Milledge DFA

justBLAZE

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Dude, nobody's saying you can't criticize ballplayers. But you're asking to be piled on when you make contentious claims like "x can never do y" or "a is the worst b in history", etc. Go ahead and criticize, but when you pour on the hyperbole you get a lot of moderating answers pulling the discussion back towards center. That's the nature of living at a pole.

So Lillibridge is not a bad player? What about Brandon Wood and his career slash line of .167/.197/.258/.454 in almost 500 plate appearances at the big league level? He doesn't flat suck? What about somebody like Rodrigo Lopez (just pulling names out my ass now)? He's not terrible at his profession? Do these guys have to be Cubs for it to be alright? This is simply a case of multiple posters getting sensitive about something rather inconsequential.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 05:40 AM)
So Lillibridge is not a bad player? What about Brandon Wood and his career slash line of .167/.197/.258/.454 in almost 500 plate appearances at the big league level? He doesn't flat suck? What about somebody like Rodrigo Lopez (just pulling names out my ass now)? He's not terrible at his profession? Do these guys have to be Cubs for it to be alright? This is simply a case of multiple posters getting sensitive about something rather inconsequential.

This argument reminds me when I thought Wise was a good player and everybody ripped me and I kept fiting back. Now I can see why people got mad at me. This is growing old.

I don't like Lilly and don't think he's a real major leaguer, but I wouldn't call him worthless.

Maybe bad player is correct just as you all thought Wise was a bad player.

I would grade Lilly a D, which I would also grade Wise.

But both have had some decent moments in Sox uniform. Neither player is/was "worthless."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)

Again, nobody's saying don't criticize or state your opinion. But the tendency towards broad, sweeping statements not phrased as opinions makes you a lightning rod.

I've also heard you use the "if it was the cubs/twins" thing a few times to try and point out hypocrisy, but I don't think it does. For one, soxtalk goers, as a rule, are not unbiased towards the cubs/twins, they're just biased in the opposite direction. So if you say something like "if Humber was playing for the Cubs, you'd mock them endlessly!" Well, of course I would, because I will go to almost any lengths to mock the Cubs. It's half the fun of being a Sox fan. That doesn't say anything about Humber. Additionally, the "if he was playing for the Twins" thing does not leave room for someone to actually LIKE a player you don't. To use Humber again, if Humber were playing for the Twins, many of us might mock them, but some of us might not because they think he has potential.

Seems like you'd like the right to state your opinion frankly and without backlash. But when you make blanket statements like "so-and-so is terrible, PERIOD" you're really stepping on the toes of other people's opinions. That's why you're getting backlash repeatedly.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)

J,

It's not about being sensitive. Many of these guys are simply not cut out to be successful in the major leagues. And that's fine...getting ripped a new asshole comes with the territory...that's why the paycheck is so big.

I just think it's funny because these guys are just chasing their dreams. The same thing you and I would do if we were a 100th as talented as baseball as they are. And yet you're going after their throats as if they rubbed your face in it back in high school or something.

Yes, some of them are bad major league baseball players. But would you seriously say this s*** to them if you ran into them at a bar or something? I doubt it.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
Again, nobody's saying don't criticize or state your opinion. But the tendency towards broad, sweeping statements not phrased as opinions makes you a lightning rod.

I've also heard you use the "if it was the cubs/twins" thing a few times to try and point out hypocrisy, but I don't think it does. For one, soxtalk goers, as a rule, are not unbiased towards the cubs/twins, they're just biased in the opposite direction. So if you say something like "if Humber was playing for the Cubs, you'd mock them endlessly!" Well, of course I would, because I will go to almost any lengths to mock the Cubs. It's half the fun of being a Sox fan. That doesn't say anything about Humber. Additionally, the "if he was playing for the Twins" thing does not leave room for someone to actually LIKE a player you don't. To use Humber again, if Humber were playing for the Twins, many of us might mock them, but some of us might not because they think he has potential.

Seems like you'd like the right to state your opinion frankly and without backlash. But when you make blanket statements like "so-and-so is terrible, PERIOD" you're really stepping on the toes of other people's opinions. That's why you're getting backlash repeatedly.

I can take the backlash. I'm not as brittle as some think. And nobody would give two s***s what I said about bums like Lillibridge if he weren't a White Sox. And I think that is hypocritical. Tru threw me off a bit. I expect Shack and Balta to get all sensitive and not he able to sense when I'm somewhat joking. But TRU f***in laughed at Adam Dunn's tasteless Japan joke and nobody said a thing. But I make fun of Lillitrash and there's outrage. But I digress. Time to get drunk.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Did he get released, claimed, or is he in AAA?

I think the final decision has to be made by the 16th or 17th. There is an open roster spot in Birmingham now that KW Jr. is on the DL.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
He might have to. The only way he has a spot in Charlotte is if they cut loose Restovich.

Then that would have to be the case. Restovich is clearly just minor league fodder... while milledge still has a chance to produce at the big league level. It a no brainer really.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
Then that would have to be the case. Restovich is clearly just minor league fodder... while milledge still has a chance to produce at the big league level. It a no brainer really.

Restovich is 32. I think that says enough right there.