Would you support a second football or basketball team in Chicago?

Second teams in the second city?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. NFL team?

• Absolutely, I hate the Bears
    • Yes, if they win
    • No, but I might watch them on TV
    • Not at all
  2. 2. NBA Team?

• Absolutely, I hate the Bulls
    • Yes, if they win
    • No, but I might watch them on TV
    • Not at all

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
A second basketball team would fail in Chicago.

A second NFL team with nicer facilities and decent prices might succeed though.

A second NFL team that won a bit would succeed. This city can only deal with Lovie/Angelo/McCaskeys for so long

A second basketball team would fail, hence why I said "inexplicably".

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
A second NFL team that won a bit would succeed. This city can only deal with Lovie/Angelo/McCaskeys for so long

A second basketball team would fail, hence why I said "inexplicably".

Bring Jacksonville or Buffalo. But only if they win.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
Bring Jacksonville or Buffalo. But only if they win.

IMO, the city's football demand would be better served by building a Dallas-style Football palace than by adding in a 2nd team. The fact that the Bears have a century-long head start means that the 2nd team would be the Clippers for decades.

Chicago is a strong basketball market... the second team would probably never even be comparable to the White Sox vs. the Cubs in popularity compared to the Bulls, but it wouldn't be a failure either. A lot of people would go just on GP.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
A second basketball team would fail in Chicago.

A second NFL team with nicer facilities and decent prices might succeed though.

I can't see any NFL team taking fans from the Bears for at least a generation. Chicago people in general are Bears fans first, and then fans of the other teams. Heck even many Bulls fans were Jordan fans first.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
I can't see any NFL team taking fans from the Bears for at least a generation. Chicago people in general are Bears fans first, and then fans of the other teams. Heck even many Bulls fans were Jordan fans first.

A second NFL team would probably get me as a fan. Although I'm a bears fan, pretty sure I'd be an easy convert.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
A second NFL team would probably get me as a fan. Although I'm a bears fan, pretty sure I'd be an easy convert.

Same here. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of people in the same boat. The general ineptitude of the franchise combined with the obnoxious fanbase makes it hard to be a Bears fan.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)

This. I like the Bears, but I am not a die hard by any stretch of the imagination. If the new team made the right moves they could easily win me over.

A second basketball team winning me over? Not a chance.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
This. I like the Bears, but I am not a die hard by any stretch of the imagination. If the new team made the right moves they could easily win me over.

+1

Yep, no chance I'd like any basketball team except the Bulls.

A suburban team of either sport would have a chance. I believe the revenue structure in football would make a NFL team an easier success. Imagine a Sunday game in Schaumburg at an indoor facility. Easy access via rail or road, restaurants close by, shopping at Woodfield for the rest of the family. hell, they could run shuttles from their parking lots.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
s***ty field, stupid looking stadium, jacked up prices, horrible ownership... I'd at least watch a second team if they were in the AFC. Plus, I might actually be able to find decent seats.

so are you more of a stadium fan than a fan of a team?

BTW, the inside of Soldier field is pretty awesome, far superior to the venue it replaced. And pretty much all NFL tickets are jacked up, unless you want to move to a city that really doesnt give a s***, and thats actually pretty hard to find.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
so are you more of a stadium fan than a fan of a team?

BTW, the inside of Soldier field is pretty awesome, far superior to the venue it replaced. And pretty much all NFL tickets are jacked up, unless you want to move to a city that really doesnt give a s***, and thats actually pretty hard to find.

No, I'm saying that the Bears make it difficult for Joe Average to be more than a TV fan of them.

The Colts and Lions have nosebleed seats for 20 bucks - the Bears do not.

Plus, new Soldier Field and its s***y turf is a joke compared against new stadiums.

The Bears don't need to have 20 dollar seats, so why would they?

And pretty much every "joe fan" walking around this city is a Bears fan first, everything else second, so I don't think they are missing out on any part of the market. Hell, most fans around the country are just "tv fans" because millions upon millions watch and there are only 8 home games per home team anyway.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I'm saying that there's so much demand for tickets with the Bears that the average individual can't see them in person without taking out a second mortgage.

A second team would allow for more Chicagoans to experience the NFL in person.