Five is Enough - Turning this S*** Around Game Thread

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Neither, it's the managing. The hitting and pitching will at least come around.

How does the managing make more contact? How's does the manager make pitchers throw more strikes?

It's the players. We aren't above avg in anything.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
18th in ERA

23rd in baa

10th in batting avg

14th obp

13th in ops

First 12 innings of the season though greatly impact the offensive stats. Hey, I was all for hoping the offense struggled cause of the great pitchers we faced, but we looked awful tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
Why does it feel that I'm the only person who thinks the Tigers have the most talent in the AL Central?

you're not - i've been scoffed at for fearing them. See the Diamond threads. But it's not like they're setting the league on fire either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
Why does it feel that I'm the only person who thinks the Tigers have the most talent in the AL Central?

Because they don't? I mean Verlander and Miggy are phenomenal but beyond that its really paltry. Then again, this is a pretty barren division. I think the Twins and Sox still have more talent collectively.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
First 12 innings of the season though greatly impact the offensive stats. Hey, I was all for hoping the offense struggled cause of the great pitchers we faced, but we looked awful tonight.

So if you adjust that, the players haven't performed well at anything. Hard to put that on the manager and a few bunts. The players we have aren't very good right now and it's about time to realize that they are at fault. Losses make a manager look bad and wins make you forget they even exist.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
hey how about that guy,whats him name, tony pena? he managed the royals now hes a coach for the yankees. he got the players to play really well in 04, or does his managing skills suck too?

why is he a bench coach then?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
So if you adjust that, the players haven't performed well at anything. Hard to put that on the manager and a few bunts. The players we have aren't very good right now and it's about time to realize that they are at fault. Losses make a manager look bad and wins make you forget they even exist.

I said the same thing earlier about how good pitching/hitting makes managers look better. Ozzie's lineups have been fine this year, it's just the overuse of bunting seems to be out of control. The two huge mistakes he made with our pitchers was pulling Buehrle last Monday and then not letting Crain start the 9th last Wednesday (a game that seems to have deflated the team).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)

I blame the manager for the team failing at fundamentals. Even today, Rios took a bad route and dropped a sure out that turned into a double, Konerko got picked off, Gordon f***ed up a double play. This team's defense has been lacking all season and it's really simple things that should be stressed.

ozzie has changed a bit huh, i remember how all the players used to say how much they loved playing for him and that he was the best manager theyve ever played for and now u never hear players really praise him or anything and there seems to be more disgruntled players leaving than saying good things

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:19 AM)
I blame the manager for the team failing at fundamentals. Even today, Rios took a bad route and dropped a sure out that turned into a double, Konerko got picked off, Gordon f***ed up a double play. This team's defense has been lacking all season and it's really simple things that should be stressed.

The outfield dropping flyballs is not on Ozzie. If those overpaid busters can't catch a ball, then they should bench themselves.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)

but isnt that more on the coaches like cora,etc?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)

So he's responsible for every mistake a player makes during the game?