2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Pet Peeve #2 - The amount and degree of players flopping in college basketball is getting ridiculous. Two Ohio State players gave two of the biggest fake flops I've ever seen the past two weeks. One was so bad last week against Michigan, the OSU player (Thomas or Sullinger, I think?) flew back and hit the floor and the replay showed he was never touched by an elbow. It appeared there were 4-6 inches between the elbow and his face. I was watchign with the sound down so I might have missed something. They whistled the Michigan player for the foul and then went to the monitor to see if it was flagrant per the new rules and saw there wasn't any contact. The next thing I saw was Michigan taking the ball out of bounds, so they had to have reversed the call and taken the foul away.

Last night, Robbie Hummel was driving on the wing leading with his forearm as is common. Before he made contact with the IU defender, he threw his head and shoulders back like he had been hit by a truck and ultimately went to the floor. There was contact and a foul was called on IU which will get no argument from me, but to watch his head and shoulders flop before contact was even made was ridiculous! I wish guys would just play the damned game!!!

I am completely amazed that IU scored 78 points last night and even Purdue getting 61. At the 11:34 mark in the first half, Purdue led 9-8 and both teams were a combined 5-34 shooting from the field. If I wasn't an IU fan I would have changed the station in a hurry. I thought we were headed for another game in the 40's.

Strange stat - In a game Purdue lost by 17 at home, they only had 3 turnovers for the entire game. Their first TO didn't come until about 5 minutes remained in the game. Amazing.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Pet Peeve #2 - The amount and degree of players flopping in college basketball is getting ridiculous. Two Ohio State players gave two of the biggest fake flops I've ever seen the past two weeks. One was so bad last week against Michigan, the OSU player (Thomas or Sullinger, I think?) flew back and hit the floor and the replay showed he was never touched by an elbow. It appeared there were 4-6 inches between the elbow and his face. I was watchign with the sound down so I might have missed something. They whistled the Michigan player for the foul and then went to the monitor to see if it was flagrant per the new rules and saw there wasn't any contact. The next thing I saw was Michigan taking the ball out of bounds, so they had to have reversed the call and taken the foul away.

Last night, Robbie Hummel was driving on the wing leading with his forearm as is common. Before he made contact with the IU defender, he threw his head and shoulders back like he had been hit by a truck and ultimately went to the floor. There was contact and a foul was called on IU which will get no argument from me, but to watch his head and shoulders flop before contact was even made was ridiculous! I wish guys would just play the damned game!!!

I am completely amazed that IU scored 78 points last night and even Purdue getting 61. At the 11:34 mark in the first half, Purdue led 9-8 and both teams were a combined 5-34 shooting from the field. If I wasn't an IU fan I would have changed the station in a hurry. I thought we were headed for another game in the 40's.

Strange stat - In a game Purdue lost by 17 at home, they only had 3 turnovers for the entire game. Their first TO didn't come until about 5 minutes remained in the game. Amazing.

If Kim English makes it to the NBA, he'll become legendary for his flopping skills.

Only with Indiana Basketball?

Lawrence Central HS in the Indianapolis area hosted a Hoosier Recruit Showcase yesterday. Four games, 8 teams, 7 Indiana commits plus the primary IU taget for the 2015 class. Here is how they did.

2012 Jeremy Hollowell - Lawrence Central - 34 pts 16 reb

2012 Ron Patterson - Indy Broad Ripple - 15 pts and broke the BR all time scoring record

2012 Hanner Perea - La Lumiere Academy - 12 pts 5 reb

2013 Collin Hartmann - Indy Cathedral - 21 pts

2013 Devin Davis - Warren Central - 17 pts

2014 Trey Lyles - Indy Arsenal Tech - 33 pts 18 reb

2014 James Blackmon Jr. - Ft. Wayne Luers - 10 pts (injured near end of 1st half; did not play in 2nd half)

One of the top players in the 2015 class, freshman Jalen Coleman of Indy Cathedral had 28 pts on 10-11 shooting.

Other notes:

Purdue commit Raphael Davis had 23 pts for La Lumiere

Big time football recruit Jaylon Smith had 13 pts and 5 reb for Ft. Wayne Luers.

Not a bad collection of talent for one gym on a Saturday.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Only with Indiana Basketball?

Lawrence Central HS in the Indianapolis area hosted a Hoosier Recruit Showcase yesterday. Four games, 8 teams, 7 Indiana commits plus the primary IU taget for the 2015 class. Here is how they did.

2012 Jeremy Hollowell - Lawrence Central - 34 pts 16 reb

2012 Ron Patterson - Indy Broad Ripple - 15 pts and broke the BR all time scoring record

2012 Hanner Perea - La Lumiere Academy - 12 pts 5 reb

2013 Collin Hartmann - Indy Cathedral - 21 pts

2013 Devin Davis - Warren Central - 17 pts

2014 Trey Lyles - Indy Arsenal Tech - 33 pts 18 reb

2014 James Blackmon Jr. - Ft. Wayne Luers - 10 pts (injured near end of 1st half; did not play in 2nd half)

One of the top players in the 2015 class, freshman Jalen Coleman of Indy Cathedral had 28 pts on 10-11 shooting.

Other notes:

Purdue commit Raphael Davis had 23 pts for La Lumiere

Big time football recruit Jaylon Smith had 13 pts and 5 reb for Ft. Wayne Luers.

Not a bad collection of talent for one gym on a Saturday.

Trey Lyles is studly.

Weber should be fired today. Let McClain take over and try to salvage the season. If Mike Thomas doesn't fire Weber after the season I want him gone already at well. There is literally no reason for Weber to be coaching after this season. The talent differential in the game today was remarkable, Illinois scored at will and still lost to Northwestern at home. Thanks for your first three years now GTFO Weber.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Weber should be fired today. Let McClain take over and try to salvage the season. If Mike Thomas doesn't fire Weber after the season I want him gone already at well. There is literally no reason for Weber to be coaching after this season. The talent differential in the game today was remarkable, Illinois scored at will and still lost to Northwestern at home. Thanks for your first three years now GTFO Weber.

The problem is money. Thomas just had to fire Zook and had to pay the buyout (although I heard a booster covered a lot of it). I just have to imagine that it would be hard to fire both coaches in the same year.

I hope to God it happens though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
The problem is money. Thomas just had to fire Zook and had to pay the buyout (although I heard a booster covered a lot of it). I just have to imagine that it would be hard to fire both coaches in the same year.

I don't think Thomas would have taken the job if his hands were tied to that degree,

Bye, bye Bruce.

Mick Cronin, come on down.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)

Khan (Jaguars owner) covered the buyout. Problem is I've heard Khan is actually friendly with Weber.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
I don't think Thomas would have taken the job if his hands were tied to that degree,

Bye, bye Bruce.

Mick Cronin, come on down.

Cronin and Thomas are not on friendly terms and I'm not convinced Cronin would be able to recruit Chicago right off the bat. Get me Shaka Smart (and maybe keep Jerrance) and you could potentially own Chicago. He will also excite the fanbase and with the talent returning next year will be set up for success right off the bat.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Go away Bruce, I'm tired of the Jekyll and Hyde personalities of this team.

Time for a new start, and if done right it wouldn't take long to put Illinois back into a top 15 program.

Illinois could be top 15 next year if Leonard returns and you have a competent coach. The only player they will lose is the guy who has been amongst the worst players in the country since he got hurt against St. Bonaventure.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
That was an odd game. Illinois made more 3's at a higher percentage than NU and Leonard was unstoppable, and yet they somehow lost?

At the same time NU shot 60% and tied on the boards and only won by 4.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Fire Lowery, fire Bruce, hire Bruce. #pipedream

I fully expect Weber to be successful at his next stop. It is pretty clear that the pressure of the Illinois job got to him and he just isn't the same coach he was when he first got the job. He inherited a lot of talent but those teams were also exceptionally well coached and executed on offense at an incredible level. His success at Illinois wasn't just the talent he got from Self, it was also good coaching and his teams at Southern Illinois were also very well coached. I think that the recruiting failures he had early at Illinois coupled with the failures on the floor made him very uptight in his coaching and the play on the floor has reflected that. He also hasn't seemed to truly connect with a lot of his players recently which is a major issue at the high major level where you have guys with bigger egos and guys that need to be pampered a little more than at the mid major level.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
I fully expect Weber to be successful at his next stop. It is pretty clear that the pressure of the Illinois job got to him and he just isn't the same coach he was when he first got the job. He inherited a lot of talent but those teams were also exceptionally well coached and executed on offense at an incredible level. His success at Illinois wasn't just the talent he got from Self, it was also good coaching and his teams at Southern Illinois were also very well coached. I think that the recruiting failures he had early at Illinois coupled with the failures on the floor made him very uptight in his coaching and the play on the floor has reflected that. He also hasn't seemed to truly connect with a lot of his players recently which is a major issue at the high major level where you have guys with bigger egos and guys that need to be pampered a little more than at the mid major level.

I'm not asking this to be an ass, but what kind of pressure is their at Illinois that there isn't at another school? It's not like Illinois is some national powerhouse. They are a middle of the road/stepping stone type program that occassionally succeeds and makes the tournament but doesn't do it consistently.

I understand that Illini fans want and expect more, but I don't really think there is pressure of the Illinois job.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)
I'm not asking this to be an ass, but what kind of pressure is their at Illinois that there isn't at another school? It's not like Illinois is some national powerhouse. They are a middle of the road/stepping stone type program that occassionally succeeds and makes the tournament but doesn't do it consistently.

I understand that Illini fans want and expect more, but I don't really think there is pressure of the Illinois job.

The illini are tied for 11th for overall ncaa tournament appearances. They also have the 13th most wins in NCAA history. Pretty good for a "middle of the road" program. Illinois is a basketball school in a power conference and has a decent amount of success recently. They won I think 4 straight big ten titles from 01-05. Now we are perennially a bubble team. I don't see whats so hard to understand here.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)

First, when he mentioned the pressure of the job, I think he was comparing it to Bruce's previous job. I think it's safe to say that there is more pressure to succeed in Champaign than there is in Carbondale. Second, I know some Illinois fans are delusional and expect Kansas/Kentucky like results every year, which is ridiculous. But giving the team's success since the Lou Henson era, I think it's right to expect the team to not be on the bubble or worse every single year. Since 1981, they have made the tourney 75% of the time, with 17 top-5 seeds in the tourney.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 07:19 AM)
The illini are tied for 11th for overall ncaa tournament appearances. They also have the 13th most wins in NCAA history. Pretty good for a "middle of the road" program. Illinois is a basketball school in a power conference and has a decent amount of success recently. They won I think 4 straight big ten titles from 01-05. Now we are perennially a bubble team. I don't see whats so hard to understand here.

Don't be so sensitive. NCAA appearances are fine but how many Final Fours in that string? 1? How many trips to Sweet 16?

Littlehurt laid it out where it makes sense.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Don't be so sensitive. NCAA appearances are fine but how many Final Fours in that string? 1? How many trips to Sweet 16?

Littlehurt laid it out where it makes sense.

Not sensitive. Posting from my phone, so it's difficult to say things the way I'd like. I never tried to say the illini were elite, but a bubble team, when the making the tournament was pretty much the norm, is unacceptable.

I just didn't see why you would question the whole pressure thing. Theres almost always more pressure when you coach at a BCS conference program instead of an MVC school.