2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Stop. Big East Notre Dame fans used to overrate the s*** out of that bum. Put some shorts on Christian Laettner and he'd dance all over these "great" college players of the last few years.

Fixed for you. Don't group all of us in to that

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I can't agree. I think the tournament is incredibly entertaining and I enjoy watching the game but the quality and level of play in college just doens't compare to the NBA. And that is coming from someone who thinks the NBA has a lot of quality issues.

The first 40 minutes of every NBA is pointless. The regular season drags on and on and on. I gave up on the NBA when the Soncis were stolen and have not missed it one bit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
I didn't change anything. Melo went to college for one year. And he had no business going in the first place. He would've made a mockery of college hoops had he went 3 years.

Some wound say he is making a mockery of the NBA game sometimes.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
The first 40 minutes of every NBA is pointless. The regular season drags on and on and on. I gave up on the NBA when the Soncis were stolen and have not missed it one bit.

And the regular season is that important in college basketball? For pete sakes anyone with an even remote chance makes the tournament. Sure, seeding matters, but it isn't that big deal. Regular season's in all of the sports that have larger playoff sizes tend to be less important, but I enjoy sports and it is good to have a log enough season to prove the above average teams from the not so above average.

March Madness is tremendous but I really can't stand watching some of the games I see. The talent level and overall basketball play is not very impressive.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
I didn't change anything. Melo went to college for one year. And he had no business going in the first place. He would've made a mockery of college hoops had he went 3 years.

Melo had the opportunity to come out of high school. He didn't, and I'd say it undeniably helped him. So yeah, I'd say he definitely had business going to school.

Way to ruin a thread, j4l.

I wonder how much college basketball you've ever watched. Nobody in their right mind would say that the college game is more skilled than the NBA game but there are plenty of reasons why people enjoy the college game more than they enjoy the nba game.

Also, people need to stop saying that the talent level in college is down every f***in year. There are a few teams this year with elite level talent and if you want to watch good basketball watch some of the mids, this is the deepest class of mids we've had since I've started following college hoops.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Way to ruin a thread, j4l.

I wonder how much college basketball you've ever watched. Nobody in their right mind would say that the college game is more skilled than the NBA game but there are plenty of reasons why people enjoy the college game more than they enjoy the nba game.

Also, people need to stop saying that the talent level in college is down every f***in year. There are a few teams this year with elite level talent and if you want to watch good basketball watch some of the mids, this is the deepest class of mids we've had since I've started following college hoops.

I think the heart, intensity, and fan involvement is a huge part of what makes college basketball special. And I do think there are some teams that are good, but when you watch a couple middle of the conference teams play each other, the overall level of basketball isn't that great. It is other reasons, in my opinion, for why you watch.

I just find it silly that someone enjoys college basketball but doesn't enjoy a league where all the best kids from college basketball go to play.... doesn't make much sense. Now, March Madness is different animal in that its a huge tournament single elimination and kind of nuts.... but I'm referring to the regular season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
I think the heart, intensity, and fan involvement is a huge part of what makes college basketball special. And I do think there are some teams that are good, but when you watch a couple middle of the conference teams play each other, the overall level of basketball isn't that great. It is other reasons, in my opinion, for why you watch.

Then lets judge the NBA on watching Detroit and Sacramento play.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Then lets judge the NBA on watching Detroit and Sacramento play.

There are a lot more mid-conference team's than Detroit's & Sacremento's. Irregardless, I say to each their own. I like NBA > College, but that is just my opinion and I'm not going to bash anyone for thinking differently. If I went to a school that had a great college basketball team, I might have a different opinion myself.

The NBA and College game are pretty different. In college you have many more system offenses and you dont just watch the same iso/screen every single possession.

I like college basketball more than the NBA, it has nothing to do with talent. Some people like High School sports, I doubt they argue its because a HS player is better than a NBA player. If you enjoy watching a lot of different styles, you may enjoy college. If you like watching 3-4 plays run by the most talented players on the planet, youll probably like NBA.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
I just find it silly that someone enjoys college basketball but doesn't enjoy a league where all the best kids from college basketball go to play.... doesn't make much sense. Now, March Madness is different animal in that its a huge tournament single elimination and kind of nuts.... but I'm referring to the regular season.

Well that's just not true. Lots of the best college bball players can't make it. And a lot of players on NBA rosters weren't very good in college.

The NBA is just a different game because of the athletes involved. More skilled guys are out there that don't make it to the NBA because of athleticism and size alone. One of my favorite players of all time, Dee Brown, is a great example of that. He was probably better than D-Will as a college player. But he's a small 6' in shoes kind of guy that just can't compete in the NBA.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
The NBA and College game are pretty different. In college you have many more system offenses and you dont just watch the same iso/screen every single possession.

I like college basketball more than the NBA, it has nothing to do with talent. Some people like High School sports, I doubt they argue its because a HS player is better than a NBA player. If you enjoy watching a lot of different styles, you may enjoy college. If you like watching 3-4 plays run by the most talented players on the planet, youll probably like NBA.

Most people that are big into highschool sports are either working in the field or from small towns where those sports are more important throughout the town, if you lived in a college town I could see enjoying the college game since thats your local team but most everyone here is Chicago area or some other relatively big city.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Well that's just not true. Lots of the best college bball players can't make it. And a lot of players on NBA rosters weren't very good in college.

The NBA is just a different game because of the athletes involved. More skilled guys are out there that don't make it to the NBA because of athleticism and size alone. One of my favorite players of all time, Dee Brown, is a great example of that. He was probably better than D-Will as a college player. But he's a small 6' in shoes kind of guy that just can't compete in the NBA.

D-Will was much better Dee Brown and it really showed during the tournament... Brown was just more flashy because of his speed.

Obviously their are a few players that are great college players but not good enough for NBA but I was referring to majority.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
D-Will was much better Dee Brown and it really showed during the tournament... Brown was just more flashy because of his speed.

What? You're crazy. Deron had a great tournament, but in terms of stats during their college careers, Dee Brown had better numbers and was more consistent. Even in 2004-2005 he had better numbers and he was an All-American, Sporting News Player of the Year, and Big Ten Player of the Year.

Edit: and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

2nd Edit: and in his senior year he won the Bob Cousy award.

People just don't remember how awesome Dee Brown was. Deron got the high draft pick and did really well in the NBA, so people assume he was the better college player. But he wasn't.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Look, even Kyyle, a certified J4L hater agrees with me.

i certainly dont hate you, i just think you are a little quick on the trigger with your judgements and usually too stubborn to back off your initial snap assessment.

And I was just making a call on your small point. Your larger point is a different discussion. Having Melo in college for a minimum 3 years isnt the travesty you think it would be, but I think we all knew Melo was ready to make the jump to the big boys.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
What? You're crazy. Deron had a great tournament, but in terms of stats during their college careers, Dee Brown had better numbers and was more consistent. Even in 2004-2005 he had better numbers and he was an All-American, Sporting News Player of the Year, and Big Ten Player of the Year.

Edit: and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

who had the better numbers during the title run season? Im just curious, I really dont know.

All i know is that people that season were saying "Dee Brown, yea i like him. But man, DWill has come out of nowhere and we really like him"