What is Going Wrong With the Sox

Felix

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
For whatever reason, the Sox, except in 06 and 05, start terribly slow. It seems like in April, they simply suck in all phases of the game. It's early, yes, but at the end of the year, we're always looking back thinking how did we blow this season, and it's usually in April.

It's almost as if you're implying that they are repeatedly unprepared heading into each season....as if spring training is spent joking around and coddling veterans.....eh, it's probably just the cold weather.

Tell you one manager I really like...Kirk Gibson. His first full year. He gets the most out of that crappy lineup. He's a no bs guy. DBags won't do great at all this year...and I really don't like 'em very much...but I do like Gibson. I actually like their coaches too. Don Baylor, Eric Young, Matt Williams, Allan Trammell.

I'm getting sick of this underachiever. Now we can see exactly why Blue Jays fans despised this guy. In 275 PAs after the all-star break last year our $12/$13 million dollar a year CF put up a slash-line of .258/.301/.383/.684. I don't have the defensive numbers, obviously. But I think we all know his defense slipped as well. And that's just unacceptable. He's picked up right where he left off last year with a slash-line of .183/.275/.249/.524. And his defense is still subpar considering his physical talents. And he just doesn't appear to leave everything out on the field. Juan Pierre, Brent Lillibridge, Mark Teahen, Phillip Humber. They have no talent. I expect them to suck. Rios is a joke.

I really need one of those memory sapping flashy devices from MIB that make you forget s***. Between Peavy, Rios and the Pena trade, I want to pretend the summer of '09 never happened.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
He hit the ball hard 3 times tonight. Hopefully he builds off of that.

I saw the game. And he was definitely unlucky. But you know better than anybody how fed up I am of this dude. KW took a risk. I'll give him credit for that. But the return has not been worth it.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
this. (2 weeks into the season lol) well if ozzie should be fired then gardenhire should be fired too, they have a worse record than we do and i dont hear twins fans saying he should be gone because 2 weeks worth of baseball oh and francona too while were at it

Twin fans wanted Gardenhire gone after the post season. Managers get too much blame and credit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
So Rios hasn't been horses*** since the break last year?

We went through this last week in some thread and you promptly ignored me

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=138323

Carey over from season to season is a bunch of s*** and so is assuming someone sucks because he has started slow in 15 games.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)

Carey over from season to season is a bunch of s*** and so is assuming someone sucks because he has started slow in 15 games.

Huh? I said since the break of LAST year. Yeah, he had a good first half. But we're talking more than 300 PAs of s*** since then. And I have no recollection whatsoever of "ignoring you" about anything to do with Rios. Then again, I'm a drunk.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
The reasons for optimism right now are the division standings are backwards, and there are a lot of games left. I still feel our team is fatally flawed and is not going to make the playoffs. However, it appears very possible this divison sucks. So maybe we can get hot midseason, get to an upper 80's win total again, and that'll be enough to get in this time. It's just very frusterating when your bullpen blows, your defense blows, and you're getting off a horrible start to the season after emphasizing starting hot because a bad start basically cost you the playoffs last year.

Another reason for optimism? I think heads will finally roll if this season doesn't work out. And as much as another failed season would suck the big one, at least the change that would be long overdue with another season ending after only 162 games would come. I'd much prefer this team just pick up the pace, though.

I agree with every word of this.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
Man I can't wait when all the people on the ledge say they believed in this team all year.

Nobody ever does that, seriously. So many incorrect things are said about the pessimistic posters. It's like watching Fox News talk about Democrats.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)

If Rios had 5 of those solid contact outs land for hits, his batting average would .254 right now, and this thread wouldn't even exist. 15 games to declare someone as being bad is just stupid. Has he gotten off to a bad start so far? Absolutely. Does he all the sudden suck now? Hahaha, no. Give it at least 100 games before we bury him in the dirt.