't adapt look bad because they actually do have to try but aren't that talented?

I would bet on the millions of dollars in their pockets making it seem a little less urgent than it used to be.

Balta,

Its just a different connection. Professional teams winning is great, but nothing will ever compare to when Wisconsin went to the Final Four and being on State Street, or going to the Pep Rally on Friday night, rushing out onto Camp Randall Field and rubbing Dick Bennet's belly for good luck.

Its not about the game, its about the teams I care for.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
How is it that important. From a seeding perspective? For pete sake, most any half decent team will make the tourney, as will plenty of garbage teams.

Seeding is pretty damn important in CBB considering it all BO1 instead of extended series. Obviously, you want to position yourself to be playing those garbage teams while others don't.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Anybody who says that NCAA players try harder didn't watch Illinois basketball last year. McCamey had legit NBA aspirations and didn't give a s*** about it. Davis & Tisdale also half-assed it most of the time.

One thing you can say about college BB is that because there are so many more programs/teams, any generalization you want to make is probably true. There are probably plenty of teams of incredibly motivated, hard workers, and just as many teams who want to party. In the NBA, you have only a handful of teams like the Bulls/Spurs who are legendary already for work ethic, while on the other side you also only have a handful of teams like the Heat/Kings/Wizards who come to mind when you think "the effort of these guys is kinda lacking".