Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 2, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm not celebrating (in the sense that I am outside cheering) but a mass murderer is dead and I think I'm cool with it.

The other side of this comes in the vein of trying to improve our image in the world. There was a lot of talk about how our actions looked to the rest of the world during the Bush years, and those kids of celebrations aren't going to help it at all. The best way I know how to put it is like this. How would we have felt if it was our President who got shot, and we got to watch the people responsible for it (in a nation sense) celebrate publicly, knowing that they too were responsible for a lot of deaths around the world?

you know what is weird to me, for my entire life i was told that Saddam Hussein was the epitome of evil, the man that needed to go down due to his mean streak and the people who he killed along the way to his reign of power. When he was hung, it was like the world nodded and said "yep, needed to be done".

bin laden finally gets his due, and people flooded the streets for a party.

i understand saddam never attacked the united states in a coordinated terror attack like bin laden, but from what i have read, he ordered the deaths of tens of thousands of people just the same, just not on US soil.

Im not condemning anyone for acting the way they are, it was just something i was thinking about

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
The other side of this comes in the vein of trying to improve our image in the world. There was a lot of talk about how our actions looked to the rest of the world during the Bush years, and those kids of celebrations aren't going to help it at all. The best way I know how to put it is like this. How would we have felt if it was our President who got shot, and we got to watch the people responsible for it (in a nation sense) celebrate publicly, knowing that they too were responsible for a lot of deaths around the world?

I agree (you're sounding kind of like a lefty though, lol, that's one of the things we've been saying)

I guess it's like... do you want to be that guy who acts like Dwyane Wade, who goes to dunk while the guy guarding him is letting him dribble out the clock because the game is won?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
I was 11 during the events of September 11th. Like my peers, it was one of the most vivid days of my life. I remember being completely shellshocked about the events and what I was seeing. Up to that point, I was taught that America was the greatest, invincible. All of the sudden, that changed in an instant. We went from world-conquering power to being under attack by some random guy thousands of miles away. This was pretty damning to an 11 year old to take on and understand. It has definitely had a lasting effect on me.

Fast forward a decade, we have been in multiple wars that in hindsight people think were pretty pointless. We caused one of the greatest economic downfalls ever. And now this. I don't think people were necessarily celebrating to celebrate the death of Osama. Rather, we were celebrating because America did something great, something that no one else could apparently do. Something that was a decade in the making. For the first time in my generation's life, we could celebrate the greatness of our country. And that's a good thing.

I know I'm like 10 pages behind with this. But this post sums up why college students celebrated last night perfectly.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I just don't think it should be ignored.

You don't think college kids being idiots should be ignored? Because I do, regardless of the reason for which they are doing it.

I'm not saying any reaction is right or wrong. On 9/11 there was an outpouring of Americans, of all ages, races, creeds, religions, all with about the same reaction. The celebrations I saw last night where mostly young people 18-25. Perhaps it was the time of the announcement. But while there was a very common respond to the 9/11 attacks, our responses seem to be much different to his death.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)

Is this a fitting celebration?

Not really seeing a problem with a celebration that caused zero vandalism and zero arrest. The police blocked off the streets so we could celebrate. I guess chanting USA and the singing the National Anthem of this great nation is too much for you though. You've admittedly said you don't feel a lot of patriotism for america though, which is why you probably don't agree with the celebrations. I however felt a great amount of patriotism last night by participating in those chants. It was more a celebration of America being awesome than the death of Osama.

This event took our generations innocence away, and for the last decade we've been dealing with wars that our generation is fighting in(including some of my friends), a broken economy and dealing with graduating into a horrible job market. So forgive me for wanting to celebrate and feel patriotism for our nation when its been kind of hard to do that the last 10 years.

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Not really seeing a problem with a celebration that caused zero vandalism and zero arrest. The police blocked off the streets so we could celebrate. I guess chanting USA and the singing the National Anthem of this great nation is too much for you though. You've admittedly said you don't feel a lot of patriotism for america though, which is why you probably don't agree with the celebrations. I however felt a great amount of patriotism last night by participating in those chants. It was more a celebration of America being awesome than the death of Osama.

This event took our generations innocence away, and for the last decade we've been dealing with wars that our generation is fighting in(including some of my friends), a broken economy and dealing with graduating into a horrible job market. So forgive me for wanting to celebrate and feel patriotism for our nation when its been kind of hard to do that the last 10 years.

Really?

The west wing of the white house ten days ago . . .

"Mr. President, we need something bold and decisive now that you announced you are running for reelection. How about we get serious about killing Osama Bin Laden?"

"Damn, we've been trying for 9 years, we've had all of our best people looking for him. I just think it is futile. What else you got?"

"Well the Sox are 6 games back and really struggling, maybe we could right that ship"

"Get Gates on the phone, I have an idea about that Bin Laden . . . "

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
No.

He absolutely was. He was giving credit to Obama but everything after the first couple of sentences was pure sarcasm. If I had the quote up I'd bold the parts where he was being over-the-top and making fun of the media. He was saying "nobody else, not a single member of his national security team or general could've come up with this idea, it was all Obama"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)

I love how we're concerned about pissing off people that want to kill us. Yes, let's be really worried about pissing them off more.

Seriously, if this were a regular, run of the mill terorrist killed on the battlefield, then sure, you make a good point. But this was an enemy of the world. This was an enemy of the religion he was supposedly protecting. These concerns do not apply and any sane person in the world would understand his death and the happiness it brings the American people, who suffered the most because of him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)

I...er, uh...yeah. What ss2k5 said.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
I love how we're concerned about pissing off people that want to kill us. Yes, let's be really worried about pissing them off more.

Seriously, if this were a regular, run of the mill terorrist killed on the battlefield, then sure, you make a good point. But this was an enemy of the world. This was an enemy of the religion he was supposedly protecting. These concerns do not apply and any sane person in the world would understand his death and the happiness it brings

Yeahbut...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

the American people, who suffered the most because of him.
Bin Laden's done a lot of s***ty things to a lot of people. Yeah, 9/11 was the highest profile simply because of who the target was, but this isn't only an American thing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
He absolutely was. He was giving credit to Obama but everything after the first couple of sentences was pure sarcasm. If I had the quote up I'd bold the parts where he was being over-the-top and making fun of the media. He was saying "nobody else, not a single member of his national security team or general could've come up with this idea, it was all Obama"

I didn't hear it that way. I heard the guy give Obama credit. I heard him say thanks. So what if he was making fun of all the praise that's going strictly to one guy (which, in a general sense, it is, but not from everyone so I don't agree with him exactly). Some here, within hours, expected him to come out and do the exact opposite of what he did.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
I didn't hear it that way. I heard the guy give Obama credit. I heard him say thanks. So what if he was making fun of all the praise that's going strictly to one guy (which, in a general sense, it is, but not from everyone so I don't agree with him exactly). Some here, within hours, expected him to come out and do the exact opposite of what he did.

He gave Obama credit for following Bush policies. It was about the best damage control, bash-Democrats-and-boost-Republicans rush could manage in that sort of situation.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
I love how we're concerned about pissing off people that want to kill us.

I could be wrong, but I believe it is more of a concern of pissing off the people that don't want to kill us but could be convinced we are evil and should be killed. We keep creating more enemies and wondering why the world gets more dangerous. Contrast the President's speech, which was very carefully written to not only not celebrate, but not to piss off too many people and point out the evil Bin Laden has inflicted on everyone, not just Americans.

Again, I am not wanting to say those waving flags and singing were wrong, just trying to keep the dialog moving along and fostering understanding.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
Yeahbut...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bin Laden's done a lot of s***ty things to a lot of people. Yeah, 9/11 was the highest profile simply because of who the target was, but this isn't only an American thing.

Ok, well if we want to live in fantasy land where human emotion doesn't exist then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place...

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I could be wrong, but I believe it is more of a concern of pissing off the people that don't want to kill us but could be convinced we are evil and should be killed.

I think it's more us coming across as a bunch of barbarous, blood-thirsty douchebags that we're always complaining about.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I could be wrong, but I believe it is more of a concern of pissing off the people that don't want to kill us but could be convinced we are evil and should be killed. We keep creating more enemies and wondering why the world gets more dangerous. Contrast the President's speech, which was very carefully written to not only not celebrate, but not to piss off too many people and point out the evil Bin Laden has inflicted on everyone, not just Americans.

Again, I am not wanting to say those waving flags and singing were wrong, just trying to keep the dialog moving along and fostering understanding.

Again, I agree if this were a different guy. But this is enemy of the world #1. It's not some nobody we're celebrating here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
I think it's more us coming across as a bunch of barbarous, blood-thirsty douchebags that we're always complaining about.

Which could take those people "on the fence" and move them to America is evil and wants all Muslims dead point of view. And yeah, we are pretty damn good at killing people for good reasons, just ask most of the countries that have pissed us off.