Would you support a second football or basketball team in Chicago?

Second teams in the second city?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. NFL team?

• Absolutely, I hate the Bears
    • Yes, if they win
    • No, but I might watch them on TV
    • Not at all
  2. 2. NBA Team?

• Absolutely, I hate the Bulls
    • Yes, if they win
    • No, but I might watch them on TV
    • Not at all

They would probably have cheaper seats at least for the first few seasons. Again, geography would be key. A suburban location would bleed off fans. They wold likely still cheer for the Bears as well, but you would see them attending games at the other stadium.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are underestimating the Bears fandom. Yes, a new stadium in the suburbs would draw some fans. But the Bears rule Chicago and a new team isn't gonna suddenly change that. Expensive or not, there's a reason there is a waiting list for season tickets.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 11:58 PM)
I'm saying that there's so much demand for tickets with the Bears that the average individual can't see them in person without taking out a second mortgage.

A second team would allow for more Chicagoans to experience the NFL in person.

The big problem with this theory ni is that a team these days simply can't be competitive without the big money guys. The people who would spend $20 a ticket can't support a team. The skyboxes are the places that make it profitable. What might work is increasing total capacity, by say, a 100,000-ish person stadium, where you can stick the person who wants to pay $20 far, far away from the playing field but still get their money, but any 2nd team that doesn't nearly completely fill a complement of skyboxes is a failed team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
The big problem with this theory ni is that a team these days simply can't be competitive without the big money guys. The people who would spend $20 a ticket can't support a team. The skyboxes are the places that make it profitable. What might work is increasing total capacity, by say, a 100,000-ish person stadium, where you can stick the person who wants to pay $20 far, far away from the playing field but still get their money, but any 2nd team that doesn't nearly completely fill a complement of skyboxes is a failed team.

With the NFL blackout rules, any new team in the NFL would be stupid to have a 100,000 seat stadium. It is one thing for a team like Dallas to do it, but it would be suicide for a team going into an already established market to do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
With the NFL blackout rules, any new team in the NFL would be stupid to have a 100,000 seat stadium. It is one thing for a team like Dallas to do it, but it would be suicide for a team going into an already established market to do it.

I meant I think that would work for the Bears.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
Instead they just renovated the old one with the smallest capacity in the entire league.

And much like South Africa in District 9, they're stuck with it until someone figures out how to restore its engines and take it back to its home planet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
That waiver would just hurt ticket sale revenue though.

Only 8 home games a season in NFL, especially if they schedule around the Bears for a couple seasons I see no reason why another football team wouldn't sell out in Chicago land area

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 07:01 AM)
I think people are underestimating the Bears fandom. Yes, a new stadium in the suburbs would draw some fans. But the Bears rule Chicago and a new team isn't gonna suddenly change that. Expensive or not, there's a reason there is a waiting list for season tickets.

I think theres a lot of people like me who root for the Bears because they are in Chicago and need an NFL team to root for who would be easy converts. Obviously the Bears would rule this town, but the Cubs rule this town and the White Sox are able to support themselves so I think the new team could create a fan base pretty easily.

However in the NBA it would be harder because theres less people who care about the NBA and need to be a fan of an NBA team, and anyone who does in this city is going to have a tough time turning their back on the Bulls and their history with Jordan. And theres that guy named Derrick Rose on the Bulls who is really fun to watch right now as well.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
i would support a new football team as long as it did not employ anyone named Ted Phillips or Jerry Angelo and it would also have to have its own train stop like the Cell :)

I just looked at your signature and was like wow his daughter looks just like him, and then it clicked. I suck.

I think in general people are overestimating loyalties. I think a second team of either sport in chicago would be the opposite of a new orleans following. Where the first couple years they struggle but would have a much better chance of long term sustainability. This market has proven to have a large amt of people willing to pay to see sports, and i think it probably has room to grow. The NFL is so popular right now it seems the easier option with it's 8 games it needs to sell, but I actually think a basketball team could survive pretty well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
I think in general people are overestimating loyalties. I think a second team of either sport in chicago would be the opposite of a new orleans following. Where the first couple years they struggle but would have a much better chance of long term sustainability. This market has proven to have a large amt of people willing to pay to see sports, and i think it probably has room to grow. The NFL is so popular right now it seems the easier option with it's 8 games it needs to sell, but I actually think a basketball team could survive pretty well.

It has taken Peyton Manning to start to get people in NWI to switch loyalties. Unless the 2nd team offers a big time winner, it doesn't matter.

I honestly think both would succeed. I don't like the Bears, so I would definitely watch the other team. I love the Bulls, but I would definitely check out the other team, especially if they have cheaper ticket prices. A 2nd team in Chicago for either sport can be successful. It really is just dependent on prices and where in Chicago they are located.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
I think theres a lot of people like me who root for the Bears because they are in Chicago and need an NFL team to root for who would be easy converts. Obviously the Bears would rule this town, but the Cubs rule this town and the White Sox are able to support themselves so I think the new team could create a fan base pretty easily.

However in the NBA it would be harder because theres less people who care about the NBA and need to be a fan of an NBA team, and anyone who does in this city is going to have a tough time turning their back on the Bulls and their history with Jordan. And theres that guy named Derrick Rose on the Bulls who is really fun to watch right now as well.

Yeah, but people forget how big this city is, as well as people willing to jump ship, people willing to pay cheaper ticket prices, and people who move from other cities to here. If you're a Knicks fan, and you move to Chicago for a job. You have a choice to root for the Bulls or the new team. You tell me you're going to be a Bulls fans? There's a ton of fans who hate the Bulls because of what Jordan did to them in the 90's.

A ticket in Chicago would be easy to sell as long as it's a winner.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
Yeah, but people forget how big this city is, as well as people willing to jump ship, people willing to pay cheaper ticket prices, and people who move from other cities to here. If you're a Knicks fan, and you move to Chicago for a job. You have a choice to root for the Bulls or the new team. You tell me you're going to be a Bulls fans? There's a ton of fans who hate the Bulls because of what Jordan did to them in the 90's.

A ticket in Chicago would be easy to sell as long as it's a winner.

That hasn't worked for the Sox now has it...

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
I honestly think both would succeed. I don't like the Bears, so I would definitely watch the other team. I love the Bulls, but I would definitely check out the other team, especially if they have cheaper ticket prices. A 2nd team in Chicago for either sport can be successful. It really is just dependent on prices and where in Chicago they are located.

I don't quite understand the first part of your post if you are from Chicago.

If you live in Chicago, and you decide at some age that you like football, the Bears are your team. At least that's how it should work. Yet somehow you don't like that team, live here, then would jump onto a new team also representing Chicago? I don't get it. I mean, I am a die hard Hawks fan, and for all the s*** that happened when I was growing up with them, they were my team. I liked hockey and lived in Chicago. They are my NHL team, for better or for worse, that's just how it works. In baseball you have a decision to make. In the other sports, you don't.