How to Get Viciedo in the Line UP

Lillian

It appears as though Viciedo has completely recovered from his broken thumb, and has resumed the hot hitting he displayed last year when he was called up, and this year in Spring Training. The problem is how to get him in the lineup.

Here's my suggestion: Put him in the outfield, probably in right because of his arm.

Move Quentin back to LF.

Sit Pierre

Now, the team needs a lead off man. One solution would be to give Lillibridge a shot at 3RD Base.

Morel hasn't shown much, and his defense has not been as advertized.

Lillibridge has played really well, going back to last September, and deserves a shot at some more playing time.

He'd probably be at least as good at leading off as Pierre has been, and he's arguably a better all around player.

So, why not substitue one Brent for another at 3Rd?

The lineup could really be scarey if you add Viciedo, and get the rest of the guys performing up to their normal level.

3RD Lillibridge

SS Ramirez

LF Quentin

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

RF Viciedo

C A. J.

CF Rios

2B Beckham

If Beckham and Rios start hitting, they could be moved up in the order.

If Beckham doesn't start hitting, Vizquel should be given playing time at Second, and place in the number 2 hole, where he is at his best offensively.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Lillibridge would be overexposed as a starter, and he's hardly ever played 3B in his career.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp...llibridge.shtml

In fact, he's NEVER played 3B in his life that I can see as a starter. Only SS, 2B and CF. His career at the University of Washington, he spent a lot of time in the outfield but none at hot corner.

The White Sox aren't going to risk this kind of grasping for straws move with a $128 milllion payroll. Ozzie will stick with Pierre.

You'd have a lot stronger argument if you put Viciedo at 3B again, but they're simply not going to do that, either. In all likelihood, they'll give the playing time to Vizquel first, like last year.

The easy solution would be to put Viciedo in RF and Quentin in LF. I was thinking that would be horrible defensively but ,with the way Pierre has been playing, it can't be much worse. As for the lineup, if everyone would hit to their capabilities, a nice lineup would be:

Rios

Morel

Dunn

Konerko

Quentin

Viciedo

AJ

Ramirez

Beckham

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 04:31 AM)
Because Lillibridge would be overexposed as a starter, and he's hardly ever played 3B in his career.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp...llibridge.shtml

In fact, he's NEVER played 3B in his life that I can see as a starter. Only SS, 2B and CF. His career at the University of Washington, he spent a lot of time in the outfield but none at hot corner.

The White Sox aren't going to risk this kind of grasping for straws move with a $128 milllion payroll. Ozzie will stick with Pierre.

You'd have a lot stronger argument if you put Viciedo at 3B again, but they're simply not going to do that, either. In all likelihood, they'll give the playing time to Vizquel first, like last year.

I'm not convinced that he couldn't handle the "hot corner", but if you're right, why not consider letting either Beckham or Vizquel play 3RD?

Lillibridge could certainly handle Second. You understand that the motive in all of this is to get Viciedo in the lineup. Don't you think that lowest defensive liability would result from putting Viciedo in RF and Lillibridge in the infield?

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:58 AM)
I'm not convinced that he couldn't handle the "hot corner", but if you're right, why not consider letting either Beckham or Vizquel play 3RD?

Lillibridge could certainly handle Second. You understand that the motive in all of this is to get Viciedo in the lineup. Don't you think that lowest defensive liability would result from putting Viciedo in RF and Lillibridge in the infield?

Maybe. But Ozzie almost always has preferred going with the steady, veteran hand. In this case, he'll defer to Omar Vizquel first.

There's just no way with Beckham struggling again offensively and seemingly having adapted to playing an above average MLB 2B that they'll move him again.

If you put Viciedo in LF, you're also changing Quentin away from a position he's finally grown comfortable playing. Probably not the wisest idea to do that in the middle of the season, it's more of an off-season move that you prefer him for mentally.

If Quentin was also struggling offensively, I'd take a chance and think about moving him to LF, but not at this point in the season.

Heck, they might be more likely to stick Dunn in LF and DH Viciedo than they would be to move both Quentin and Beckham again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)
Maybe. But Ozzie almost always has preferred going with the steady, veteran hand. In this case, he'll defer to Omar Vizquel first.

There's just no way with Beckham struggling again offensively and seemingly having adapted to playing an above average MLB 2B that they'll move him again.

If you put Viciedo in LF, you're also changing Quentin away from a position he's finally grown comfortable playing. Probably not the wisest idea to do that in the middle of the season, it's more of an off-season move that you prefer him for mentally.

If Quentin was also struggling offensively, I'd take a chance and think about moving him to LF, but not at this point in the season.

Heck, they might be more likely to stick Dunn in LF and DH Viciedo than they would be to move both Quentin and Beckham again.

Ok. So how about Quentin in RF, Viciedo in LF, Vizquel at 3Rd, Lillibridge at 2B and leading off?

Bench Pierre, and figure out what to do with Beckham. Maybe he needs some time at AAA.

Do you even favor the idea of trying to get Viciedo in the lineup? If so, how would you do it? I don't think that you were really serious about putting Dunn in LF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 12, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
I'm with Lillian. Just get JP off the field. I can't take it anymore.

Yup, call up Viciedo, put him in LF, and DFA Pierre. It's really that simple. I'm fine with Rios or Ramirez leading off or even Vizquel when he plays. Almost anything that gets Pierre out of the lineup will improve the offense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Yup, call up Viciedo, put him in LF, and DFA Pierre. It's really that simple. I'm fine with Rios or Ramirez leading off or even Vizquel when he plays. Almost anything that gets Pierre out of the lineup will improve the offense.

As long as Juan Pierre is on this roster, he'll be starting and leading off for Guillen.

The only way you can possibly make that change is to DFA him.

If you sent down someone or DL'd Teahen, Viciedo would wind up starting at 3b sometimes and Pierre would still be the everyday LF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
As long as Juan Pierre is on this roster, he'll be starting and leading off for Guillen.

The only way you can possibly make that change is to DFA him.

If you sent down someone or DL'd Teahen, Viciedo would wind up starting at 3b sometimes and Pierre would still be the everyday LF.

Sad but true. Maybe he gives him a day or two off to clear his mind, but I don't see him benching him long-term.

The thing is, Juan currently serves little purpose on the bench either. Even as a pinch runner, his SB% is under 50%, so his speed may help on a base hit, but he won't steal a base. He's not a defensive replacement anymore and he won't get the big pinch-hit.

Gotta DFA Pierre, this is the key. I get that he works hard, but I would work hard if they put me on the roster too. Quentin in LF, Viciedo in RF. Leave Morel at 3rd base and let him do his thing. I don't care who leads off, cause it doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:13 AM)
It appears as though Viciedo has completely recovered from his broken thumb, and has resumed the hot hitting he displayed last year when he was called up, and this year in Spring Training. The problem is how to get him in the lineup.

Here's my suggestion: Put him in the outfield, probably in right because of his arm.

Move Quentin back to LF.

Sit Pierre

Now, the team needs a lead off man. One solution would be to give Lillibridge a shot at 3RD Base.

Morel hasn't shown much, and his defense has not been as advertized.

Lillibridge has played really well, going back to last September, and deserves a shot at some more playing time.

He'd probably be at least as good at leading off as Pierre has been, and he's arguably a better all around player.

So, why not substitue one Brent for another at 3Rd?

The lineup could really be scarey if you add Viciedo, and get the rest of the guys performing up to their normal level.

3RD Lillibridge

SS Ramirez

LF Quentin

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

RF Viciedo

C A. J.

CF Rios

2B Beckham

If Beckham and Rios start hitting, they could be moved up in the order.

If Beckham doesn't start hitting, Vizquel should be given playing time at Second, and place in the number 2 hole, where he is at his best offensively.

I like this idea and most certainly, it CANNOT get worse than JP in our order. How pathetic that it will likely take 2 more months of dropped fly balls and horrible base running for Ozzie most likely to get it. Prove me wrong Ozzie!

If Lilli doesn't work out at 3B, put Becks back there and Lilli at 2B as Becks played just fine in 2009 at 3B. And of course he had his best year there (103 games) in a White Sox Uniform.

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ May 12, 2011 -> 06:03 AM)
Gotta DFA Pierre, this is the key. I get that he works hard, but I would work hard if they put me on the roster too. Quentin in LF, Viciedo in RF. Leave Morel at 3rd base and let him do his thing. I don't care who leads off, cause it doesn't matter.

This. Just get rid of Pierre. DFA him and bring in Viciedo. At least if DV struggles at the plate a bit you know the upside is there. We don't have an ideal leadoff man but who cares, we're a better team with Pierre out of the lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
As long as Juan Pierre is on this roster

The question is, why the f*** is he still on this roster? Anyone with half a brain would tell you he needs to go. Who the hell is in charge?!?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
You have no idea if that is actually true or not.

Really, yes, we do know that is true.

Juan Pierre flat out has lost the ability to catch baseballs. Adam Dunn in LF right now wouldn't be much worse than Juan Pierre.

I think it's a mental thing. It's the "Yips" if you will. Every time a ball comes to his glove he's thinking about the 9 other times he dropped a ball this season and the ball bounds off his glove.

Who cares if a guy has less range in LF if the guy with more range can't catch the ball?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
Really, yes, we do know that is true.

Juan Pierre flat out has lost the ability to catch baseballs. Adam Dunn in LF right now wouldn't be much worse than Juan Pierre.

I think it's a mental thing. It's the "Yips" if you will. Every time a ball comes to his glove he's thinking about the 9 other times he dropped a ball this season and the ball bounds off his glove.

Who cares if a guy has less range in LF if the guy with more range can't catch the ball?

Dude had a fluke stretch, and now you are going to project that as the norm, and use that to endorse a guy you have never seen play LF? Uh, ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
Dude had a fluke stretch, and now you are going to project that as the norm, and use that to endorse a guy you have never seen play LF? Uh, ok.

This hasn't been a few days or a week. It's been well over a month now. He cannot be trusted out there anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)

I get what you're saying and on principle you're right, it's possibly a slump, but the simple reality is, he doesn't have any other good reason to keep playing him to get through that slump.

He's not able to provide the running game any more, so he doesn't contribute in the lineup. That's not just a fluke, we saw it building last year, and the speed to steal just isnt' there any more. He doesn't provide a high OBP, or power, or anything else really useful.

If he can't provide excellent defense, he's hurting us in every facet of the game.

Furthermore...even if he pulls out of the defensive slump...there's really no reason to expect improvement from him. He's not some 22 year old 3b that just came up from AAA like Morel, even if he turns those yips around in the field, he's not producing wins any more.