AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Balta1701

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
one of the strangest unwritten rules in baseball about pitchers not catching pop-ups, seen it backfire a decent amount of times.

He didn't even seem to watch the ball. Show a little interest.

Watched that game on ESPN. Humber threwe a beauty. He was going to make up for a weak offesne. But I saw signs I saw things to make me think we are getting ready to break out of it. Konerko was the leader again, but Dunn is showing up for work now too

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
He has looked very Jon Garlandish in his starts so far. Anyone else seen that?

When his curveball is on he reminds me so much of Gavin Floyd it's scary. Don't see the Garland in him necessarily.

Humber was great. Kudos to him.

Sergio looked like he belonged. He's the only guy on this staff capable of closing regularly I believe, though Thornton and Sergio and Sale might be a decent closer by committee if Oz reads them right on a given night.

The offense sucked big-time again, but Sox won and that's all that matters.

The most important thing (IMO) about this start for Humber, is now he has film to go and watch, and make sure he repeats the motions. He pitched incredible against a great offense. This is PERFECT footage for him to study. This isn't a guy getting through a mediocre Royals offense. These are very good hitters, and he did a great job. I hope Coop has the game footage ready for him to learn.

I said in the game thread I had a feeling we were taking this series...one down, Two to go! Lets keep it goin' boys!

There's 3 to go and a sweep takes a series too. God, if we could only hit like we did the first 9. The Yankees pitching is so unimpressive.

Phil Humber: 2-2 25.1 IP, 1 HR, 1.07 WHIP, 3.20 ERA

That's $. Look at that WHIP. And against the most disciplined hitting team (statistically speaking) in baseball.

I was thinking of the Garland curveball circa 2004-6. Quick breaker.

Definitely a hook; not a slider.

Thankfully someone has finally stepped in as the closer. He has to do it a few more times to prove it, but it's nice to know he can get it done.

Humber, what can you say? The guy has been way more than we should have ever reasonably expected. Is there any chance he can put together an entire season worth of good starts?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
Thankfully someone has finally stepped in as the closer. He has to do it a few more times to prove it, but it's nice to know he can get it done.

Humber, what can you say? The guy has been way more than we should have ever reasonably expected. Is there any chance he can put together an entire season worth of good starts?

There's as good a chance of that as there is for Peavy ;)

I turned the game on during the 5th inning and was surprised to see the Sox winning. I was damn near floored when I saw Humber had a no hitter going. I didn't think he would be able to get the no hitter (there's got to be a ton of pressure in Yankee Stadium). But I was extremely impressed with his performance. It was nice to hear the announcers actually acknowledge how well he was pitching, although they were praising Burnett even more.

Santos looked good. I think he needs to be the closer. Remember last year that his pitching faltered a bit towards the end. I wonder if that was a result of a lot of innings. Maybe being in the closer role would cut down on his innings and allow him to remain sharp all year.

As I mentioned elsewhere - I think the game thread, which has been archived - Santos threw 28.2 IP in the minors in 2009. It's a small amount of innings, but for s***s and gigs, I looked up his first 28.2 from last year.

1.88 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 4.7 BB/9, 10 K/9, .234/.341/.290/.631 against, .329 BABIP

That is not including his next outing in Minnesota, where he got a blown save and went 0+ IP.

His final 23 innings, including the Minnesota fiasco...

4.30 ERA, 1.70 WHIP, 4.3 BB/9, 9.4 K/9, .292/.364/.396/.760 against, .371 BABIP

He had already been getting pretty unlucky on balls in play during the first portion of that, but it went to a monumental new height afterwards. .371 is entirely unsustainable and with any luck at all, his line looks a bit better.

So, if that holds true, Santos should be pretty good this year until about September, but hopefully at that point his body is conditioned enough that it will be able to handle an extra 10-20 innings.

He's definitely a keeper.