2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
Outside of March Madness college basketball is a joke, I also don't get the argument the NBA is just a a few teams with collections of superstars when college basketball is similar. Kentucky/Duke/UNC/etc. are all the top teams every year because they recruit the superstar recruits.

I just laugh at the notion that it's better basketball when one guy goes ISO versus a college team that almost always runs set plays or styles. Obviously not every NBA team does, and there are still set plays. But it's still pick and roll or ISO offense 95% of the time.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
I just laugh at the notion that it's better basketball when one guy goes ISO versus a college team that almost always runs set plays or styles. Obviously not every NBA team does, and there are still set plays. But it's still pick and roll or ISO offense 95% of the time.

I think he's primarily referring to the far lower skill level of college basketball. That's why he pointed out guys who were studs in college ball like Morrison who are terrible in the NBA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Curry has shocked most everybody. He wasn't supposed to be this good. Didn't Blake only go to college for a year? I'll give you Turner. Look, I'm not saying college hoops is a joke per se. I just go nuts when college hoops fans take a dump all over the NBA because they're making millions and pump up a clearly inferior product because, well, I don't even know why.

I think for a lot of people it's the fact that you've got 82 games of pretty meaningless basketball. It's not must-see every night because they can lose the game and it just won't matter that much. In college basketball, if you're a contender, every single game matters, even the ones against crap teams. Crap teams, btw, that can still beat you.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)

You know, the Bulls didn't always run the triangle when they were winning 6 rings. You're supposed to run iso for J.J. Redick? The talent is too inferior to run iso consistently even if you wanted to. If LeBron had went to Duke, trust me, they would've been playing very little "team" ball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Curry has shocked most everybody. He wasn't supposed to be this good. Didn't Blake only go to college for a year? I'll give you Turner. Look, I'm not saying college hoops is a joke per se. I just go nuts when college hoops fans take a dump all over the NBA because they're making millions and pump up a clearly inferior product because, well, I don't even know why.

I like the NBA. Their players are much, much better, obviously. I just find the product of college basketball better. A lot goes into that; the atmosphere of games, players at least looking like they give more effort, the inherently unpredictability of the game, March Madness, the way the games are called etc. I also can't believe I just defended CBB reffing, which is completely atrocious. However, at least the refs there are simply incompetent rather than looking like they are trying to fix the game.

Griffin was in college in two years by the way.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
I think he's primarily referring to the far lower skill level of college basketball. That's why he pointed out guys who were studs in college ball like Morrison who are terrible in the NBA.

But my counter is that Morrison destroyed college basketball, so it's the same thing as watching Kobe. Is Kobe shooting fall away jumpers against NBA competition really that much different than Morrison hitting fall away jumpers against college competition?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
I think for a lot of people it's the fact that you've got 82 games of pretty meaningless basketball. It's not must-see every night because they can lose the game and it just won't matter that much. In college basketball, if you're a contender, every single game matters, even the ones against crap teams. Crap teams, btw, that can still beat you.

crap teams dont beat the top teams.... they beat the mediocre teams like Illinois. Now in the NBA, you got the Bucks beating the Heat and the Warriors beating the Bulls and Mavericks... more likely in the NBA will a crap team beat an elite team.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
But my counter is that Morrison destroyed college basketball, so it's the same thing as watching Kobe. Is Kobe shooting fall away jumpers against NBA competition really that much different than Morrison hitting fall away jumpers against college competition?

Yeah, it really, really is.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
No. Big ten basketball is what's horrible.

Sorry, I don't need big named guys to drool over, and dunks to distract me from the other eight guys on the floor standing around.

I enjoy the game of basketball where 5 guys on the floor are moving on offense, and 5 guys on defense are working.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Sorry, I don't need big named guys to drool over, and dunks to distract me from the other eight guys on the floor standing around.

I enjoy the game of basketball where 5 guys on the floor are moving on offense, and 5 guys on defense are working.

So go watch the Sixers.

And I'll add too that I'm a huge NBA fan. I watch every Bulls game and anything else that's on ESPN/TNT/NBATV unless Illinois is playing. I also watch a s*** ton of Big Ten basketball games. I enjoy both, but I can absolutely see why people enjoy college more. Hell, if it wasn't for Rose and the Bulls being good again I know I'd much prefer to watch college basketball over the NBA regular season. Not even a contest.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
So go watch the Sixers.

Honestly I haven't seen them this year, but with Thibs as coach, the Bulls are one of the few NBA teams out there worth watching. They really run a nice fluid system, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
Again, fans, atmosphere, NCAA tourney. I get all that. That has nothing to do with the game itself. I can't even watch college basketball drunk anymore. It's so watered down and pathetic. We've gone from the Fab Five, the Running Rebels, those great Duke teams of the early 90's to this? Oh my god. Where's my glock? I feel like shooting myself for even watching last night's game.

So then don't watch it and quit spamming the thread, nancy boy. College basketball is very enjoyable to most. I can't even make it through an NBA game. You want to watch a college basketball NBA team? Watch Kentucky. You seem to be about as cool as their fans.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
So then don't watch it and quit spamming the thread like a nancy boy. College basketball is very enjoyable to most. I can't even make it through an NBA game. You want to watch a college basketball NBA team? Watch Kentucky. You seem to be about as cool as their fans.

No. Just like people can come into the NBA thread and b**** about how horrible the NBA is. I'll do the same thing after last night's tragedy that was Michigan/Illinois.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)

I think it is. Morrison's play isn't that impressive because you know he's doing it against jobbers and he's simply not as good as Kobe.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Yeah, it really, really is.

How? One guy is dropping 35 with crazy shots/drives/whatever, the other is...dropping 35 with crazy shots/drives/whatever. And hell, with the defensive rules it's harder for college players to go off like that since you can cheat over with a double team.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
How? One guy is dropping 35 with crazy shots/drives/whatever, the other is...dropping 35 with crazy shots/drives/whatever. And hell, with the defensive rules it's harder for college players to go off like that since you can cheat over with a double team.

You don't even need hindsight for this. What would Kobe have done to the college game if he had gone? And this was back when it wasn't so watered down.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
You know, the Bulls didn't always run the triangle when they were winning 6 rings. You're supposed to run iso for J.J. Redick? The talent is too inferior to run iso consistently even if you wanted to. If LeBron had went to Duke, trust me, they would've been playing very little "team" ball.

Durant was the closest thing to this in college. Texas' offense with him was basically hand him the ball and watch him go to work. He put up massive numbers, but the team was pretty unremarkable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
You don't even need hindsight for this. What would Kobe have done to the college game if he had gone? And this was back when it wasn't so watered down.

I think he would have done just as good as a guy like Melo, who did just as good IN COLLEGE like other guys that have failed in the NBA but still ruled the college game. It doesn't equate to each level like you're arguing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I think he would have done just as good as a guy like Melo, who did just as good IN COLLEGE like other guys that have failed in the NBA but still ruled the college game. It doesn't equate to each level like you're arguing.

Exactly. I think the only huge difference would have been LeBron because he was so physically ridiculous.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
College basketball, to me, is far more entertaining and enjoyable to follow than the NBA. And it's not even close.

I can't agree. I think the tournament is incredibly entertaining and I enjoy watching the game but the quality and level of play in college just doens't compare to the NBA. And that is coming from someone who thinks the NBA has a lot of quality issues.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

Melo was like an 18-year old freshman and did what he did. What would he have done as a 20-year old junior?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I can't agree. I think the tournament is incredibly entertaining and I enjoy watching the game but the quality and level of play in college just doens't compare to the NBA. And that is coming from someone who thinks the NBA has a lot of quality issues.

The quality doesnt bother me. It is the officiating that always bothers me. Superstar calls and maddening inconsistency just drive me insane.